Contemporary Prefab?

Hi,

Just curious to find out if any of these contemporary prefab constructions exist in Houston (similar to those found in: http://fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fablisthome.htm). Also is there any thing in the Houston code preventing these from going up? Mind you, these are not sloppy throwaway constructions but high quality green buildings ....

I really like these two: http://www.rocioromero.com/ and http://www.marmolradzinerprefab.com/

Any thoughts appreciated.....

An architect told me about three years ago that there is a city ordinance against manufactured housing, and that the interpretation was unclear as to whether it would pose a barrier to any kind of prefab/modular housing. Nobody had yet had the balls or pocketbook to try to test the ordinance outright, but I think that there's a small company that has been skirting the ordinance with some projects they've done around town, including one on Cordell Street in the Heights. I can't remember the company's name off the top of my head, but I've got one of their cards somewhere around here.

An architect told me about three years ago that there is a city ordinance against manufactured housing,
someone mentioned this to me on friday nite and asked when that changed but she had no idea....there appear to be ordinances on the books now permitting manufactured homes. even manufactured home parks are mentioned.

it also mentions specifically that deed restrictions can keep em out. maybe that's where the architect's concern becomes valid.

• 3 months later...

Actually, "manufactured housing" is strictly limited in Houston; however, that term is technically defined as housing designed to trailer house standards, i.e. dept of transportation specs, NOT residential building code. The prefab companies named in the original inquiry (as are mine, the shipping container ones referenced as "skirting" the ordinance), are all built to (or more accurately, in excess of) standard building codes. As such there is NO problem with these, although you need to follow all the standard permit and inspection procedures...ie engineer's seal, open-wall inspections, etc. As an aside, Texas actually has an "industrialized home building" program state-wide that prohibits local jurisdictions from excluding prefab housing under this program for any reason other than deed restrictions. If it meets code, it allowed. period.

An architect told me about three years ago that there is a city ordinance against manufactured housing, and that the interpretation was unclear as to whether it would pose a barrier to any kind of prefab/modular housing. Nobody had yet had the balls or pocketbook to try to test the ordinance outright, but I think that there's a small company that has been skirting the ordinance with some projects they've done around town, including one on Cordell Street in the Heights. I can't remember the company's name off the top of my head, but I've got one of their cards somewhere around here.

Actually, "manufactured housing" is strictly limited in Houston; however, that term is technically defined as housing designed to trailer house standards, i.e. dept of transportation specs, NOT residential building code. The prefab companies named in the original inquiry (as are mine, the shipping container ones referenced as "skirting" the ordinance), are all built to (or more accurately, in excess of) standard building codes. As such there is NO problem with these, although you need to follow all the standard permit and inspection procedures...ie engineer's seal, open-wall inspections, etc. As an aside, Texas actually has an "industrialized home building" program state-wide that prohibits local jurisdictions from excluding prefab housing under this program for any reason other than deed restrictions. If it meets code, it allowed. period.

Very good to know! Thank you.

Archived