Richmond-Rosenberg Restaurants From The Past

ChannelTwoNews

I didn't want to gum up the Houston thread with the restaurants I grew up with more locally, so I figured I would start one in this section.  Some were local favorites. Others were chains that did something different. Most of this is personal recollection so if I get some details wrong, I apologize.

Schulze's - Rosenberg

Not to be confused with the BBQ place of the same name next door. Every small town needs a restaurant like this one - a place that gets applause for it's burgers and fries as much as it does for it's enchiladas and tacos. Going here was a Saturday ritual for a while in the 90s, as well as when we'd go to the Fair the first night it was open. I'd get a burger and my mom would get a taco salad. Good times. I can smell the fryer at work just thinking of the dining room back then. They'd periodically update the decor but it never really mattered to me at least. I know they closed a while back and have recently re-opened the space under another name with a similar menu, but I'm not sure if anything has changed. 

Camino Real - Rosenberg 

"The Best Enchiladas You Never Tasted"

Started going to this place with my family after they opened in the early/mid 90s. They started at Avenue H & San Jacinto where Bull Creek is now. Good solid Tex-Mex. Their platters were all named after cities in South Texas. To this day, thanks to them, a basic cheese enchilada dinner is a "Refugio" to me no matter where you go. This was where Sylvia Casares got her start before she started her own restaurant - Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen, and after seeing her years later, I do remember her working both the kitchen and the front counter at times. They later moved to the spot where the 1st Golden Corral was at Avenue H and Herndon Drive and made some improvements inside and out. From what I remember, in the late 90s or early 2000s, the original owner sold to someone from Texas City who wanted to keep the name but bring in some of his people and tweak the recipes. The new owner was super engaged, if not overly so, and was incredibly enthusiastic when he probably shouldn't been. The recipes changed to seemingly include too much chili powder in everything from the enchilada sauce to the rice and beans. We swore them off till the original owner was involved again and that resolved many of the issues. It later was converted to a Los Cucos and has struggled to keep a tenant since they closed about a decade ago. 

About 2009 or 2010, Camino Real re-appeared at a small space on Lane Drive, just south of Avenue H that has never really had any success keeping a concept. I was able to visit a couple of times during the brief time they were open and it was THE Camino Real of days past. The recipes were the same and even that slogan was there on the menu. Too bad it didn't last. 

Was always curious if they had anything to do with another Camino Real that was open in the late 90s on Westheimer & Windchase in the small strip center there. Food was about the same and that slogan was used as well.

The Peppermill / Ninfa's - Rosenberg

Opened just east of the intersection of 36 & the Southwest Freeway in 1994. I think the intent was to provide somewhat of a higher-class but down home cooking restaurant in the area. I just remember they leaned into the "pepper" part of their name as it seemed everything that I had from there had a bit too much of the spice. They went for a rustic design, but I think they were just ahead of the curve in opening there since I think that corner was just starting to support mostly fast food outlets at the time the Super K-Mart opened a few months before. They weren't open for terribly long under that name. The space became a franchised Ninfa's location later that year or maybe in 1995. Seemed to do fairly brisk business over the years. Some of the folks that had started at Camino Real ended up here and one of the women who was a server worked her way up to manager in the process. It was the traditional Ninfa's menu so it was easy to find a few favorites. They closed in the 2000s and then it became El Acapulco, which I never chose to visit. I always figured it would be a lesser experience than Ninfa's and I wanted the memories more than anything. That restaurant closed in the not too distant past and the building itself was demolished in March of this year.

Since then, the Ninfa's in Waco seems to get the closest to what I experienced growing up so we make a detour that location at least once most times we're in that area.

Wyatt's / Luby's - Rosenberg

Perhaps the classiest cafeteria around? I don't know if I could quantify that, but as a kid growing up it was certainly a nice place to eat. We would get certificates to Wyatt's for perfect attendance or honor roll or something in elementary school. They would occasionally bring out big spotlights at the entrance during the evening hours when they were promoting a special or big event they were having there. Always though it looked cool going over the copper trimmed roof. Food was quite good, and really, the quality didn't drop off when it became a Luby's. Furniture and fixtures would get worn a bit more before they were repaired, though Luby's generally had a good crowd as well. My family was happy when they put in the drive-through and it made getting dinner easy if we were pressed for time. It's still weird to see the building now, as it's subdivided for multiple tenants. 

