St. Emanuel Townhomes Near Kim Son

Anyone have any thoughts on the cluster of 5 townhomes going in at St. Emanuel near polk? They seem very nice, and the price seems right as well. Its right up on 59 (2 blks back) so the road noise is there, but a good view of downtown and what seems to be a good location for future growth. Any thoughts from you guys?

My wife and I are thinking of putting an offer in on one, does anyone know mcuh about the builder, a man named John Scarbourough. He also built the line of bricl townhomes a couple fo blocks back from these.

St. Emamuel townhomes

This is the link for the standalone, the attached are 10k less.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cluster of 5 townhomes going in at St. Emanuel near polk?  They seem very nice, and the price seems right as well.  Its right up on 59 (2 blks back) so the road noise is there, but a good view of downtown and what seems to be a good location for future growth.  Any thoughts from you guys?

My wife and I are thinking of putting an offer in on one, does anyone know mcuh about the builder, a man named John Scarbourough.  He also built the line of bricl townhomes a couple fo blocks back from these.

St. Emamuel townhomes

This is the link for the standalone, the attached are 10k less.

I actually considered the phase 1 development last year. The views would be great. The issue I had with it, which may not be issue for you, is that its a three story and I prefer two stories. Also the area has alot of older properties as well as run down buildings and companies. There also appears to be a number of homeless people walking around as well. I prefer the area north of this being developed by InTown and Juliet as it is a lot quieter and appears to be a better area for redevelopment as they have less existing businesses and a lot of abandoned warehouse and properties which are better candidates for being redevloped. You should drive around the two area and you'll know what I'm talking about. If you do choose the St. Emanuel property and money isn't an issue, I would suggest going for the free standing property. Its got better resale value and apperas to have better views as well.

I would second the motion on going for the freestanding unit. I think we will see more developers go to some level of freestanding as the standard townhome market continues to get saturated. I would think resale would be better.

i've heard from a new homeowner that perry homes has sold 90 homes just east of this location, close to polk and live oak. they are sold out. this homeowner loves the neighborhood and has not had any problems.

i think this would be a cool place to live, however i would recommend getting extra security as their is a lot of petty theft and crime in the area. if you want to talk off line about the neighborhood send me a pm as i own a buiseness down the street from this location and know a lot about the area.

dream

I have looked at the Juliet and intown development on clinton, (and the perry one next to alexan) but actaully preferred the area near Kim Son as it seemed closer to downtown and easier access (not depending on one bridge over the bayou to get there. Then there is the Sheriff development over there that I wouldn't think wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon. That and the fact that the juliet development is backed by lots of low income homes, I just thought the Kim son area was a better choice as there is no housing of any kind within a few blocks of it, just warehouses, many of which are empty and forsale.

As for the attached/detached, I would very much rather have the single family one, but it is gone. When we set out looking for a house, I said I would not buy an atatched townhome, which we are now going to do.... I'm not so worried because it seems like a good deal considering how it will be finished out, the fact that its not a mega development with a 50 house row of townhomes a la perry development, and the fact that it is finished out more like the juliet homes (higher end finishes) vs. perry homes.

I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the subject.

I had a different impression on the areas. The Juliet an InTown homes are in an area where their is alot more room for development. If you talk to the InTown sales rep, he can tell you all the different lots that are being bought out by developers. I never got that impression or info on the Kim Son area. Plus, there is the Buffalo Bayou master plan which at least is a vision for future growth. The Kim Son area seems to have more business that do not appear to be going away anytim soon. It just seemed alot dirtier somehow. So in the short term, I would think there would be alot more developments in the Juliet/InTown area. I also drove around alot in both areas at different time of day and do actually see alot more homeless people walking around by the Kim Son area. And I don't necessarily see the sheriff's station as a negative as I never hear sirens going off whenever I visit the area and it would be a good crime deterrent. As for being closer to downtown, If you work in the North end of the CBD, its actually faster to take the 10 to the 45 and exit at Dallas. But I don't see 5 minutes compared to 8 minutes being that big a deal. Just my opinion.

