Meadowbrook Arches

We lived in Meadowbrook from 1966 to 1984 when my father retired, and parents moved.

This thread is blowing my mind! I roamed all the streets mentioned (by bicycle and later by car). I never knew there were Meadowbrook arches on Belfort and Howard.

I went to school with the Olsen brothers (of Spanish-style house at Glenbrook C.C. fame). 3 brothers (2 of which are twins) and a sister. Very nice people. Mr. Olsen was also a coach at Marion Catholic High School in the '57 time frame.

Living in Meadowbrook from the mid-60's, the Olympic Pool was the best thing that ever happened in hot/humid Houston.

I always thought of Meadowbrook, Glenbrook CC, and Glenbrook Valley as separate areas. But after reading all the previous posts, there was some "bigger plan" at least in the naming of these areas.

I lived on Juliabora street. One side of Juliabora had the original homes of Meadowbrook. The other side of Juliabora has homes built a little more randomly at a later time, my guess in the early to mid 1960's and some even later.

Behind us was/is "Dogpatch", an area of duplex homes. By the time my parents moved out of Meadowbrook, Dogpatch was pretty rough. Dogpatch had/has a big open "park" area in the middle, I used to play there. I always heard that Dogpatch houses were originally used to house the military. Can anyone provide any insight into this?

I did witness the area progress. There was a small grocery at Howard and Winkler, I believe it was called "Abe's". When a new bigger shopping center was built across the street, Abe's moved and became "Save-Mart". That was our local grocery shopping place. My father's business was in the same shopping center. The building that was "Abe's" later became a boat dealer, and I believe that later became the location for Jack In The Box.

Even earlier than "Save-Mart" was a strip center on Winkler with a Washateria on the extreme left, and "O.S.'s" little diner/malt shop on the extreme right. The fire station was just across the side-street from the Washateria.

We used to play in the giant field at Bonner Elementary. We usually had enough people to play football or softball. It was a great place in the neighborhood to meet with friends and play.

I wonder where the developer came up with the (diverse?) street names? Mildred, Bendell, Juliabora, Arizona, Barkley, Elrod, Howard, Bliss, etc.

Urban Legend: It was rumored that Kenny Roger's brother lived in a corner house on Bendell street. We did know the guy, a nice guy, and if asked I think he would say "yes I am" (K.R.'s brother). But we never believed him 100% and had no way to really know. Lots of fun though. I think K.R. is originally from Houston area.

-Gary K

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
......Urban Legend: It was rumored that Kenny Roger's brother lived in a corner house on Bendell street. We did know the guy, a nice guy, and if asked I think he would say "yes I am" (K.R.'s brother). But we never believed him 100% and had no way to really know. Lots of fun though. I think K.R. is originally from Houston area.

-Gary K

Are you talking about Leland Rogers? He ran the International Artists record label--famous for the 13th Floor Elevators, Red Krayola & other sterling examples of Texas high weirdness.

He did live in Houston and he was Kenny's brother....

I believe the area you speak of, Dogpatch, is listed on the Sanborn maps as "Sam Houston Gardens". My understanding is that it was used for housing for pilots (and their families) from Ellington Field. From what I can remember, the map does show an open park area in the middle, surrounded by identical rectangular homes, some in the entrance look like they were bigger, may have housed the higher ranking officers (just a guess). Streets are the ones you mention, Juliaboro, etc. The layout was a large triangle.

One thing I found interesting, recently when looking at the historic aeriels site, was the shapes & layouts of those apartment swimming pools that bordered Meadowbrook, on Winkler. Of course, it shows them all filled in, later years.

Are you talking about Leland Rogers? He ran the International Artists record label--famous for the 13th Floor Elevators, Red Krayola & other sterling examples of Texas high weirdness.

He did live in Houston and he was Kenny's brother....

Well it could be but ...

Even back when, I don't think a head of a record label would be living in Meadowbrook. The man's house, personality, and dress was too reserved, unassuming, unpretentious. That's my problem with the scenario, if he was KR's brother you would not ever ever guess it.

Thanks for the info!

-Gary K

I believe the area you speak of, Dogpatch, is listed on the Sanborn maps as "Sam Houston Gardens". My understanding is that it was used for housing for pilots (and their families) from Ellington Field. From what I can remember, the map does show an open park area in the middle, surrounded by identical rectangular homes, some in the entrance look like they were bigger, may have housed the higher ranking officers (just a guess). Streets are the ones you mention, Juliaboro, etc. The layout was a large triangle.

One thing I found interesting, recently when looking at the historic aeriels site, was the shapes & layouts of those apartment swimming pools that bordered Meadowbrook, on Winkler. Of course, it shows them all filled in, later years.

NenaE,

What are the Sanborn maps of which you speak? And the "historic aeriels" (aerials?) site? Sorry if this is common knowledge ...

