Where to get the worlds best service

trymahjong

It can be confusing. On my trip to Jordan last, week, every damn charge always had a tax plus a "service charge", so I factored that service charge into what I would normally tip which means I added less. Was that right? I have no idea. But if they are going to make that service charge mandatory and annoyingly take it out to the 3rd decimal place, I'm counting that against them. And I always tip 20% or more here for good service, I'm no cheap bastard on that (just everything else).

Also, I find it awkward in cases where I just arrived in a country and I don't have cash yet, and the cab takes a credit card, but doesn't have a place to write the tip. Some do, some don't, oh well. I wish everyone would just do like Chicago and require cabs to have the credit card thing in the back seat where tipping is way easy (though the minimum suggested tip is high in my opinion).

On my first trip to China I had a waiter come running after me because I tipped him too much. I only tipped about 10%, but he thought it was more than he deserved.

Once in Seattle, I had a rather difficult cab ride from the Amtrak station to my hotel, and I tipped the cabbie (American guy) $20 because he did such a good job in very trying circumstances (I had a metric assload of luggage). I got a phone call about an hour later from the concierge telling me the cabbie came back and dropped off $10 for me because I tipped him too much.

I guess it can happen anywhere.

I used to overtip. With the economy sucking wind, I think I undertip these days. But I always give at least $5 to anyone who comes to my door (grocery delivery guy, pizza kid, cupcake girl, etc...).

On my first trip to China I had a waiter come running after me because I tipped him too much. I only tipped about 10%, but he thought it was more than he deserved.

Once in Seattle, I had a rather difficult cab ride from the Amtrak station to my hotel, and I tipped the cabbie (American guy) $20 because he did such a good job in very trying circumstances (I had a metric assload of luggage). I got a phone call about an hour later from the concierge telling me the cabbie came back and dropped off $10 for me because I tipped him too much.

I guess it can happen anywhere.

I used to overtip. With the economy sucking wind, I think I undertip these days. But I always give at least $5 to anyone who comes to my door (grocery delivery guy, pizza kid, cupcake girl, etc...).

"CUPCAKE GIRL?"

Seriously, or was that a euphemism? :D

i hate over the counter restaurants.. Like Lil Bigs, or even Starbucks that have a place for a tip on the receipt. You have no waiters. You are functionally no different from a McDonalds. You're not getting a damn tip.

i hate over the counter restaurants.. Like Lil Bigs, or even Starbucks that have a place for a tip on the receipt. You have no waiters. You are functionally no different from a McDonalds. You're not getting a damn tip.

how is it different that tiping at a bar? (literally sitting at the bar on a bar stool) Is it that much more difficult to pop open a beer than put fries and a burger on a serving tray? :blink:

how is it different that tiping at a bar? (literally sitting at the bar on a bar stool) Is it that much more difficult to pop open a beer than put fries and a burger on a serving tray? :blink:

Depends if they make the drink or bring it to me. If it's opening a beer, they don't get a tip every time. Maybe a buck every few times. If they mix some crazy junk for the lady (or a margarita for me), still no more than a buck a drink. Unless the bartender is smokin hot and you just want to look creepy.

Bartending.. at least there's some semblance of skill required (bartending school) and stress (popular busy bar) involved. And I have zero problem tipping a buck or two per drink. Also.. it seems that it's always been the norm, at least for the decade plus I've been of drinking age.

Places like Lil Big and Starbucks.. I feel like they're trying to get away with something. You never saw tip on the receipt until maybe 5 years ago. It's liked they tried to sneak it in hoping people wouldn't realize that they don't have waiters.

Same with Sonic. Had a friend work there in college who tried to tell me it was the expected norm to tip your sonic server. I had some friends who had heard of this, and others like me who had not. Her rationale was that sonic employees make waitress wage + tips.. not minimum wage because Sonic expected their employees to receive tips.

That tells me two things. Sonic is very smart and is getting a good deal. Sonic employees are morons. My stance remains firm.. You're a fast food restaurant. You're not checking up on me. You're not refilling my drinks. I don't care if you walk it out to my car.. That's not enough, I'm not tipping you. I feel that at least half the populace agrees with me and that Sonic employees should realize this. Therefore, of all the fast-food restaurants you could work in, if you choose to work at the one that pays you less than minimum wage, you are a moron.

So yeah, on principle.. I'll tip a bartender $2 who hands me a longneck, but I'm not gonna tip a dude on roller skates who brings me my extra long cheese coney in the rain. Tough $h!t, Sonic guy.

Add: I googled it.. and though it is up to the discretion of the sonic franchise.. it seems more have switched to minimum wage.

Archived