Washateria Recommendation

I've never really used a washateria besides the ones in my apartment complexes. I am currently dryer-less, and have been line drying my laundry but am worried about a rainy day ruining my plans. Does anyone use a washateria in the East End they could recommend? I live in Broadmoor.

Peace!

The nicest, newest one is across from Eastwood Park on Harrisburg and Dumble, in the newish strip center. I think it's called Spin Cycle. I've used it before-- definitely the cleanest and best machines compared to the other ones in the hood.

Have you used the one at Polk and Sidney? How is that?

The nicest, newest one is across from Eastwood Park on Harrisburg and Dumble, in the newish strip center. I think it's called Spin Cycle. I've used it before-- definitely the cleanest and best machines compared to the other ones in the hood.

That is a very good and safe one!

They give you a card to swipe and I believe there are TV's so you select what channel YOU want to see. Hee hee. This one is well kept and even has machines with sandwiches, etc & tables to eat or read while you watch the clothes go round. :)

Have you used the one at Polk and Sidney? How is that?

Yes, actually. Before buying the new place, I used the one on Polk and Sidney almost every week before I got a dryer. As long as you go when when it's not busy, it's ok. Very small so gets dirty quick with the weekend crowds. I think the dryers run too hot, I would occasionally get that burnt smell when using the super-capacity ones on comforters and stuff. Convenience store next door has 8 liners to pass the time.

Many thanks for this info. I need to wash a comforter that won't fit in my home washer/dryer.

A long while ago I asked about a good dry cleaner in the East End area but no one had any recommendations. Is there a reputable one in Midtown or the Montrose area? I have some nice tailored things and some silks that I don't want to be ruined.

Many thanks for this info. I need to wash a comforter that won't fit in my home washer/dryer.

A long while ago I asked about a good dry cleaner in the East End area but no one had any recommendations. Is there a reputable one in Midtown or the Montrose area? I have some nice tailored things and some silks that I don't want to be ruined.

The Cleaners in shopping strip behind Denny's at 45/Woodridge (next to Shipley Donuts) is pretty good but getting real expensive. -_-

The old one on Sidney & Polk is it? Has some really good old machines. If you go early in am you avoid the crowds. That manager is always on top of things. He has been doing a great job for years. Just be aware of some of the element that lingers nearby. He is good about running them off too. This place has those extra powerful good LARGE machines that clean and wring out fine.

Try McGowen Cleaners on the corner of Fairview and Morse, just west of Dunlavy. If you have high end things they'll take care of it for you, and charge you a high end price. Dry cleaning of a shirt (ONE SHIRT!!) starts at $20(or was it $12? I don't recall, but either way, :o ). They explained to me it's all done by hand. Whatever.

Thanks so much. I drove by the Spin Cycle and it does look really nice. Considering the weather I think this is going to be an option this week! :-)

You'll be glad you did. It's a good business run by good staff who are good people and who always seem to be cleaning (at least when I'm there). As was said before, there's several vending machines (5 maybe?) as well as an old-school arcade machine. There's also one or two microwaves if you need them for whatever reason and two picnic tables where you can sit and read while your clothes wash.

Be on the lookout for the kids, though. The laundromat is like a play day for them sometimes! And every now and again you'll see someone selling helotes or fruit w/ chile.

Don't forget to have cash for your electronic laundry card. Otherwise you'll have to use the ATM that's inside in order to load it.

I guess you can tell that I spend a lot of time there, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Dry cleaners can be really shady around here. I've tried most of the ones in the neighborhood, but haven't found anyone that I like. One by UofH even ruined one of my shirts!!

I just go to Midtown Cleaners at 2313 Bagby. It's a bit out of the way, but they are worth it.

• The title was changed to Washateria Recommendation

Archived