Glass Shower Door Directly on Floor?

Hello,

In Europe it is common to install a shower door directly on the floor (tile) rather than having it on a "ridge". This will create a contemporary look. Is it against code to do this in Houston (and where can I find the code on that)?

Thanks!

The door does not even have to touch the floor at all. It is just commonly done that way to keep water in. There is no requirement to do it that way.

EDIT: Oh, are you talking about the raised portion under the door? There are ways to recess the shower pan or slope it to get around that ridge.

The door does not even have to touch the floor at all. It is just commonly done that way to keep water in. There is no requirement to do it that way.

EDIT: Oh, are you talking about the raised portion under the door? There are ways to recess the shower pan or slope it to get around that ridge.

Yeah I was thinking of sloping the tile floor towards the drain but have the door directly on the tile. Just don't want to face some code violation couple of years down the road during an inspection when I sell the house.

I just did one of these for a client in a wheel chair. We busted the bathroom floor out all the way to the slab. Then we sloped the whole bathroom floor toward the drain with concrete (1/4" of slope per linear foot away from the drain I believe) Then we put the shower pan liner on top of that.We extended the shower pan almost all the way across the room. We had our shower pan test to ensure that the pan held water and did in fact drain quickly toward the drain when the the drain was opened. Then we floated the shower pan liner with concrete, again sloping toward the drain. Then we tiled on top of that. The client requested small "curbs/thresholds" at both ends of the shower just to make sure water stayed in the shower at the corners. We thinset bricks down to the floor and tiled over them. But we could have left that out and had a threshold-less shower.

Done1.jpg

flipper

I just did one of these for a client in a wheel chair. We busted the bathroom floor out all the way to the slab. Then we sloped the whole bathroom floor toward the drain with concrete (1/4" of slope per linear foot away from the drain I believe) Then we put the shower pan liner on top of that.We extended the shower pan almost all the way across the room. We had our shower pan test to ensure that the pan held water and did in fact drain quickly toward the drain when the the drain was opened. Then we floated the shower pan liner with concrete, again sloping toward the drain. Then we tiled on top of that. The client requested small "curbs/thresholds" at both ends of the shower just to make sure water stayed in the shower at the corners. We thinset bricks down to the floor and tiled over them. But we could have left that out and had a threshold-less shower.

flipper

Ahh ... cool thanks for sharing. That is exactly what I want to do.

Archived