Guest danax
I had a different impression on the areas. The Juliet an InTown homes are in an area where their is alot more room for development. If you talk to the InTown sales rep, he can tell you all the different lots that are being bought out by developers. I never got that impression or info on the Kim Son area. Plus, there is the Buffalo Bayou master plan which at least is a vision for future growth. The Kim Son area seems to have more business that do not appear to be going away anytim soon. So in the short term, I would think there would be alot more developments in the other area. I also drove around alot in both areas at different time of day and do actually see alot more homeless people walking around by the Kim Son area. And I don't necessarily see the sheriff's station as a negative as I never hear sirens going off whenever I visit the area and it would be a good crime deterrent. Just my opinion.

The Clinton area seems very quiet due to it being an industrial area converting into residential and it pretty much shuts down after 6pm. As for the rough looking neighborhood to the north, they look pretty harmless and on their way out and that will allow I-10 to become the dividing line between the different communities.

It seems like you're on a hill over there and the distance from the skyline is just right, not too close.

The KimSon area is more your city street style area with all of the noise, homelessness etc. The 59, the ballpark parking. Are the views any good from there or does Minute Maid block them?

I agree with danax and oakslinger. As I have posted previously, I am building off Clinton with In Town. I did look at that area near Kim Son where Perry is building what they call St Charles Square. It does look like there is a lot of already abandoned lots there and definitely less little homes. However, there is no real plan and looks like it will be random developers doing whatever. I think Juliet is building around there as well now too, calling it Midtown Village I think, when its not really in midtown. I think the access is a little bit better into DT from the St Emmanuel site, but the problem there is the fact a lot of cars race through there trying to get to 45, through DT, etc.

I like the Clinton area better for the reasons already mentioned and the general long term plan they have for the area, but my hope would be that both areas keep growing quickly towards each other and "meet in the middle" to a certain extent. They are pretty close anyway. As for all those little homes near the Clinton area, I know some people don't like for others to say this, but the sooner they are bought out, the better in my opinion. Sorry.

Two other points, USA today ran an interesting article today on gentrification:

USA today article

Also, can someone quickly tell me how to post photos here? I was out at the lot site taking some photos this past weekend and think a couple would be interesting to you all.

I have looked at the Juliet and intown development on clinton, (and the perry one next to alexan) but actaully preferred the area near Kim Son as it seemed closer to downtown and easier access (not depending on one bridge over the bayou to get there.  Then there is the Sheriff development over there that I wouldn't think wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.  That and the fact that the juliet development is backed by lots of low income homes, I just thought the Kim son area was a better choice as there is no housing of any kind within a few blocks of it, just warehouses, many of which are empty and forsale.

As for the attached/detached, I would very much rather have the single family one, but it is gone.  When we set out looking for a house, I said I would not buy an atatched townhome, which we are now going to do....  I'm not so worried because it seems like a good deal considering how it will be finished out, the fact that its not a mega development with a 50 house row of townhomes a la perry development, and the fact that it is finished out more like the juliet homes (higher end finishes) vs. perry homes.

I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the subject.

Checked it out. didn't like the view of the convenction center.

the area reminds me of the omegaman movie. altho it will eventually get better. the live oaks lofts are selling off really slow.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These are the greatest townhomes Ive ever seen!

Just kidding, I am the builder of this project., its a very nice project. I am really trying to focus on offering a property that has extremely nice finishes in it as well as quality construction. I use things like high grade trusses, tyvek, Tech shield (many units)... under the skin and great looking hardwoods, stainless steel backsplash's, cool sinks, cool faucets, nice tile and different paints. The arch I used on this project does a pretty good job but I am moving on to a different arch now. I hired one guy for a small project on Pinemont that is pretty plain but that's really what is probably good for the area. My next project after that will be on the east side at St Emanuel and Clay and I am working with another guy. One of the things I am looking for is someone that is accessable. I can't tell you how many times an architect has told me that the reason they aren't ready is because they have been busy. Hell we are all busy. So I am really looking for a quality designer, affordable prices, and loves to talk to me=). I am real excited about the St Emanuel and Clay project. It will be two 2 story units on St Emanuel and one 3 story stand alone unit on clay. My plan is to have roof decks. If no roof decks I want to put a 5 foot balconies. My plan is to offer these units in the $190K-240K range. My hope is for the 190K but we will see.

I used Ikea cabinets in my last project and they looked great! However, they were a little of a pain in the you know what. I want to find a good looking affordable cabinet that is comparable to the IKEA look. Anyone know of any?

