Tile Contractor

Doing a bit of tile work in my bathroom. I was severely unimpressed with the last guy that did tile work for me, so I am looking for a new guy. Unfortunately, the guy I found wants an arm and a leg for it (like $20 psf for 180 square feet). That's NOT including the tile! Anyone have a recommendation for a tile setter? The work is fairly straightforward. Subway tile in a shower and hex tile on the floor. Thin border at top of wall.

Do it yourself? You seem to be fairly handy from your posts here. And I've found out that tilework is one of the easiest home improvements to do yourself. Just take your time, don't rush it and make sure you have everything squared up before you start.

I even ended buying a real tile saw from Harbor Freight because it was cheaper than renting repeatedly a tile saw. It has paid off immensely over the years. And it's actually kinda fun in a weird sort of way. Just hard on the knees as I get older.

I actually have a tile saw myself, and have done some tile work in this house. I was about to do this myself, but decided to have a pro do it, because I suddenly got busier at work. At the price this guy wants, I may go back to DIY. But, I'd like another quote before I go that route.

Now, if you are offering to help, I may change my mind. :)

• 2 months later...

I've worked for one of the largest flooring stores here in Austin for the last 14 yrs. and the labor price per sq. has gone down since '98. We have 30+ tile crews daily to dispatch and some days

when things are slow, these installers would gladly do side jobs for not much more than what our wholesale rates. Custom tile jobs that required top quality and intricate fitting should go for not

more than 6.00 sf. Floor tile for about 2.50-3.00 tops.

Check out your larger flooring stores early in the morning and check out the parking lot and ask around, Or if you know someone that works at one, they will be glad to steer you in the right direction.

Rates here in Texas are nowhere close to the union rates up north or west.

I've worked for one of the largest flooring stores here in Austin for the last 14 yrs. and the labor price per sq. has gone down since '98. We have 30+ tile crews daily to dispatch and some days

when things are slow, these installers would gladly do side jobs for not much more than what our wholesale rates. Custom tile jobs that required top quality and intricate fitting should go for not

more than 6.00 sf. Floor tile for about 2.50-3.00 tops.

Check out your larger flooring stores early in the morning and check out the parking lot and ask around, Or if you know someone that works at one, they will be glad to steer you in the right direction.

Rates here in Texas are nowhere close to the union rates up north or west.

Lot of Tile Contractors are available in Texas, But i need the affordable one for my home construction. What are all the factors we want to consider for choosing the best tile contractor.

Don't go to Home Depot parking lot! Speak English, Most established quality flooring companys hire the best people that are dependable and do the best work. They have to warranty it and the installers know that or they get backcharged for anything that needs to be corrected. Clean looks, and clean truck.Most know how to read blueprints, and let them see the job because unknown problems

causing price to go up. They don't want problems. They're no warrantys on the side jobs (unless agreed in advance) and you get a great deal. GOOD LUCK!

I love my tile

For all of the tile salesmen posting on this thread, please note that the original post was made two and a half months ago. I have long since found a very good tile man who did a spectacular job on my bathroom. Thanks for the advice, but the job has been completed.

Here is a pic of the completed bathroom...

Bath.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Burton22

I think you need a good tile contractor who can fix your problem because if the tiles are not installed correctly then they were look bad and soon they can be destroy you room. 

Archived