LA Mod House in "A Single Man"

Scott08

Anyone seen the recent movie "A Single Man." It's set in 1962 and features a very cool mod house in Los Angeles. Colin Firth's main character mentions that's it's "in the canyon," presumably Laurel, and that his deceased partner "was an architect." I don't think it was a set, it looked too real and too detailed to be anything other than a true location shot. Didn't see anything in the credits but wondering if the house has any pedigree or simply another of the numerous cool LA homes of the era.

Anyone seen the recent movie "A Single Man." It's set in 1962 and features a very cool mod house in Los Angeles. Colin Firth's main character mentions that's it's "in the canyon," presumably Laurel, and that his deceased partner "was an architect." I don't think it was a set, it looked too real and too detailed to be anything other than a true location shot. Didn't see anything in the credits but wondering if the house has any pedigree or simply another of the numerous cool LA homes of the era.

Haven't seen the movie, but it was in the architectural press that Tom Ford had used John Lautner's Schaffer Residence in the film. You can google that name for images of the interior and exterior. http://www.johnlautner.org/wp/?p=277 The house is early Lautner, so still somewhat influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Wow, thank you for that information and link. Following the links shows that the house is still for sale at $1,495,000, not too outrageous at all by LA standards. Same realtor also has a Neutra and a FLW for sale. The movie makes great use of its interiors, fully furnished in vintage chic, and almost a character itself. You don't see nearly as much of the exterior, I'm guessing that they wanted to "disguise" its immediate surroundings somewhat.

Archived