These are the greatest townhomes Ive ever seen!

Just kidding, I am the builder of this project., its a very nice project. I am really trying to focus on offering a property that has extremely nice finishes in it as well as quality construction. I use things like high grade trusses, tyvek, Tech shield (many units)...  under the skin and great looking hardwoods, stainless steel backsplash's, cool sinks, cool faucets, nice tile and different paints. The arch I used on this project does a pretty good job but I am moving on to a different arch now. I hired one guy for a small project on Pinemont that is pretty plain but that's really what is probably good for the area. My next project after that will be on the east side at St Emanuel and Clay and I am working with another guy. One of the things I am looking for is someone that is accessable. I can't tell you how many times an architect has told me that the reason they aren't ready is because they have been busy. Hell we are all busy. So I am really looking for a quality designer, affordable prices, and loves to talk to me=). I am real excited about the St Emanuel and Clay project. It will be two 2 story units on St Emanuel and one 3 story stand alone unit on clay. My plan is to have roof decks. If no roof decks I want to put a 5 foot balconies. My plan is to offer these units in the $190K-240K range. My hope is for the 190K but we will see.

I used Ikea cabinets in my last project and they looked great! However, they were a little of a pain in the you know what. I want to find a good looking affordable cabinet that is comparable to the IKEA look. Anyone know of any?

js,

has this project sold out yet? what is left? are you going to be the builder on the newly cleared lot at hutchins and jefferson? where are your other developments? i'm interested in buying in this neighborhood. thanks

dream

js,

has this project sold out yet? what is left? are you going to be the builder on the newly cleared lot at hutchins and jefferson? where are your other developments? i'm interested in buying in this neighborhood. thanks

dream

I have one more unit in this project available. Its a 1750 sq foot unit. I am putting a lot of nice finishes in here. Asking price is $230K. You can PM me if you want to talk about it more.

I'm not the builder at Hutchins and Jeffereson. I tried to buy that propoerty but was unsuccessful at getting a return call from the owner. Hopefully it will be something cool.

My next project is at Pinemont west of Shepherd. I will be selling at $150's for a 1700 sq footer. These will be pretty vanilla to start off. Its a 21 lot townhome develoment. I am building triplexes. I am trying to talk the land developer into really making the "green area" a nice place for the homeowners. If they do that will be a very nice amenity.

The next project will be at St Emanuel and Clay, right next door to my current project. Even though it is only a 3 unit development I am very excited about it.

I am currently working on trying to acquire some larger (for me) tracts in this area or others. What I really want to do is develop a small 10-20 unit condo with nice touches starting around $150 for a small one bed. I have one tract in mind as we speak.

One thing to consider that wasn't mentioned is that, in 3 or 4 years, the Southeast Metrorail extension will run near the St. Emmanuel lofts on either Walker or Rusk until it turns south on either Dowling or Scott, according to current proposed routes. Metro Southeast Study (cumbersome pdf file).

From the looks of the new revised Phase II plan. There will no longer be lightrail on the Southeast end initially. It looks like they're replacing it with buses.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3229392

Guest danax
From the looks of the new revised Phase II plan. There will no longer be lightrail on the Southeast end initially. It looks like they're replacing it with buses.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3229392

Gee, I feel like my post was the kiss of death. Well, we'll be counting on that area to become a dense urban bedroom community so that ridership levels will cause a quick conversion to rail.

There's really no other area in town that can so painlessly convert to dense residential. There are so many old, defunct industrial properties for sale over there that all that is needed is demand.

I agree it makes no sense for that area to be the wasteland it currently is.

I know a lot of people have been discussing this in the transit forum, but I would still take the BRT's into downtown, especially since it would not be that far of a ride from the close in east end. It may not be as "glamorous" as rail, but if set up the way they talk about, it seems it would be just as convenient. Given the choice of an express bus, train, wheelbarrow, whatever they come up with, I'll take it just to not have to drive.

I don't think BRTs instead of LRT in the Southeast will have any effect on home construction at all. This location is one mile or less from downtown. People moving to that area will be coming for the location, not the possibility of one rail line, which may be up to half a mile away.

Besides, if the area builds up, ridership will increase, and they'll convert it to rail.

Archived