Chinatown - Rosenberg

Small, but nice Chinese restaurant in Chamber Plaza on Avenue H, across from the Chamber of Commerce. This was the first Chinese restaurant I went to as a kid so I was introduced to a number of the mainstays of Americanized Chinese here. The pork dishes were always done well, whether it was fried or seared, and the rice had just the right amount of seasoning and flavor to my taste. What I also appreciated was the decor and atmosphere as it was closer to a more intimate steak restaurant in terms of lighting and furnishings from what I recall. I know everyone locally back in the day (and maybe even today) still would probably cite Hunan Garden as tops (and they're still quite good), but Chinatown was always first in my little heart as a kid. 

Jordan's Bakery - Rosenberg

I think this was the first place I actually got my first taste of Kolache as a really little kid. Reminded me of the kind you would get from Hruska's in Ellinger. Good and doughy, though I don't recall if they sold klobasniky or not, but when Shipley's came to town in the 90s, that filled the void for that item as far as I'm concerned. If I remember, they stopped selling them at some point and focused on cakes and cookies more than anything, which were excellent. Still want to know what happened to the sign with the big neon donut on it that hung over their entrance for years.

Don Bravo - Rosenberg

I don't remember which way it was - if this location was a branch of the one in Missouri City or the one in Missouri City was a branch of the one in Rosenberg. Either way, the Rosenberg location was located at Avenue I and Mahlmann Street in the strip center there. For some reason, I remember that our family liked the grilled items and fajitas more there than anything else. I think they folded in the 2000s when it became La Casona, and that restaurant was there for some time until they moved into a space at the Old Super K Mart. I think it is still vacant at the moment.

Two Pesos / Cici's Pizza - Rosenberg

Avenue H, just west of the intersection with Lane Drive. I was so excited when they built this in the early 90s as it was an option that wasn't then available in the area up to that point, and it generally seemed busy most of the time we went to get something from there. It was nice having a not Taco Cabana since they were about the first fast casual option in town that I can think of as well. Given the time they opened, and the trademark ruling from the court, they didn't last all that long and the building was vacant for a few years. It re-opened as a Cici's with a decent sized game & party room in the mid to late 90s and I recall a few birthday parties with some of my friends there, just enjoying lots of cheap pizza and drinks in the process. They only closed in the past year or two, and the place has reopened as a regional Mexican restaurant.

Since Two Pesos closed, there's never been a replacement for that specific kind of concept (fast casual Tex-Mex) in the area. I think a Taco Cabana or a Rosa's Cafe or something similar could do well enough, especially at one of the major intersections. 

Mr. Gatti's - Rosenberg

I think they opened in the small strip center at Herndon Drive and Avenue H in the late 80s. I remember having one of my birthday parties there since it was a more reasonably priced Showbiz/Chuck E. Cheese, and we didn't want to force people to go to the one in Stafford/Meadows. The sauce on the pizza itself was pretty decent in terms of quality and I recall it was a fairly distinct flavor with a bit more garlic and onion than most. The game room was amazing to me at the time since it wasn't super overwhelming but it had plenty of options for you to drop your tokens in and walk away with a bunch of tickets. I may still have one of those tokens in my old bedroom at my parents house, as I recall saving a few for a rainy day. I never got to use them as Mr. Gatti's closed in the 90s and the DQ from across Herndon Drive moved into the space. They added more lighting and opened up the dining room a bit more and kept the game room for a while before removing it. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 4:42 PM, august948 said:

Karl's at the Riverbend.  Only went once but the food was excellent and was served by Karl himself.  I had heard they were going to try to open somewhere else but don't know if that happened or not.

Apparently they opened in a spot on 359 back in 2014. Not sure when it closed though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Western Steakhouse

They were located in a freestanding space on Avenue I and Miles Street. Fairly straightforward steak place whose CFS I actually liked more than the steaks themselves. Nothing flashy or fancy. I recall there was a period when they were one of a few businesses that signed up with the cable company's ad business to produce local commercials in the late 90s. Theirs was fantastic because it opened with a "family" that was acting like they were hungry, banging their forks and knives on the table - and it was all so wooden and cheaply done. Our family made fun of it at the time when saying we were hungry and still do to this day on occasion. I know they did some renovations and took the neon bull from their sign at the entrance, and placed it above the restaurant in later years. While I thought it had shuttered for good a few years back, the dishes are now available at Joe's Oyster Bar and Grill on Minonite Road - which is now mentioned as the "home" of the Western Steakhouse now.

• 2 weeks later...

You hit most of the spots I would! The only other ones that come to mind would be Texas Grill, the place with the giant neon Cowboy sign down Ave. H. It's been various Mexican restaurants for years. Along with 2-M Malt n Burger, which finally closed recently, and is still sitting vacant. Some memories and notes on the ones you posted:

Schulze's Family Restaurant was a great place. From what I've heard and seen quality has dipped and prices skyrocketed since reopening so I'd steer clear.

