Confederate House Restaurant At 4007 Westheimer Rd.

WillowBend56

I ate there once for a special evening out with my girlfriend, circa 1982. This was at the original Highland Village location on Westheimer. Let's see what I can remember: there was a brass plate on the door stating "Coat and Tie Required." There was an antebellum plantation mural, white tablecloths, and crystal chandeliers. All of the waitstaff were old and thoroughly professional black gentlemen. If one ordered a baked potato, they would "fix" it for you at table. I don't remember what we had, steak probably, and the pecan ball with ice cream was a very good dessert. I have the menu in Houston Epicure, maybe I'll scan it. As I recall it was a great meal and, while expensive, was not the most expensive in town by a long shot.

I ate at a place that I was thinking was the Confederate House ca. 1978-9 that was located on San Felipe just west of Wesleyan. What was that???, anyone know? This could not possibly have been later than 1981.

I don't remember the location on Westheimer but do the one that was on Alabama at Weslayan, not Richmond, later the Black Angus.

I don't remember if all the waiters at the place on San Felipe were Black or not but I do remember thinking the place was an anachronism.

I ate at a place that I was thinking was the Confederate House ca. 1978-9 that was located on San Felipe just west of Wesleyan. What was that???, anyone know? This could not possibly have been later than 1981.

Could that have been the CH in its earlier incarnation as a private club? Or maybe you're thinking of the Highland Village location, which I'm pretty sure was at Westheimer and Weslayan. It was sort of on the edge (no pun intended) of Highland Village.

I don't remember the location on Westheimer but do the one that was on Alabama at Weslayan, not Richmond, later the Black Angus.

It was the Black Angus first, originally owned by the Vargo family. In 1993 Betty and Gordon Edge bought the property and moved Confederate House there. In 1999 Frankie Mandola and his partner bought out the Edges and soon after changed the name of the restaurant to The State Grille. Last year, I believe, the landowner refused to renew the SG's lease and demolished the restaurant building, planning, I believe, a 27 story tower. Swamplot says that nothing happened with that but I haven't been by lately to see.

I don't remember if all the waiters at the place on San Felipe were Black or not but I do remember thinking the place was an anachronism.

Thanks for the history marmer but no, I'm sure the resto I ate at was on SF. Haven't been down that street in quite a while so can't remember what's there now. I think I can place the spot on Westheimer, also, after thinking about it and that's not where I went.

Wasn't aware if it was a private club and my boss, who was treating, wasn't classy enough to get in to a private club if it was :lol:

• The title was changed to Confederate House Restaurants
  • The title was changed to Confederate House Restaurant At 4007 Westheimer Rd.