Moving to Houston (Military)

Grant

We are moving to Houston in June and work will be on the east side near Ellington Field. We would like to buy/rent on the east side or southeast. Have 2 kids, one in high school and one in elementary and would like good schools. We were looking at a house online in WESTWOOD VILLAGE in Pearland, but I read a post from a couple years back that said that the neighborhood floods. Anyone know if this is still the case? Or know of a good area with good schools on the east/southeast side?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

We are moving to Houston in June and work will be on the east side near Ellington Field. We would like to buy/rent on the east side or southeast. Have 2 kids, one in high school and one in elementary and would like good schools. We were looking at a house online in WESTWOOD VILLAGE in Pearland, but I read a post from a couple years back that said that the neighborhood floods. Anyone know if this is still the case? Or know of a good area with good schools on the east/southeast side?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

I grew up on the south side...if you want to be near Ellington Field and have good schools you have Friendswood, Pearland, Clear Lake, League City....of those 4 Friendswood is by far the best school district. Pearland and Clear Lake are about equal...there are advantages to both League City is decent. There are certain areas of Pearland you will want to avoid because of declining property values, but the same can be said for the future of Friendswood/Clear lake because of the loss of Nasa jobs in the very near future.

I would personally recommend Friendswood for kids. By far the best....still plenty of reasonable housing and within minutes of Ellington Field....There are smaller older houses for the low 100's and new fancy houses in the 1,000,000+ range....all of the above are in coastal counties so you will get hit for higher insurance rates. If you get into harris county you cant get the better schools but you save about 50% on home owners insurance.

Disclaimer: I grew up in Friendswood, then moved to Pearland...I left Pearland pretty quickly after I moved there...I could not take the traffic that has grown there...but I was on the west side. The east side of Pearland is not too bad traffic wise...the West side has a lot of traffic around 288.

Grant, welcome to the area and thanks for your service to our country. I live in Springfield which is across McLean Road from Westwood Village. The houses are all about twenty years old and were not terribly expensive to begin with. Generally speaking that will mean that there will be maintenance issues such as roof, plumbing, and foundation and probably all the major appliances will be either recently replaced or near their end of life. The neighborhood is quiet, peaceful, and convenient to schools and groceries. Carleston Elementary, Rogers Middle School, Pearland Junior High South, and Pearland High School all provided good experiences and a good education to our daughter, who is finishing her junior year of high school with good grades. The Pearland High School state football championship was a real highlight of this school year.

I have never gotten water in my house although it was a little scary during Allison and Ike. I think a few houses near the entry of Westwood have gotten water in a couple of the worst tropical-storm type rain events, and there is street flooding, but I don't think it's been a huge problem. Pearland has been doing a lot of drainage work in the area, so it may be better now than it was during Allison. Perhaps a Westwood resident can weigh in on this? Or look in Springfield, which as far as I know has not had any home flooding.

Thank you so much for your input. Our eldest daughter will be a junior in August. The house we were looking at seems to be completely updated, but will definitely ask about the plumbing, roof, and a/c. We are trying to get out there in May to house hunt and I don't want to lose out on anything good. It's hard to look for a house from so far away.

Thank you so much for your input. Our eldest daughter will be a junior in August. The house we were looking at seems to be completely updated, but will definitely ask about the plumbing, roof, and a/c. We are trying to get out there in May to house hunt and I don't want to lose out on anything good. It's hard to look for a house from so far away.

League City and Clear Lake are both part of the Clear Creek Independent School District. One thing that may be important depending on your kids' interest in music is that Pearland and Friendswood do not have orchestra programs, only band and choir. Clear Creek, Pasadena, and HISD all have orchestra. (as do most other neighboring school districts.)

I know for sure there are a couple of two-story houses for sale just inside the entrance to Springfield. You're literally talking about a golf-ball hit away from Westwood so you should look in Springfield too if that whole area appeals to you. It's also walking distance to the new city Recreation Center and Natatorium.

I would also check out Pasadena. Lots of established subdivisions between Genoa-Red Bluff and Fairmont Pkwy along Space Center Dr. It's just minutes from either Ellington AFB or NASA along either Old Galveston Rd or Space Center Blvd.

Depending on which side of Space Center you're on, you're in either Deer Park or Pasadena schools.

Getting really great info from you all. Thanks so much. Have been finding lots of great houses and hope they will stick around for us to get there and check em out in person. Any other useful info is still more than welcome. We are moving from a very small town, although we are both from bigger cities, it will take some getting use to. I hope there are dog parks nearby too! My pups love to run!

Getting really great info from you all. Thanks so much. Have been finding lots of great houses and hope they will stick around for us to get there and check em out in person. Any other useful info is still more than welcome. We are moving from a very small town, although we are both from bigger cities, it will take some getting use to. I hope there are dog parks nearby too! My pups love to run!

For your pups: http://www.houstondogpark.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Went house hunting and found one and they accepted our bid...in Pearland. I couldn't believe the traffic EVERYWHERE! This will take a lot of getting used to. I was raised in big cities, but it's been over 10 years since I've lived in one. And my soon to be 16 yr old gets to learn to drive in that. LMAO This will be interesting indeed. The kids aren't sure about the uniforms, but I guess they will adjust. Will be moving in just a few short weeks. =)

Went house hunting and found one and they accepted our bid...in Pearland. I couldn't believe the traffic EVERYWHERE! This will take a lot of getting used to. I was raised in big cities, but it's been over 10 years since I've lived in one. And my soon to be 16 yr old gets to learn to drive in that. LMAO This will be interesting indeed. The kids aren't sure about the uniforms, but I guess they will adjust. Will be moving in just a few short weeks. =)

When your kids get ready to take their driving tests, go to a dps office out away from the city. We went to the one in Richmond and it was far less crowded and the folks were much nicer than the closest one to us (off the Beltway near Clay Rd). Well worth the extra drive.

I'm guessing you are on the west side, Shadow Creek Ranch area. It's not as bad on the east side. Or maybe you're just not used to it yet. I've lived there long enough it's graduallty gotten worse without me noticing, like the frog in the pot of boiling water.

Archived