Downtown Judge

OTHER FEATURES

From the October 29, 2004 print edition

City Beat

Here comes the downtown judge

A movement is afoot among downtown planners to replicate a specialized court system now used in Austin that addresses offenders charged with "quality of life" crimes.

The Downtown Austin Community Court deals with individuals other than juveniles who commit offenses such as public intoxication, possession of drug paraphernalia, disorderly conduct, simple assault and aggressive panhandling.

Bob Eury, president of the Houston Downtown Management District, says crimes committed in the urban core -- particularly those dealing with the city's homeless population -- often aren't effectively pursued through the municipal court system.

For example, issuing a $200 citation to a panhandler probably isn't the most effective way to address the underlying problems of homelessness or substance abuse.

Eury says a community court familiar with downtown problems and treatment programs could prove more effective in such situations.

No word yet on whether or when the court will be in session. - Jenna Colley

they need to remove all the homeless ppl in downtown.

And do what with them? Moving them to another area of town won't solve anything. Unfortunately Houston (and many other major cities) hasn't been very effective at solving the causes of the homeless problem and working to help the homeless find a permanent residence.

I'd rather see the city investing in some real solutions for the problem than just shifting it around to another neighborhood.

And do what with them? Moving them to another area of town won't solve anything. Unfortunately Houston (and many other major cities) hasn't been very effective at solving the causes of the homeless problem and working to help the homeless find a permanent residence.

I'd rather see the city investing in some real solutions for the problem than just shifting it around to another neighborhood.

I'm all in favor of programs to reduce homelessness, but they won't ever be 100%. There will always be homelessness. Some people due to mental illness, or simple choice, will live on the street. I wish they wouldn't, but there isn't much I can do about the hard-core ones.

Still, did you have any specific ideas for solving the homeless problem? The only thing I can think of is job training and substance abuse programs. Are there more creative ideas out there?

Archived