Mason Park People?

Ms. Pris

I'm in the process of buying a house in Mason Park and am hoping to hear from someone who lives there. The big challenge right now is the deed restrictions- people are having trouble interpreting them and one interpretation means we want this place, one means we don't.

Specifically, the house we are looking at has a garage apartment, which we intend to rent out. No one can tell us if the deed restrictions prohibit renting or not.

Other than that, I'd also love to hear from people who live there, about the area in general... so far we really like what we see :)

Regardless of what the deed restrictions say, it is up to neighborhood residents to report violations. The City is not proactive about deed restrictions at all. The vast majority of your neighbors aren't going to care one way or the other, if they're even aware of the existence of the deed restrictions or what's in them.

My advice to you is to buy the house, rent the apartment, and keep on renting it (whether that's violating the deed restrictions or not) until the neighborhood gets organized and cracks down on offenders. There'll no doubt be a multitude of offenders if and when that happens, so I'd expect leniency regarding penalties, if there is even a mechanism for penalties.

We're probably talking about a time horizon measured in decades for the neighborhood to transition so completely to affluent yuppies with a stick up their collective ass that they would actually take deed restrictions seriously. If and when they overrun your neighborhood, you can joyously cash out at Heights-like pricing and take your pick of other less uppity neighborhoods.

Thank you for the advice and that HILARIOUS observation! We'll do exactly what you suggest.

We're probably talking about a time horizon measured in decades for the neighborhood to transition so completely to affluent yuppies with a stick up their collective ass that they would actually take deed restrictions seriously. If and when they overrun your neighborhood, you can joyously cash out at Heights-like pricing and take your pick of other less uppity neighborhoods.

Archived