Many thanks,

-Gary K

NenaE,

What are the Sanborn maps of which you speak? And the "historic aeriels" (aerials?) site? Sorry if this is common knowledge ...

Many thanks,

-Gary K

Ok, found HistoricAerials.com, wow! Lots of fun!

Sanborn maps?

-Gary K

http://www.houstonlibrary.org/research/cat...y/HAT_page.html

3rd from bottom...does require a current library card. Once in the maps, try the 1924-50, 51 catagories. Also, notice the keys at the front of each set of dates, lot of help when looking for something specific. Once you get used to it, it's not so cumbersome to use. Try Vol.6 for Meadowbrook, Southeast area.

See update below.

Oops, I was wrong, see 1924-50, Vol.12, 1946, Sheet 1303. Shows layout for the S.H. Gardens.

NenaE,

Thanks very much! I will get a new library card and take a look at these maps.

BTW I went to grade school at St. Christopher Catholic School. The Park Place branch of the Houston Public Library was (still is?) right across the street. I had a library card from that library 40 years ago ... Now what did I do with that card? :)

-Gary K

NenaE,

Thanks very much! I will get a new library card and take a look at these maps.

BTW I went to grade school at St. Christopher Catholic School. The Park Place branch of the Houston Public Library was (still is?) right across the street. I had a library card from that library 40 years ago ... Now what did I do with that card? :)

-Gary K

(replying to my own post! :))

NenaE,

I found the map set at the HPL, thanks! This I can look through for hours! A great resource!

It would be great if the maps went to 1960. The map set at HPL doesn't go to the 60's, even though it says the map set is through 1970. I guess not for Houston.

Still, what a great resource!

Thanks again,

-Gary K

(replying to my own post! :) )

NenaE,

I found the map set at the HPL, thanks! This I can look through for hours! A great resource!

It would be great if the maps went to 1960. The map set at HPL doesn't go to the 60's, even though it says the map set is through 1970. I guess not for Houston.

Still, what a great resource!

Thanks again,

-Gary K

You will find yourself accessing all resources, time after time, depending on what exactly you are looking for.

The ones I frequent are:

HCAD Block Books (Layout of the property, original owners of land)

HCAD Home Tax Records (to get the condition of homes, yr. blt. if you can trust it)

HAR (what's out there, yr. blt)

Sanborn Maps (to get addresses, see layouts)

Maps (Texas source & tmariars website map list, and HAIF sources)

http://houstorian.wordpress.com/old-houston-maps/

not to mention the historicaeriels site & google earth

there are so many good on-line links these days...

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

8429 Bonner St.

Always thought this house was unique, with that round entryway. Looks like it was made well. It would have sat very near the east-side arches and entryway to the neighborhood. One early map shows the first entrance road to Meadowbrook (from OGR) close to this house, Howard Dr. didn't cross OGR yet. May be why the street runs at an angle, here.

block books show layout...

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v059/AE1997_59_0226.jpg

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v059/AE1997_59_0225.jpg

Note: on the second BBook map, at the bottom, on Glenview, there are two red boxed lots across from where the Country Club ballroom would have stood. I believe it is significant, possibly linked to the Country Club. Very old homes sit on those lots, one spanish-style.

It's good to see more discussion about my old neighborhood.

Sam Houston Gardens was proper name for area bounded by Elrod, Garland & Ratama streets, but everyone called it dogpatch. When I was a kid, there was a large clubhouse/community center, where boy scouts met, at the park, in middle of neighborhood. I lived a couple blocks away but had lots of friends & classmates that lived in dogpatch. I'm pretty sure this area was built as Federal Public Housing, just after WW2, to accomodate returning, discharged GIs. Most all of the units were duplexes & the ones that were not were equivalent to half of a duplex. All of the units looked about the same when I was a kid - either white, gray or tan asbestos siding & casement windows - typical post war cheap construction in the area. Most were rental units but, later on some were sold & owners did some improvements.

If I'm not mistaken, Howard Dr. didn't actually "cross" Galveston Road until sometime in the '60s, but rather ended at OGR. I remember a stop sign & later a light there. Just across OGR were a couple beer joints & some other buildings. Later, Howard was extended over into Oak Meadows/Forest Oaks area.

Ernie

Sam Houston Gardens was proper name for area bounded by Elrod, Garland & Ratama streets, but everyone called it dogpatch.

I wonder how the "Dogpatch" name for that area came to be?

When I was a kid, there was a large clubhouse/community center, where boy scouts met, at the park, in middle of neighborhood. I lived a couple blocks away but had lots of friends & classmates that lived in dogpatch.

Where was the community center located? In the middle of that park? And did you attend Bonner Elementary?

If I'm not mistaken, Howard Dr. didn't actually "cross" Galveston Road until sometime in the '60s, but rather ended at OGR. I remember a stop sign & later a light there. Just across OGR were a couple beer joints & some other buildings. Later, Howard was extended over into Oak Meadows/Forest Oaks area.

