If Rumsfeld didn't lie about WMDs, who did?

johncoby

If this had been a Democratic administration Congress would have had hearing on this immediately to determine how an intelligence agency got every single bit of intelligence about Iraqs WMDs wrong.

Not one single allegation levied by the administration to the UN was true. Not one.

To get one or two or three incorrect might be excusable, but EVERYONE of them was wrong.

So why haven't we investigated this complete and total failure that led to an unnecessary war, 2400+ dead, and $450Billion of our tax dollars?

If this had been a Democratic administration Congress would have had hearing on this immediately to determine how an intelligence agency got every single bit of intelligence about Iraqs WMDs wrong.

Not one single allegation levied by the administration to the UN was true. Not one.

To get one or two or three incorrect might be excusable, but EVERYONE of them was wrong.

So why haven't we investigated this complete and total failure that led to an unnecessary war, 2400+ dead, and $450Billion of our tax dollars?

Because the Republicans control both the Executive and Legislative branches of government, of course. I'd kind of prefer a Democratic-controlled congress right now (so long as no more than 2/3 of the seats were held by them). If we had that kind of balance, nothing would ever get done!

I should ask the question, though...what do you think an investigation would change? Do you want Bush out of the White House so that Cheney could step into it? I really think that Bush (or would it be Rove) took out an insurance policy against impeachment/assasination by leveraging the unpopularity of Cheney as a VP.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Niche on this one. Kind of fits in the "Be careful what you wish for" category. The impeachment of Bill Clinton won no votes for the Republican Party. If/when the Democrats take Congress, they need to go to work, not go to impeachment hearings. The American public already knows what the Administration did and did not do. Sure, there are some who won't admit it, for fear of never hearing the end of it, but few actually believe the line we are being fed.

The last thing Dems need to do if/when they regain Congress is make Republicans look sympathetic. Be professional and go fix what ails us.

I should ask the question, though...what do you think an investigation would change? Do you want Bush out of the White House so that Cheney could step into it?

It would be nice to know the truth and to find out what the problem was and correct it so it could not happen again. And IF someone deliberately misled the public, the administration, or congress, then they should be held accountable by being charged with treason.

Who could possibly be against that?

I'm pretty much in agreement with Niche on this one. Kind of fits in the "Be careful what you wish for" category. The impeachment of Bill Clinton won no votes for the Republican Party. If/when the Democrats take Congress, they need to go to work, not go to impeachment hearings. The American public already knows what the Administration did and did not do. Sure, there are some who won't admit it, for fear of never hearing the end of it, but few actually believe the line we are being fed.

The last thing Dems need to do if/when they regain Congress is make Republicans look sympathetic. Be professional and go fix what ails us.

The democratic party is not looking for impeachment proceedings. This is just an unfounded attack by the right because they are afraid they will lose the house.

If they do, the Ds should go to work and get some answers such as "who lied to congress about the Iraq threat?". If by chance that leads to W, then so be it.

But to sit back and act like we passed gas in a crowded elevated instead of sent our kids to get killed based upon false information, is just un-American. Period.

But to sit back and act like we passed gas in a crowded elevated instead of sent our kids to get killed based upon false information, is just un-American. Period.

I didn't say do nothing. I said impeachment will not help the Dems.

BTW, I respect your opinion a lot, but when you use McCarthy terms like "Un-American", it makes me want to puke. Leave that for the fascists in the crowd...they know who they are...and besides, it is VERY American to ignore what our government does militarily, just so that we don't appear un-patriotic...disgusting, but American.

It would be nice to know the truth and to find out what the problem was and correct it so it could not happen again. And IF someone deliberately misled the public, the administration, or congress, then they should be held accountable by being charged with treason.

Who could possibly be against that?

Oh, please...if we applied the logic that every politician that is suspected (or even known outright) to have misled the public or other members of the government, we'd basically have the Salem Witch Trials all over again...although this time around, most of those convicted would actually be guilty.

Corrpution is just something you have to put up with in government lest you prefer McCarthyism. Fortunately, as big a blunder as Iraq seems to appear, given that its discussed daily in a negative context, it really doesn't mean much in the long term. As long as an act of corruption doesn't threaten to topple or destabilize the structure of our government, you just have to move on. The important thing is that everyone that really counts has a term limit and there is always the next administration to come along, abolish the follies of the past and replace them with new ones.

I've got to admit though...if there's one benefit about investigating every little thing, it'd be that less congressional business gets done.

Archived