Brick Laid Roads

IronTiger

OK, help me out here: in 2005-2006, I read an article in the Houston Chronicle about a controversial road repair, in which a road somewhere in Houston had bricks that were laid by former slaves, and that workers were to remove the bricks (and place them back) to do utility repairs. Which road was that, and was the outcome of it?

I've kind of wanted to know as of late.

• 5 weeks later...

The point was that Freedmen's Town was founded and built by former slaves entirely, not that it used slave labor. The newspaper article was about how workers circa 2006 wanted to take out, clean, fix utilities, and replace the bricks, and how preservationists did not like the idea.

The point was that Freedmen's Town was founded and built by former slaves entirely, not that it used slave labor. The newspaper article was about how workers circa 2006 wanted to take out, clean, fix utilities, and replace the bricks, and how preservationists did not like the idea.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't really saying it was built by slave labor; what I meant to say was I was just wondering if it was?

Here is another brick laid street. I think it's Washington Ave. headed towards downtown.

WashingtonAve1929_zps5205ea82.jpg

I think this is actually looking away from downtown.  That would be the old Brazos Hotel on the left.  This site is currently the front of the main downtown post office.

Very interesting photo.  The old Southern Pacific station is on the right.  The picture has to date from before 1934, since that is when the Brazos Hotel was demolished and the new Southern Pacific Station built over this section of Washington Ave.

• The title was changed to Brick Laid Roads

Archived