Camino Real, wow I had forgotten the name of this place! I remember them over at the Bull Creek spot, but I don't think I ever went when they moved into the old Golden Corral, which was another memory unlock for me! (The original building is still there it's just buried under many different facades). As for the connection to the Houston location, my research has shown that they were opened by the same person, but sold around the mid-90s, which is when Sylvia got involved. According to her, she owned the Rosenberg restaurant, which I wouldn't doubt.

The Peppermill, I have no memory of this place, but I do remember the Ninfa's afterwards, briefly after El Acapulco it reopened as a satellite location for Papa Mex for about a year.

Wyatt's/Luby's I have far stronger memories of it as Luby's but you're right that this was always a good location. For years after they closed the dining room sat completely intact. When the shopping center owner went to renovate it a couple of years back, they moved all the old furniture to the former Randall's/Kroger after it had been abandoned by Fiesta. It sat there a while but was gone last time I went by.

Two Pesos/Cici's This one actually started as a Fajita Junction before becoming a Two Pesos, so it was open a bit longer than you'd think but not by much, maybe 2-3 years. I also remember some good birthday parties there, especially when hitting up the Rosenberg 8 afterwards!

Mr. Gatti's! Wow this was a favorite place of mine, mostly for the arcade. When DQ moved in, they changed very little. Taking out a raised seating area, but leaving things like a Big Screen TV behind, it was wild. The arcade was open all the way until about 2010, you had to ask to be let in, but everything was on and functioning. Most of the games and machines are still in there, if you drive past DQ in the strip center you'll see it all!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Richmond-Rosenberg Restaurants From The Past
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, BEES?! said:

Oh my gosh this thread is unlocking memories for me too haha. I remember Camino Real- we liked going there quite a bit. 

The old Acapulco/Ninfas building is gone. I think it was demolished some time in 2021. 

Last March.

Still waiting to see if anything shows up on that parcel. Whoever is leasing the old Super K Mart has done a pretty good job of keeping tenants that tend to get the parking lot fairly full most of the day. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, BEES?! said:

Yeah, I don’t go to that area much, but La Casona is always packed when we go over there. The only thing I’ve seen that didn’t make it was that kids place (it was like a trampoline park or something) next door to it, I think. 

The trampoline park did indeed close all the way back in 2018. I never went, but from what I heard it was pretty crappy. Only a few trampolines, and no extra features. They had another location on the South Belt that is still in business under another name. That location had 3D simulators, arcade games, and sold food. This one had none of that, and charged the same price to jump.

There was actually a large portion vacant with Kmart signage still in place until 2019. The spot was leased to Sugar Creek Church. Really truly, it seems that La Casona, Boot Barn, and the DPS drive all the traffic in that center.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 5:59 PM, SpaceGhost said:

There was actually a large portion vacant with Kmart signage still in place until 2019. The spot was leased to Sugar Creek Church. Really truly, it seems that La Casona, Boot Barn, and the DPS drive all the traffic in that center.

Oh I wish I had peeked in to see that while it was still there. My family shopped there from the time it opened and for a number of years after that. Would have been fun to get a glimpse of the past.

Part of me had always had wished they'd left up the names on the light posts in each row of the parking lot. They were supposed to be the different brands that K Mart had at the time like Jaclyn Smith, Fuzzy Zoeller, etc.. There was also one that mentioned Lupe Uresti, who was Rosenberg's Mayor when the store opened. Just thought leaving them would be so random and confusing to anyone who would visit today. And funny. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Oh I wish I had peeked in to see that while it was still there. My family shopped there from the time it opened and for a number of years after that. Would have been fun to get a glimpse of the past.

Part of me had always had wished they'd left up the names on the light posts in each row of the parking lot. They were supposed to be the different brands that K Mart had at the time like Jaclyn Smith, Fuzzy Zoeller, etc.. There was also one that mentioned Lupe Uresti, who was Rosenberg's Mayor when the store opened. Just thought leaving them would be so random and confusing to anyone who would visit today. And funny. 

I should have taken photos, but didn't think to at the time. During the construction of the facade, before any tenants moved in, the paper was removed from the front doors, revealing a completely intact store, except with all the shelving and fixtures removed. Signs were still up on the walls, ads, etc... it was insane. After they finished the La Casona side, the DPS side was not re-papered, and you could clearly see the middle of the old store. Those light pole signs hung around until the lights were swapped out. I actually hadn't connected the dots, except for a few more obvious brands. Lupe Uresti really threw me off, ..

