Renderings Of What Houston Center Was Supposed To Be

Simbha

I've read (somewhere and sometime) that Houston Center was supposed to be a much larger complex than it is now - perhaps as much as 25 or 30 buildings. I'm curious if any renderings of this more massive complex ever surfaced. Does anyone know of any renderings?

Edit: I'm not sure if Historic Houston is the place for this thread, but I couldn't figure out anywhere else to put it.

Poke around, I'm almost certain that renderings of the original proposal have been posted before.

Not only more buildings, but the complex would have been connected by an above-ground platform with mini-train service. The space below the platform would have been devoted to parking and deliveries. One reason it wasn't popular was that it would have made all the streets in the area dark and tunnel-like.

I've read (somewhere and sometime) that Houston Center was supposed to be a much larger complex than it is now - perhaps as much as 25 or 30 buildings. I'm curious if any renderings of this more massive complex ever surfaced. Does anyone know of any renderings? Edit: I'm not sure if Historic Houston is the place for this thread, but I couldn't figure out anywhere else to put it.

There's the Downtown Houston Association. They've been there for years trying to encourage and guide commercial and residential development in the downtown area. If they can't help you nobody can.

Director Bob Eury is the guy to contact. http://www.downtownhouston.org/

Poke around, I'm almost certain that renderings of the original proposal have been posted before.

I looked around a bit and didn't find anything. I'm not the best at searching, however.

Not only more buildings, but the complex would have been connected by an above-ground platform with mini-train service. The space below the platform would have been devoted to parking and deliveries. One reason it wasn't popular was that it would have made all the streets in the area dark and tunnel-like.

Wow, that platform thing is cool - but I can see how the coverage of the streets wouldn't be appreciated.

There's the Downtown Houston Association. They've been there for years trying to encourage and guide commercial and residential development in the downtown area. If they can't help you nobody can.

Director Bob Eury is the guy to contact. http://www.downtownhouston.org/

Good idea. Thanks.

The book Houston Lost and Unbuilt has some renderings and info on this project.

Ooh, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

• The title was changed to Renderings Of What Houston Center Was Supposed To Be?
  • The title was changed to Renderings Of What Houston Center Was Supposed To Be

Archived