Jump to content

FAQ re:debris from flooding

Recommended Posts

Frequently Asked Questions concerning debris after flood from COH enewsletter

FAQs for Debris Placement & Collection



Residents are urged to refer to the following FAQs as the City prepares to begin storm debris collection.


  1. My home was damaged or received water during the recent flooding and storms. What steps should I take to handle the damages and the debris?
    1. First, you should contact your insurance company to file a claim.
    2. You should also document your property damage(s) by taking photographs.
    3. You should contact the Houston 311 customer center to notify the city of your damage(s). This will help identify your address and area as needing debris collection service.


  1. When will the City begin debris collection operations?
    1. Collections will begin as soon as the City's plans are accepted by the State Department of Emergency Management. Typically, debris operations begin after the receipt of a disaster declaration by the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA). A request for the disaster declaration has been made to FEMA by the Governor's office.


  1. Is there a particular manner that my debris should be placed at the curb?
    1. Yes, debris should be segregated as follows and placed away from any obstruction/impediments (mailboxes, fire hydrants, water meters, tree branches, etc.):
      1. Normal household trash goes in your black garbage container.  It will be collected by the City on your normal garbage service day.
      2. Vegetative Debris (Logs and Trees) should be place separately in a stacked pile. Limbs/trunks and branches should be cut to 36" lengths.
      3. Construction & Demolition Material should be place in its own pile.  This type of debris includes building materials, carpet/padding, furniture, treated lumber, mattresses, etc.
      4. Appliances should be placed separately and their doors secured with tape (to protect kids).  This includes refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers, dryers and water heaters.
      5. v. Electronics should be placed together. E-waste includes computers, stereos, televisions or other items with a cord.
      6. vi. Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) should be placed together. HHW includes batteries, oils, lawn chemicals, pesticides and cleaning supplies.
    2. Further information and instruction for debris placement can be found at www.houstonsolidwaste.org, or the Solid Waste Management Department's Facebook page.


  1. My garbage/yard waste/Recycling was not collected due to the storm. When will the city return?
    1. Garbage collection schedules have now returned to normal.
    2. Yard waste will be collected on the same schedule as stated in 3-a. above.  
    3. Recycling will be collected on the same schedule as listed is 3-a above. 


  1. Are Neighborhood Depository sites available to me if I'd like to get rid of my own debris or uncollected recycling?
    1. Yes. Any Houston resident can use a Neighborhood Depository & Recycling Center. Effective immediately, the depository sites will be open 7 days per week. A notice of the effective date of the extra days is posted at www.houstonsolidwaste.org.
    2. Residents who use the depositories simply need to show an ID and utility bill for service.


  1. Is there somewhere I can take my HHW if I don't want to wait for City crews to come by for collection?
    1. Yes. Any City of Houston resident can take HHW to the City's Environmental Service Center at 11500 South Post Oak. HHW can be dropped off every Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. The center also receives HHW on the 2nd Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.  Should there be a need; the hours may be increased to accommodate the demand for service.


  1. My container floated away during the flood period. How do I get another one?
    1. Please contact 311 to report your lost container. The department will deliver a replacement within 5 - 7 business days.


  1. I live in an apartment complex and was flooded. What should I do with my debris?
    1. Waste Management is providing dumpsters at 17 properties in the Greenspoint area.
    2. Otherwise, it is the responsibility of your owner/management company to make provisions for the collection and removal of debris.


  1. My business flooded what should I do?
    1. You should contact your insurance agent and file a claim for remediation. A part of your claim would include any debris demolition and removal.






Register for CitizensNet

Add cityofhouston@houstontx.gov to your address book to ensure proper delivery of CitizensNet emails 
and to prevent spam filters from blocking the emails. Follow these instructions.

Change your email address or Update your record

View CitizensNet Archive

Go to www.houstontx.gov for information about City of Houston activities/events.

Disclaimer: All information, excluding your email address, is generally subject to public disclosure 
under the Texas Public Information Act (See Chapter 552 of the Texas Government Code).

Thank you for your interest in CitizensNet.
Mailing Address:  City of Houston | P.O. Box 1562 | Houston, Texas 77251
City Hall Address:  City of Houston

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...