Cheapest House in Robindell is a Mod

WAZ

Hummm... three bedrooms, one and one half baths? That certainly is an issue if one has children. Curious that a home of this size and time period would not feature two full baths. That item alone would likely be a significant deal breaker with most. That and from what can be gleaned as well as inferred from the images, considerable work would need to be done to bring this home up to contemporary standards (i.e. plumbing, electrical wiring, HVAC upgrades, etc.). You can be fairly confident that this home has been painted and caulked to the point that there are no 90 degree corners -- everything softly rounded with 50 years of caulk & paint-over.

WAZ is correct that the asking price will allow for increased renovation monies but unless the buyer has deep pockets -- as a construction loan may be challenging to acquire these days -- this one is probably a tough sell. I don't know anything about the neighborhood and that would be a key item (as well as the school) for most folk.

A little provenance would be helpful (if any exists). Is there a suggestion of a particular architects body of work? Is there a home owners association with records that could shed light on this home?

This home is priced to sell but 82K suggests something else is going on.

Post follow-up: Property is a forclosure; schools are as follows -- McNamara Elementary, Middle: Fondren Middle School, High: Sharpstown High School (info via Zwillow.com)

WAZ is correct that the asking price will allow for increased renovation monies but unless the buyer has deep pockets -- as a construction loan may be challenging to acquire these days -- this one is probably a tough sell. I don't know anything about the neighborhood and that would be a key item (as well as the school) for most folk.

The neighborhood is Robindell, and its a great neighborhood (with the exception of the schools it's zoned to - see below). There's easy access to the Brays Bayou Hike & Bike Trail; a Community Pool about 1/4 mile from the house. And very active civic clubs and citizens on patrol programs. I personally know the Civic Club President over there.

A little provenance would be helpful (if any exists). Is there a suggestion of a particular architects body of work? Is there a home owners association with records that could shed light on this home?

This could be a tough one. The people in Memorial Bend really care about their mid century history, but it seems that people around here don't have time for that. I'm the only one that I know of who's done any research. But I'm sure there's information out there.

This home is priced to sell but 82K suggests something else is going on.

Post follow-up: Property is a forclosure; schools are as follows -- McNamara Elementary, Middle: Fondren Middle School, High: Sharpstown High School (info via Zwillow.com)

Yes, the schools it's zoned to suck. But if you found the same house a mile east and zoned to Bellaire schools, you'd pay $250k for it. Similar houses in Robindell that are not foreclosures can go for around $130k; updated, bigger, and towards the east of the subdivision can top $180k.

Your point about the construction loan is well taken, though. I blew my savings, maxed out two credit cards, and borrowed money from my parents to renovate my mod. Had to - couldn't get a construction loan:-(

Ha ha, if it's in Robindell, just call it a William Floyd and no one will argue with you. That's my over-simplistic view of it. There are a dozen houses in Robindell that I want to know the architect of. I know 2 are possibly Jenkins, including the one next door to this one that's for sale and one on Reamer, but I don't know anything else about those houses... There are a couple on Braeswood at the entry to the subdivision that really catch the eye.

It won't be easy to find out the details unless there are some oldies with good memories over there. Oldies, is that politically incorrect?

Jason

Archived