Alvin ISD Purchases Land For New School

The news announcement of this is here. It's not really clear just where this location is at yet, but it might be between the Southern Trails subdivision and Kirby Drive. If this is really the location, I'm not sure what that means for the proposed Ridge Rock subdivision that was supposed to go in there, or for the Lowe's at Kirby Crossing project. If anyone can dig up more about this, please post here.

I have a call in to the Alvin ISD to get the scoop on the exact location of this purchase. Hopefully, they will call back today or tomorrow. If I don't hear back from them, I will call the city of Pearland and try digging from that angle.

Edited by Timnwendy

The news announcement of this is here. It's not really clear just where this location is at yet, but it might be between the Southern Trails subdivision and Kirby Drive. If this is really the location, I'm not sure what that means for the proposed Ridge Rock subdivision that was supposed to go in there, or for the Lowe's at Kirby Crossing project. If anyone can dig up more about this, please post here.

Yes, that is the general location from what I have heard. I have also heard the land is alreadybeing cleared, but have not driven by to check it out.

Joan

I just got a call back from a representative at the Alvin ISD. They say the land parcel they purchased for a future school is, in fact, the vacant land between Southern Trails and Kirby Drive.

Looking at a map, I suppose it is still possible to carve out 70 acres between Kirby Dr. and the eastmost section of Southern Trails while still giving 20 acres for the new Lowe's project at Kirby and 518, and allowing for the other 9 acre parcel that Zann has for sale right next to the ST entrance on 518. But just barely.

Many of my neighbors and I are happy about this purchase. We could have done alot worse than a school next door. Now we must hope that the AISD doesn't get greedy and resell that land later, when it really appreciates in a few years. If they are even allowed to do that, I'm not sure...

Edited by Timnwendy

Just an FYI, 70 acres is not a big enough space for a high school. If I recall Dawson on Cullen was only able to acquire 90 acres and they are building a three story school as a result. I think the current thinking is they like to have 100 acres. Dawson is a 4A school with a projected enrollment of 2,000 in four grades.

Just an FYI, 70 acres is not a big enough space for a high school. If I recall Dawson on Cullen was only able to acquire 90 acres and they are building a three story school as a result. I think the current thinking is they like to have 100 acres. Dawson is a 4A school with a projected enrollment of 2,000 in four grades.

You have a point; However, I don't see them building another Junior High so close to the recently opened Nolan Ryan Jr. High since they already have land for a future Jr. High in the corner of 518 @ Kingsley. In terms of Elementary Schools, they already have 2 within SCR and there are plans/space for another 2. Time will tell.

• 5 months later...

There was an update in the Pearland Journal about this land. Apparently, the overcrowding of AISD schools on Pearland's west side is prompting a bond referendum to fund a startup for a school (type-yet-to-be-announced) on this land. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/14/pearland_journal/news/9-10_pj_alvin_isd_bonds.txt

• 2 weeks later...

There was an update in the Pearland Journal about this land. Apparently, the overcrowding of AISD schools on Pearland's west side is prompting a bond referendum to fund a startup for a school (type-yet-to-be-announced) on this land. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.hcnonline...n_isd_bonds.txt

Pretty sad...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this was going to happen, just like the traffic problem at the new high school on Cullen and road construction at the same...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.ultimatep...-new-elementary

Shadow Creek growth sparked plans for new elementary

October 16, 2009 4:21 pmRobert Stanton wrote:Shadow Creek Ranch will be home to the Alvin Independent School District’s 14th elementary school now that trustees have OK’d a contract to purchase the 15-acre tract.

The school board on Tuesday approved the $1.7 million contract to purchase the land on Kingsley Drive at Trinity Bay Drive. It will be the district’s third elementary campus in Shadow Creek Ranch. The others are Laura Ingalls Wilder Elementary and Mary Marek Elementary.

The land purchase and infrastructure arrangements for the new elementary school will be funded by Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. 2, which serves Shadow Creek Ranch, said Tommy King, the district’s deputy superintendent for business and support services.

“This is the latest school site inside the TIRZ,” King said.

The TIRZ pays “for all the land and the development necessary to make that land a site for the school. The money’s paid back through taxes coming in. Twenty-five percent of taxes from the growth in the increase in (property) value go to pay for that," he said.

“That way, it keeps the growth in that area from having a negative impact upon the taxpayers of the district.”

Fueling the decision to build the new school is the phenomenal growth of Shadow Creek Ranch, King said. Alvin ISD currently has 8,636 students in grades K-5.

“We have a 17 percent growth rate at Wilder Elementary, and the (other elementaries) in the area are growing at 12 percent,” King said. With the new school, he added, “We’re trying to accommodate that growth.”