• Like 1

One of the restaurants (or at least the building) that I'd like to know the history of is the one currently occupied by Little Caesar's at Avenue H & Herndon Drive in Rosenberg. Did it actually start as a Popeye's or was it something before that? I don't recall another Popeye's that had that kind of design.

Growing up, I remember it was Popeye's, then for a (too) brief period it was a Frenchy's location. Following that it was Schlotzsky's and then when that concept left, Little Caesars took over the space after they moved from Rosenberg Plaza, next to the old Budget Chopper.

7V8pCN8.png

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 9:16 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

One of the restaurants (or at least the building) that I'd like to know the history of is the one currently occupied by Little Caesar's at Avenue H & Herndon Drive in Rosenberg. Did it actually start as a Popeye's or was it something before that? I don't recall another Popeye's that had that kind of design.

Growing up, I remember it was Popeye's, then for a (too) brief period it was a Frenchy's location. Following that it was Schlotzsky's and then when that concept left, Little Caesars took over the space after they moved from Rosenberg Plaza, next to the old Budget Chopper.

7V8pCN8.png

Okay, this one took a little digging, as earliest thing I remembered there was Schlotzsky's. Turn out it was one of three identical General Joe's Chopstix built by someone that seems to be the first franchisee. Rosenberg only lasted a few months in 1986, the other two lasted longer but were in North Houston.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 5:15 PM, SpaceGhost said:

Okay, this one took a little digging, as earliest thing I remembered there was Schlotzsky's. Turn out it was one of three identical General Joe's Chopstix built by someone that seems to be the first franchisee. Rosenberg only lasted a few months in 1986, the other two lasted longer but were in North Houston.

Interesting! Gen. Joe's does sound vaguely familiar but given that it was so short lived I might just be remembering another location or building that looked the same or similar.

Thanks for looking into that!

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 5:59 PM, SpaceGhost said:

The trampoline park did indeed close all the way back in 2018. I never went, but from what I heard it was pretty crappy. Only a few trampolines, and no extra features. They had another location on the South Belt that is still in business under another name. That location had 3D simulators, arcade games, and sold food. This one had none of that, and charged the same price to jump.

This is a pretty accurate statement.   The DPS center fills up daily by 9 am.    

Before the DPS moved in - the building sat vacant for YEARS.  The only thing in use was the old automotive section - I think it was a Pep Boys for a while then a brake shop.

I was told that the reason was there were a lot of structural plumbing issues with the old Kmart.     Maybe the DPS had a big enough budget to remediate the issues - because after they went it, it actually started to fill up.

And now the pasture that was on the north side - past Golden Corral is being developed.   A lot of earth moving - a new road off the feeder and the shell of the first building is up.   Can't tell what it is (looks commercial) yet.   But it looks like a semi-large development is happening.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, BEES?! said:

Oh my gosh this thread is unlocking memories for me too haha. I remember Camino Real- we liked going there quite a bit. 

The old Acapulco/Ninfas building is gone. I think it was demolished some time in 2021. 

Glad I read this thread -  I remember the old Peppermill restaurant in this location - but for the life of me could not remember the name.

It was actually demolished last fall.     There was homeless living in it/under the covered outdoor portion.      Then there was a fire inside at some point.    The windows were broken and a large hole in the roof to put out the fire.        Was that way for a while before the demolition.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This development - nearing completion.    Still no sign of what it is.   

But based on the enormous parking lot,   governmental/institutional design of the building and odd two-leveled carport/cover jutting out the rear of the building - my best guess is they are moving the Rosenberg DPS Megacenter here and vacating the north end of the old KMart supercenter.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, Pleak said:

This development - nearing completion.    Still no sign of what it is.   

But based on the enormous parking lot,   governmental/institutional design of the building and odd two-leveled carport/cover jutting out the rear of the building - my best guess is they are moving the Rosenberg DPS Megacenter here and vacating the north end of the old KMart supercenter.

Sounds like this was correct. The address is listed as 27750 Southwest Freeway and that matches the construction signage.

TDLR shows this to be a new DPS Driver's License Office. DCA/W.E. O'Neil is the construction company based on the signs along the feeder.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Projects/TABS2022018275

Yep.   The DPS signage is on the building now.    Looks complete - but the access to the feeder road still has to be built.  

