CarFax

jm1fd

Not that I know of. If it was, everybody would just clear their cookies and they'd go out of business.
'

I used Carfax when I bought a used Audi back in 2001. the car was 3 years old and it told the whole history of the car. Pretty Cool and I think it was only $20-$30.

'

I used Carfax when I bought a used Audi back in 2001. the car was 3 years old and it told the whole history of the car. Pretty Cool and I think it was only $20-$30.

They're hit or miss. Some states/companies report accidents that don't total the car, and others don't, and that's the biggest shortcoming of a CarFax.

They're hit or miss. Some states/companies report accidents that don't total the car, and others don't, and that's the biggest shortcoming of a CarFax.

My wife is currently trying to sell her car, and the only accident she's been in wasn't reported through Carfax. I thought that was pretty odd.

My wife is currently trying to sell her car, and the only accident she's been in wasn't reported through Carfax. I thought that was pretty odd.

Orikal, if there wasn't a police report filed or if your claim to the insurance company wasn't a certain amount, it will not justify a claim on Carfax.

OK jmifd, I ran your Carfax, I don't know what "Katrina victim" means,and it has only had 6 owners apparently, but those were the only alerts I could see on this report. :blink:

Just kidding, the Truck is clean, 1 owner truck, PM me a fax number and I'll get it over to you. The guy has had it 2 years and it looks like he wants to get rid of it before he has to get it inspected again. Clean checks all the way around though. :D

OK jmifd, I ran your Carfax, I don't know what "Katrina victim" means,and it has only had 6 owners apparently, but those were the only alerts I could see on this report. :blink:

Just kidding, the Truck is clean, 1 owner truck, PM me a fax number and I'll get it over to you. The guy has had it 2 years and it looks like he wants to get rid of it before he has to get it inspected again. Clean checks all the way around though. :D

Well, the auction already went blazing past what I was going to pay for it, so its a moot point now. Thanks for running the search anyway.

Orikal, if there wasn't a police report filed or if your claim to the insurance company wasn't a certain amount, it will not justify a claim on Carfax.

That isn't exactly true. I have a car that had an extended warranty, and everytime I made a claim, no matter how small, it always showed up. Then I was rear ended at 3 MPH and had a $3k claim to the other driver's insurance company, and it never showed up.

It depends on what entity has the information. Some, I dare say MANY, don't report data into the CarFax system.

I will second the questioning the CarFax data or at least not placing 100% trust in it. Approx 3 years ago I T'd a smaller pickup truck with my Chevy 1500 when he decided to test his luck and accelerate from the other side of a waiting concrete truck at the Foley's Warehouse and 45 Feeder to head southbound 45. He couldn't see the three on coming lanes of traffic but the guy just before him tried it and just made it, but he didn't.

Anyhow my truck was totaled and was really bad. His truck and himself were worse but I pulled my old truck up using Carfax when I was car shopping almost a year ago and it showed that it was clean and was registered up in Tennessee or something. The other guy didn't have insurance hence Geico my insurance paid out under the Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

To sum it up, it was fine, it was then totaled, and now as far as Carfax knows 2 years after the accident it's still fine!!! I would hate to be the new owner of that truck. Actually I even emailed/called CarFax to let them know and the lady on the phone didn't seem to care a bit. That pissed me off even more then the uninsured driver.

Scharpe St Guy

Well, the auction already went blazing past what I was going to pay for it, so its a moot point now. Thanks for running the search anyway.

That isn't exactly true. I have a car that had an extended warranty, and everytime I made a claim, no matter how small, it always showed up. Then I was rear ended at 3 MPH and had a $3k claim to the other driver's insurance company, and it never showed up.

It depends on what entity has the information. Some, I dare say MANY, don't report data into the CarFax system.

If you took it to the dealership to get the work done on your extended warranty, it will always show up, Dealers report service doen to a database that is public info, which is where Carfax pulls from. Like I said about insurance claims, if it isn't significant to them, they won't report it. You were lucky it didn't come up. Could have cost you some trade-in value.

If you took it to the dealership to get the work done on your extended warranty, it will always show up, Dealers report service doen to a database that is public info, which is where Carfax pulls from. Like I said about insurance claims, if it isn't significant to them, they won't report it. You were lucky it didn't come up. Could have cost you some trade-in value.

Oh yes...I'm well aware of diminished value. I'm actually pursuing it for a different 3rd party claim with a different car at the moment, but the ins co is not being cooperative, surprise surprise.

It was actually the warranty company doing the reporting, since it went to a couple different small independent shops.

Extended warranty only, or stardard warranty as well?

My old car was repurchased by the manufacturer after 2 transmission failures. It wasn't officially a lemon law case, but my attorney convinced them to just buy it back under the same guidelines. 6-8 months later I ran a CarFax on it out of curiousity. No change in the title, showed up like I still owned it. Wouldn't/shouldn't that trigger something in the reporting? I know if I was a consumer, I would expect it to, especially if it was sitting on Acu***, ummm, a dealer's used car lot. :)

Then again, I ran a CarFax on a 4Runner my sister was looking at, and it came back saying it had been totalled and then repaired. So at least then it did work as expected.

Extended warranty only, or stardard warranty as well?

My old car was repurchased by the manufacturer after 2 transmission failures. It wasn't officially a lemon law case, but my attorney convinced them to just buy it back under the same guidelines. 6-8 months later I ran a CarFax on it out of curiousity. No change in the title, showed up like I still owned it. Wouldn't/shouldn't that trigger something in the reporting? I know if I was a consumer, I would expect it to, especially if it was sitting on Acu***, ummm, a dealer's used car lot. :)

Then again, I ran a CarFax on a 4Runner my sister was looking at, and it came back saying it had been totalled and then repaired. So at least then it did work as expected.

Since it was not considered a "Lemon" and the dealership bought it back, there would be no reporting, if the tranny would have failed under a n extended warranty that had been purchased, it would have probably shown up. I see toyotas that get reported every single time they get serviced, if they are certified preowned, same usually goes with Nissan.

Since it was not considered a "Lemon" and the dealership bought it back, there would be no reporting, if the tranny would have failed under a n extended warranty that had been purchased, it would have probably shown up. I see toyotas that get reported every single time they get serviced, if they are certified preowned, same usually goes with Nissan.

It wasn't the dealership that bought it back, it was the manufacturer, but I do see your point. Still, isn't CarFax selling piece of mind that your car hasn't been in an accident or have a major defect? Maybe that isn't considered major, but...

CarFax used to have a deal with KHOU.Com where if you ran the search through their web site it was free. I don't know if they still do. If they don't, some other web site might have a similar agreement. Try the usual car web sites like Edmunds.

CarFax used to have a deal with KHOU.Com where if you ran the search through their web site it was free. I don't know if they still do. If they don't, some other web site might have a similar agreement. Try the usual car web sites like Edmunds.

Yeah...I don't think those deals exist anymore, I haven't seen one in a loooooong time. Back in the day, people would find out about it, then post it to fatwallet, slickdeals, and every other forum on the internet, and an orgy of cookie clearing and carfaxing would ensue. I would use those deals to run VINs just for fun, to see what came back.

Archived