General Growth Properties Pulls Bridgeland Off The Market

mrfootball

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6485249.html

Master-planned community Bridgeland off the market

By NANCY SARNOFF Copyright 2009 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

June 17, 2009, 5:01PM

General Growth Properties has taken its Bridgeland master-planned community off the market.

The announcement came not long after the company awarded a local real estate firm the right to buy the entire development.

The company will continue to develop the project as planned, and has

Well, Bridgeland makes sense for people who work in far west or far northwest Harris County - But for people working in central Houston I don't see how Bridgeland makes sense (unless they want a long commute).

I think this is good news for Bridgeland.

The Caldwell guys are good people, and yes, this was a good deal (on paper) but I think they bit off more than they could chew in trying to make this acquisition.

Towne Lake is nice, but it is no Bridgeland, and I would be worried to see what changes to the current master plan they would make to the Bridgeland project.

I think this is good news for Bridgeland.

The Caldwell guys are good people, and yes, this was a good deal (on paper) but I think they bit off more than they could chew in trying to make this acquisition.

Towne Lake is nice, but it is no Bridgeland, and I would be worried to see what changes to the current master plan they would make to the Bridgeland project.

Cool thing about Towne Lake is that you can have a 21-ft ski boat or runabout on the lake.

Cool thing about Towne Lake is that you can have a 21-ft ski boat or runabout on the lake.

I keep seeing the billboards with water-skiers... But really?? I mean, I used to water-ski a lot, and 2 things about this are hard for me to believe... 1, you kind of need a fairly long lake/river with decent width, and 2, generally as you approach a residential area you get strict no-wake rules. Is the lake in Towne Lake (is it called... Towne Lake?) really going to have the kind of size you need to enjoy skiing in? (I mean, other than a quick up & down for a photo op!). I've driven through the development a couple of times, and I'm not seeing it...! (Granted, they still have a long way to go)

We used to ski on a 200 acre lake in Lubbock (Buffalo Springs) tight fit, but very doable. 300 acres is plenty of room for boating and waterskiing. They will have to regulate who puts their boats in and it could get crowded on the weekend, but they should be able to manage that.

They need to quit expanding the size of Houston out into the farmlands. It just adds to traffic and pollution. I could understand if the land had geographical uniqueness, but it's just open farm land with little to no trees. All of Fry Rd. is flat and boring. Instead of building where there's lots of open land, redevelop land that is inside the Beltway 8 on 290. The land where Bridgeland sits should be open natural space.

The land where Bridgeland sits should be open natural space.

Like it or not, "open natural space" doesn't make much $$$ for the owner. At least use it for farming or ranching.

And...developers wouldn't be developing land way out in BFE if there weren't willing buyers. I don't understand the desire to live out there, the desire to have a "new" home in the burbs, but apparently I'm in the minority. Fact is, if there are willing buyers, there will always be somewhere there to cash in. Similar to crack dealers.

They need to quit expanding the size of Houston out into the farmlands. It just adds to traffic and pollution. I could understand if the land had geographical uniqueness, but it's just open farm land with little to no trees. All of Fry Rd. is flat and boring. Instead of building where there's lots of open land, redevelop land that is inside the Beltway 8 on 290. The land where Bridgeland sits should be open natural space.

Supply and Demand, as simple as that.

Also, wherever you live used to be something else. if you are in the city, then it used to be a forrest that was cleared to make a farm that was cleared to make whatever it is you live in.

Don't be so naive and ignorant about the world. When you move out to a true piece of native land, and live off the earth in a tent, then we can talk because your actions will finally speak louder than words. I know I am coming off as crass, but this mentality never makes sense to me. It is hypocritical.

We have been over this before, but sometimes it needs repeating, but we don't all want to live in the city, some of us live and work in the boonies. I am very certain my drive in is less than yours. I have all of the shopping conveniences within 3 miles of my house, probably the same as you. I just live in a smaller, self contained community than you, and I love it.

Also, the land where most new development is taking place, like Bridgeland, is nat natural itself. it is laser leveled rice field. if the land was to be let fallow, it would be inundated with non-native, invasive species in less than 5 years, killing off the native species and reducing habitat for native animals. What good would that do for society? Nature? All I can say is please know what you are saying before you say it.

• The title was changed to General Growth Properties Pulls Bridgeland Off The Market

Archived