Targeted Cyclical Enforcement for Apartments?

WAZ

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Targeted Cyclical Enforcement for Houston Apartments?

• Yes
    • No

The post about 'old apartments' in the Crater Houston Alliance forum was absolutely right.

Apartments in Houston are deteriorating, and part of the reason is Houston's weak inspections of apartments. By concentrating on individual complaints, Houston's building inspectors miss some of the worst apartment complexes, and do incomplete inspections of others.

New York City's Targeted Cyclical Enforcement Program (T-CEP) was developed in 2005 to address exactly these problems, and it has results. In its first year, the program had 229 apartment buildings with a total of 3,637 apartments inspected. Legal action has been taken against the owners of the worst apartments.

The T-CEP program works using annual polls of City Councilmen, civic groups, and tenants to determine which apartments require attention. Those apartments recieve a 'roof to cellar' inspection by the City. Depending on the number and severity of the code violations, the City will either work with landlords to remediate the problems, or take the landlords to court.

A similar program in Houston would allow the City to better determine which apartments have problems. The City could then concentrate its efforts on those apartments that need attention; without wasting time inspecting apartments that are in good condition.

I'm of the view that this is worth bringing to the attention of Mayor Bill White and the Houston City Council. But what do you think?

I'm of the view that this is worth bringing to the attention of Mayor Bill White and the Houston City Council. But what do you think?

when money isn't allocated to hire enough inspectors to properly inspect new structures...not sure your hopes could be fulfilled on inspecting older apartments.

The T-CEP program works using annual polls of City Councilmen, civic groups, and tenants to determine which apartments require attention. Those apartments recieve a 'roof to cellar' inspection by the City. Depending on the number and severity of the code violations, the City will either work with landlords to remediate the problems, or take the landlords to court.

This part bothers me a little bit. In neighborhoods where there are organized and angry people they could tear apart a well-meaning landlord. And in neighborhoods that are apathetic or full of recent immigrants (who tend not to want to attract attention), apartment buildings could be left to rot because no one makes a stink about it.

Maybe what's needed is a "roof to cellar" inspection of apartment complexes every five years or so on a regular schedule. Maybe require the results to be posted in the office the way restaurants have to post their health inspection results (in some cities).

This part bothers me a little bit. In neighborhoods where there are organized and angry people they could tear apart a well-meaning landlord. And in neighborhoods that are apathetic or full of recent immigrants (who tend not to want to attract attention), apartment buildings could be left to rot because no one makes a stink about it.

I don't see vocal neighbors tearing apart a good landlord. It's not hard to distinguish between a troubled complex, and one that isn't troubled. And most neighbors aren't vindictive. Furthermore, council districts are big enough that the City has to pick and choose between different complexes. There could be a neighborhood that complains about apartments that really aren't that bad - but they'll be shot down by neighbors across the district who live near genuinely troubled apartments..

The second part of your concern is more valid. Neighborhoods with apathetic people may not have as big a voice in the T-CEP. Perhaps a second part of the Houston T-CEP should be that apartments face a 'roof to cellar' inspection if there's a serious crime on the property - like if someone is murdered there. Often apartments with code violations also suffer from serious crime problems. That would get around the neighborhood apathy problem. And it could also be a big incentive for landlords to take seriously the security of their tenants.

I'm worried that if we just inspect apartments every 5 years, the City might go first to properties that don't need it, while properties that really need it have to wait.

• 5 weeks later...

I only recently heard that Marvin Zindler had finally passed away. Even though I was a victim of his back in the 1970's , I stil would tune in just to see him Rant and of course hear those famous words, MAAAAARRRVINNN ZINDLER EYEWITNESS NEWS! Ed Shaver, scrubba

Archived