Dallas' Caucasian population is shrinking

Kimberly, you should change the title to "Dallas County", as this also concerns Garland, Carrollton, and other close in suburbs.

This is more or less the white flight from close in suburbs that many other areas are facing.

• 4 weeks later...

Where are the white people going?

I had a family friend in the real estate business.

Rule of Thumb: When the colored people come, the white people run.

Anyways, he told me since 2002 caucasians preferred to move even further then the suburbs of Houston. People in Centerville, Beaumont, Taylor, etc.

Is it part of 'White' culture to live in a secluded area by yourself or something?

"White flight" was only a threat to a city or area when white people had all or most of the money. Things are fast changing and that is no longer the case. My guess is no one will care if theres "white flight" or not........

Houston is a prime example of that. The Africans and Asians/meaning all parts of the Asian continent, are moving in often times with superior educations and are achieving the leading economic earnings in the city.

Where are the white people going?

I had a family friend in the real estate business.

Rule of Thumb: When the colored people come, the white people run.

Anyways, he told me since 2002 caucasians preferred to move even further then the suburbs of Houston. People in Centerville, Beaumont, Taylor, etc.

Is it part of 'White' culture to live in a secluded area by yourself or something?

Many Caucasians go to Collin County, Rockwall County, and Denton County.

"White flight" was only a threat to a city or area when white people had all or most of the money. Things are fast changing and that is no longer the case. My guess is no one will care if theres "white flight" or not........

Houston is a prime example of that. The Africans and Asians/meaning all parts of the Asian continent, are moving in often times with superior educations and are achieving the leading economic earnings in the city.

Yes, I think it is more of an "economic flight." I think affluent people will always want to be near the upscale (in Texas this typically means newer) developments. As areas become older and less maintained, those people seek to move to newer areas. While a greater number of white people may be higher on the economic scale, I don't think the "flight" is all white. For instance, Sugar Land and First Colony is very affluent, upscale, and diverse.

EVERY culture does this to some extend. To me, the concept of a single homogenized culture is a more deflating proposition than the bigotry which we must endure today.

It will be interesting to follow economic neighborhood movement in the Dallas area. The satellite cities have historically been built for middle class to upper middle class, leaving the Central City for the poor and super rich. Most of the swankiest neighborhoods in the Dallas area are close the Central Busines District, and one (re)developing downtown neighborhood is on track to end up with both the highest concentration and greatest number of million dollar dwellings in the region - probably in the entire South Central US.

The population churn between Dallas County and Dallas satellite communities (aka caucasian population shrinking) is less motivated today by ethnic comfort levels than by economic factors. The caucasian population in Dallas County will probably stop shrinking before the end of the decade as the Southern half of the county begins a middle class neighborhood expansion.

• 1 month later...

Archived