King said the district plans to complete the land acquisition by early spring, and construction bids should go out by February. Construction is slated to begin in March, with a projected completion of June 2011.

• 3 months later...

On Feb. 18th, 2010, Mayor Reid gave a presentation which included the slide I have attached to this post. The slide discusses the new high school which Alvin ISD will build between The Pearland Towncenter and Southern Trails. What is interesting is the schematic of the footprint of the high school upon the 70 acres in the land parcel. The schematic shows the placement of buildings and sports facilities on the property. The street you see running north/south just west of the tennis courts and soccer fields is Bright Landing Lane, in the Sage Meadows section of Southern Trails.

Today I contacted Pearland City Planning about the schematic, to ascertain if it is a mock-up, an early draft, etc. They told me they got it from the Alvin ISD. I have a call in to the Alvin ISD to get more information. Meanwhile, the city told me that Alvin ISD has not sent in a building plan for formal application of a building permit for the school. So it seems logical this schematic is only a draft.

I will post a follow up when I learn more.

post-4743-12666094476039_thumb.jpg

Today I received this reply from the Alvin ISD, which makes it clear the schematic is only a conceptual draft. We'll have to continue to watch this project unfold, especially when the next bond referendum comes up for it.

Future High School #3 for Alvin ISD has not yet been designed. The early draft that Mayor Reid was using was only "conceptual", to demonstrate that all of the amenities for a 5A high school will fit on the site.

Funding for construction of this school will be part of a future bond election and may look nothing like the exhibit that Mayor Reid was using. There are no other drawings available at this time.

There is much more planning and work to be done.

Thanks for your interest and support.

• 1 year later...

On Feb. 18th, 2010, Mayor Reid gave a presentation which included the slide I have attached to this post. The slide discusses the new high school which Alvin ISD will build between The Pearland Towncenter and Southern Trails. What is interesting is the schematic of the footprint of the high school upon the 70 acres in the land parcel. The schematic shows the placement of buildings and sports facilities on the property. The street you see running north/south just west of the tennis courts and soccer fields is Bright Landing Lane, in the Sage Meadows section of Southern Trails.

Today I contacted Pearland City Planning about the schematic, to ascertain if it is a mock-up, an early draft, etc. They told me they got it from the Alvin ISD. I have a call in to the Alvin ISD to get more information. Meanwhile, the city told me that Alvin ISD has not sent in a building plan for formal application of a building permit for the school. So it seems logical this schematic is only a draft.

I will post a follow up when I learn more.

This is great news! I am a Shadow Creek resident that currently teaches high school in FBISD.

This is great news! I am a Shadow Creek resident that currently teaches high school in FBISD.

I agree it's good, but lets not get hasty. Another referendum will need to be passed by the voters so AISD actually has the funds to begin building the high school. Or so I have been told.

I agree it's good, but lets not get hasty. Another referendum will need to be passed by the voters so AISD actually has the funds to begin building the high school. Or so I have been told.

Quick question Tim,

I live in SCR any my backyard faces The Enclave at Southern Trails although I'm looking at a brick wall lol. I see that there are tractors and dirt operations going on right in front of the Enclave. I was wondering if this is for clearing of homes or is it something else since the dirt seems to be elevated so high?

Also, is there any word of what the land on the other side of my brick wall will be utilized for?

Quick question Tim,

I live in SCR any my backyard faces The Enclave at Southern Trails although I'm looking at a brick wall lol. I see that there are tractors and dirt operations going on right in front of the Enclave. I was wondering if this is for clearing of homes or is it something else since the dirt seems to be elevated so high?

Also, is there any word of what the land on the other side of my brick wall will be utilized for?

Taylor-Morrison came into Southern Trails late last year, and they are teaming with Newmark Homes Houston to develop the last sections of the Enclave. That's what you are seeing. New road extensions and utilities are going in now. Lots of home construction will be occuring there this year (and the next few).

I don't know where the land behind your brick wall is located. But if your wall borders Broadway, it probably will remain greenway.

Taylor-Morrison came into Southern Trails late last year, and they are teaming with Newmark Homes Houston to develop the last sections of the Enclave. That's what you are seeing. New road extensions and utilities are going in now. Lots of home construction will be occuring there this year (and the next few).

I don't know where the land behind your brick wall is located. But if your wall borders Broadway, it probably will remain greenway.

Yes that is what I meant. The brick wall faces Broadway and then there is a big green field. It is directly across from where construction is going on at the Enclave. I thought maybe the field was going to be retail space in the future since it is so big.

• The title was changed to Alvin ISD Purchases Land For New School