From District C office- Yard waste disposal temporarily suspended

Neighborhood leaders,

I am reaching out to share an operations update our office received from the Solid Waste Management Department (SWMD). Effectively immediately, the department has suspended yard waste collection due to staffing shortages. I will circulate further information with neighborhood leaders as updates become available. We ask that your neighborhood groups please assist our office in spreading the word. For easy reference, I am linking SWMD's Facebook Post: https://www.facebook.com/houstonsolidwaste/posts/526463312818222

Per SWMD, the department has been impacted by by the national driver shortage which has caused vacancies within recycling and yard waste collections, and, as such, yard waste services will experience service interruptions for the week of 10/10 - 10/17. The department asks residents to utilize one of six neighborhood depositories to dispose of yard waste, included below:

•            North - 9003 N Main 77022
•            Northwest - 14400 Sommermeyer 77041
•            Northeast - 5565 Kirkpatrick 77028
•            Southeast - 2240 Central Street 77017
•            South - 5100 Sunbeam 77033
•            Southwest - 10785 SW Freeway 77074

To address the ongoing driver shortage, the department offers a $3,000 signing bonus as it seeks to hire commercial drivers. While the department has worked to hire more employees, the city has also utilized contractors to help the department stay on schedule for collection, and per my previous conversations, drivers were working six days a week often for 12 hours or more to stay on schedule. 

If you have any questions at this time, please feel free to reach out, and we will follow up. I will be in touch as soon as updates are made available.

Warm regards, 

Kate Dentler

Communications Director
Office of Council Member Abbie Kamin, District C

To receive updates from our office, click here to sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Facebook.

• Thanks 1