Water Around The House

My house is in Katy and was built in 2006. Since about a year ago, I have been noticing water ozzing out occasionally from a crack in my driveway. I did not pay much attention to it till now, when suddenly my water bill has quadrupled. I don't know if the drivway water and the water around my house are related in any way.

PS: I have a detached garage

I have shut off all the faucets in the house and the water meter does not move. So there is no leak there. I also got the water company to come out and check the meter and it is fine. There is no loss on any channel of the sprinkler system, indicating no problem with the sprinkler system either.

However all around the house, in genral, there is a lot of water. Whenever the lawn guy comes to plant a shrub in the front yard, he says there is so much water underneath the surface (even 6-8 inches underneath, the soil is REALLY wet)

What can be the cause of the water? Whom should I call? How should I start to diagnose the cause of water loss ?

I do plan on running each channel of sprinkler for two minutes and checking the water meter to see if any one channel is busted. But other than that I am out of ideas.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Dry weather conditions can cause the underground supply line to your house to crack. You probably won't notice any difference in your household water pressure but you will see a lot of water around the house, maybe even standing in the yard when there has been no rain. You will also see an increase in your bill.

I am going through the EXACT same thing with my house, for the second time. It happens about every ten years or so. They're digging up my yard as I speak.

However all around the house, in genral, there is a lot of water.

so have you been using the sprinkler system even though there is lots of water all around the house? i would think a leak would be isolated to a relatively small area, with the grass more lush in that area. if your supply comes in the front, i wouldn't expect your backyard to be wet as a result of a leak in the supply line.

so have you been using the sprinkler system even though there is lots of water all around the house? i would think a leak would be isolated to a relatively small area, with the grass more lush in that area. if your supply comes in the front, i wouldn't expect your backyard to be wet as a result of a leak in the supply line.

My yard is fairly big, so I do need to use the sprinkler even with water around.

The water is mainly in the front side of the house, not much in the back. And it seems like sporadic, today the ground seems to be dry. But some days it has been REALLY wet without any rain.

The water is mainly in the front side of the house, not much in the back. And it seems like sporadic, today the ground seems to be dry. But some days it has been REALLY wet without any rain.

I would stop watering in front and see what transpires. if there's a leak, you'll be able to narrow the area down.

• The title was changed to Water Around The House

Archived