Tell Me Again Why Was There A Presidential Debate?

trymahjong

Trying to explain elections in general and presidential  elections specifically  to my 10 year old grandkid is confounding. 
Last nights TV debate sort of put me on hot seat to cautiously explain the reality of what we watched with the build up I had done on what  we’d probably be seeing from the 2 candidates. I had lowered the bar on what to expect, but  watching that debate ( term loosely used in this context) gobsmacked me. 
I can’t imagine the Civic class discussion ( naw, it’s not called Civic class anymore lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Debates used to serve two purposes: Pumping up your followers, and swaying the undecided.  As we seem to have fewer and fewer undecided people these days of weapons-grade tribalism, it's mostly about energizing one's base.

Still, it's useful to see how a candidate acts on his feet.  When I see a politician dodge a question, I have less esteem for that person.  I don't know that I've ever fully switched sides from watching a debate, but I have seen candidates in a different light.

• The title was changed to Tell Me Again Why Was There A Presidential Debate?

Archived