The new road they made in front of the DPS office - still stops short of freeway access.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In this profile in the Fort Bend Herald of Bull Creek in Rosenberg, this line jumped out at me. 

https://www.fbherald.com/business/bull-creek-offers-comfort-food-in-a-comfortable-atmosphere/article_89601a14-2a46-11ee-8469-2b712d6a11f9.html

"The restaurant was formerly known as El Toro from the 70s through the 90s. El Toro was owned by Mel’s parents, allowing Mel to grow up in a restaurant environment. "

Other than that not being totally correct - this location (Avenue H & San Jacinto St.) was fairly notable as the first Camino Real location which began maybe when - 1992 or 93? I do remember the name El Toro for a restaurant. Was it in that location? It does sound familiar for that spot. As someone who went to the Budget Chopper weekly with my grandma and parents, I do have a fairly clear memory of what was around that location during that stretch of time. Never went there until it was Camino Real though.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2023 at 12:30 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

In this profile in the Fort Bend Herald of Bull Creek in Rosenberg, this line jumped out at me. 

https://www.fbherald.com/business/bull-creek-offers-comfort-food-in-a-comfortable-atmosphere/article_89601a14-2a46-11ee-8469-2b712d6a11f9.html

"The restaurant was formerly known as El Toro from the 70s through the 90s. El Toro was owned by Mel’s parents, allowing Mel to grow up in a restaurant environment. "

Other than that not being totally correct - this location (Avenue H & San Jacinto St.) was fairly notable as the first Camino Real location which began maybe when - 1992 or 93? I do remember the name El Toro for a restaurant. Was it in that location? It does sound familiar for that spot. As someone who went to the Budget Chopper weekly with my grandma and parents, I do have a fairly clear memory of what was around that location during that stretch of time. Never went there until it was Camino Real though.

I also forgot to mention that location, after Camino Real moved, became the initial location for La Cocina. The PDF of their menu on their website says they originally opened in 1997 - and this was the spot. Their Pecan Grove location opened in 2000 based on what that menu says. Don't recall if both were open concurrently though, but the Pecan Grove location is still open. I try to hit it every so often when I'm down there.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:26 PM, SpaceGhost said:

You hit most of the spots I would! The only other ones that come to mind would be Texas Grill, the place with the giant neon Cowboy sign down Ave. H. It's been various Mexican restaurants for years. Along with 2-M Malt n Burger, which finally closed recently, and is still sitting vacant. Some memories and notes on the ones you posted:

2M's reopened in the not too distant past. I've heard mixed reviews, but not nearly as negative as what happened after Schulze's reopened as 36 Dining. As odd as it may sound, I've never eaten there and it was one of the closest restaurants to me growing up!

On 11/9/2022 at 7:26 PM, SpaceGhost said:

The Peppermill, I have no memory of this place, but I do remember the Ninfa's afterwards, briefly after El Acapulco it reopened as a satellite location for Papa Mex for about a year.

One thing I remember that I thought was interesting or funny was that they actually had custom tabletops with their logo (The PepperMill) on the top made for them. The entirety of the time they were Ninfa's, they kept them and simply covered them with a colorful tablecloth, standard as you'd see at any of their other locations. Wonder what happened to them.

There are a couple of other chain locations that have come to mind recently...

Grandy's / Popeye's - Richmond

This is the location at the intersection of Jackson Street (90A) & Thompsons Hwy (FM 762). Maybe a year or two before it was built, when the old and shuttered Gulf station was still there - I remember buying my Rockets Championship shirt from a guy on the side of the road there. Don't remember if it was the first or 2nd though. Anyway, it was cleared and the current Shell station was opened with a restaurant component in the mid-late 90s. That place started out as a Grandy's (I think it was branded as "Grandy's on the Go") and it was a smaller version of their standalone stores. I don't recall going there too often, but we did get a few things from the drive-thru at the time and they were standard fare. Maybe not as good as dining in, but it was what you could expect from getting Grandy's from the drive-thru. The concept didn't last long and it later became a Popeye's where it found a longer-term success. I think it survived into the early 2010s before it shut down. Now it's just a Shell from what I recall.

McDonald's (36 & 59) - Rosenberg

This too was once a Shell station with a dining component, though I think it was a full-sized McDonald's inside of it. IIRC, it opened as a Texaco/McDonald's, but later became a Shell. Regardless, this was in the mid 90s also and it was the only local outlet I recall where you could consistently get the McDonald's Pizza! And we did! And I know it was a PITA to the folks in the line but preteen me absolutely loved it and was grateful when my mom ok'd getting it for supper on occasion. The time and labor probably was a pain for the folks inside as well, and given there was already a personal pan option available across the street in later years (when the Taco Bell opened maybe a year or two later, it was a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut Express location - a concept that was lost when that site was rebuilt as JUST a Taco Bell in 2018), it might have led to the item being discontinued after a while. For fast food pizza, it was certainly better than the Pizza Hut option. Interestingly enough, this site was rebuilt a few years before the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut was and the gas station component was axed. Now it's just a McDonald's with a fairly large parking lot.

• Like 1