June 27 Mod of the Month- 2 Open Houses 2-4PM

SpaceAge

Mod of the Month

Houston Mod invites you to join us this Sunday, June 27th (2:00-4:00 PM), for Mod of the Month.

Two interesting mid-century modern houses currently for sale will be open for touring. They are located in North Houston in the Spring and Champions areas.

610 Ames Street, Spring, Texas 77373

North Hill Estates, Section 2

hr2547611-2.jpg

Front- 610 Ames Street

hr2547611-10.jpg

Courtyard- 610 Ames Street

Walls of glass provide views of a large private courtyard melding indoors and outdoors at this well priced modern house in Spring. Come see the unique flat roofed modern home with many upgrades. The kitchen and both full baths have been remodeled. The living room has hardwood floors while there are slate floors in family room, breakfast area, and kitchen. An extra room near the master bedroom could be used as an office, gym, or nursery. The house is situated on a large lot, over 1/3 acre, on a cul de sac street in an established neighborhood with a forested area in back. The Woodlands is located 15 minutes to the North and downtown Houston is 30 minutes to the South.

HAR link

6006 Bermuda Dunes Drive, Houston, Texas 77069

Champions North

hr2388285-31.jpg

6006 Bermuda Dunes Drive

This exciting early 1960's contemporary style house opens to expansive views of the highly regarded Champions Cypress Creek Golf Course. The roomy three bedroom house with large living room, dining room and family room has a free flowing plan with lots of glass and patios viewing the 8th green. The house has been well maintained and fortunately remains in mostly original condition.

Champions Golf Club was founded by Jack Burke, Jr. and the late Jimmy Demaret in 1957. From its origin, Champions has consistently carved its place in golf history hosting such prestigious events as the Ryder Cup and the US Open and it remains a primary USGA tournament venue. Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw, and Tiger Woods are among the professionals who have played the course. The Cypress Creek Course was designed by Ralph Plummer and opened for play in 1959. With over 70,000 trees, wide fairways and enormous greens, it remains one of America's premier tournament sites. The Champions clubhouse was designed in 1956 by Goleman and Rolfe Associates, Inc.

HAR link

Meet members of Houston Mod. Sign-up or renew your membership.

Houston Mod publications will be available including the recently released High Style in the Suburbs, The Early Modern Houses of William Jenkins,1951-1958.

See you there!

Houston Mod

Houston Mod was recognized with a third Good Brick Award from the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance for the Mod of the Month open house program.

Thanks for this info! I've seen that first house in Spring from the outside many times and always loved it. There are some neat homes around that area (45/Cypresswood) in North Hill Estates and Enchanted Oaks. Lots of character in those neighborhoods!

I enjoyed meeting a couple of Modders at the Ames house on Sunday. I heard of that house several years ago when I first got on this forum and had driven by a couple of years ago to see it. I really like its current state. We noticed a couple of small flaws but for the most part it looks to be in good mechanical/structural shape, and I think the remodelling has been a tasteful update that modernizes the house without denying its heritage. The house's biggest deterrent is its location, if it was in one of Houston's closer in, more well known mod areas, it would sell quickly. A man from the neighborhood told me there is only other modern style house in the subdivision, he was there just to ogle like many open house patrons are. I looked over HCAD records, as well as talking to a realtor friend of mine, and it looks like one family had the house since the 80's, then sold it in 2006 and the current owner bought if for a song just a few months ago. Not sure if it was purely to be flipped, or a case of lost interest, but now it's back into the jungle of a depressed real estate market. I hope it finds a good owner, if I was closer to retirement age, I might be willing to give up my 15 minute commute to live in it, but it's too isolated in suburbia for me.

Archived