And, I'm curious how the developer of Sam Houston Gardens and Meadowbrook picked those street names: Howard, Garland, Elrod, Ratama, Mildred, Bendell, Bliss, etc. These mostly seem to be people's first or last names. If so, were these "real" people?

-Gary K

I wonder how the "Dogpatch" name for that area came to be?

Where was the community center located? In the middle of that park? And did you attend Bonner Elementary?

And, I'm curious how the developer of Sam Houston Gardens and Meadowbrook picked those street names: Howard, Garland, Elrod, Ratama, Mildred, Bendell, Bliss, etc. These mostly seem to be people's first or last names. If so, were these "real" people?

-Gary K

I don't remember, maybe never knew, how dogpatch was named or any of the street names either. As I remember it, the building was about in the middle of the park,

Yes, I went to Bonner - a "mid termer", started 1st grade in January '51 - then Deady & Milby.

Ernie

I found a plat map of "dogpatch" - see link below. Map indicates that there WAS some connection between the neighborhood & the "Federal Public Housing Authority", which operated between 1937 & 1949. Seems like many folks believe it was wartime military housing, so I might be wrong about post-war construction - wouldn't be first time & probably won't be the last.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v075/AE1997_75-2_0094.jpg

Ernie

I found a plat map of "dogpatch" - see link below. Map indicates that there WAS some connection between the neighborhood & the "Federal Public Housing Authority", which operated between 1937 & 1949. Seems like many folks believe it was wartime military housing, so I might be wrong about post-war construction - wouldn't be first time & probably won't be the last.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v075/AE1997_75-2_0094.jpg

Ernie

Thanks Ernie!

From the Sanborn Maps (which I found out about from NenaE) early to mid-1950's "Dogpatch" ...

Earlier Sanborn map of the area (#1303) calls the subdivision "Sam Houston Gardens Federal Housing Project".

Houston_1924_1950_vol._12_2C_1946_2C_Sheet_1303.pdf

Later Sanborn map of the area (#1303) calls the subdivision "Ellington Field Non Com. Officers Housing Project".

Houston_1924_Feb._1951_vol._12_2C_1946_Nov._1950_2C_Sheet_1303.pdf

So it had something to do with housing for Ellington Field, possibly an overflow due to insufficient space at the airfield?

I always wondered about this, because Dogpatch is not exactly close to Ellington. Although the two were/are accessable via a drive on (Old) Galveston Hwy.

It would be so very interesting to get a look at Dogpatch back in its earliest days, and military days.

-Gary K

So it had something to do with housing for Ellington Field, possibly an overflow due to insufficient space at the airfield?

I always wondered about this, because Dogpatch is not exactly close to Ellington. Although the two were/are accessable via a drive on (Old) Galveston Hwy.

It would be so very interesting to get a look at Dogpatch back in its earliest days, and military days.

-Gary K

From the way other streets are filled in, looks like it was first a Federal Housing Project & later NCO housing for Ellington. Sure do wish that the maps had a date stamp on them, so we could tell exactly when each one was. As far back as I can remember, dogpatch was considered an undesirable area (as all of Meadowbrook probably is now), mostly rentals but with a few well kept homes. I had a friend whose parents bought a whole duplex, knocked some walls out & made a nice large (maybe 1600 sq ft) house out of it. The house I grew up in was about 850 sq ft, so 1800 seemed huge.

From the way other streets are filled in, looks like it was first a Federal Housing Project & later NCO housing for Ellington. Sure do wish that the maps had a date stamp on them, so we could tell exactly when each one was. As far back as I can remember, dogpatch was considered an undesirable area (as all of Meadowbrook probably is now), mostly rentals but with a few well kept homes. I had a friend whose parents bought a whole duplex, knocked some walls out & made a nice large (maybe 1600 sq ft) house out of it. The house I grew up in was about 850 sq ft, so 1800 seemed huge.

The north side of Howard has always seemed to stay "nice" to me. The lots seem bigger. Why was the neighborhood, park & pool not named the same? Confusing...Glenbrook Park, Pool & Meadowcreek neighborhood. And Glenbrook being on the other side of the freeway. :wacko:

The San Felipe Courts/ Allen Parkway housing project had a similar story to this one. I've read that it was supposed to be a low income housing project but the war came & Houston needed the space for the defense workers & their families. So they took it over, and it later reverted to low-income housing. You might find additional info. on Dogpatch thru the books written about Ellington. I know threre are some out there. I would talk to the people at the historical Hobby Terminal Museum.

Sure do wish that the maps had a date stamp on them, so we could tell exactly when each one was.

I can come a little closer to dating these. After 1947, when USAF split from the ARMY, Ellington was renamed as "Ellington AFB" rather than "Ellington Field", so the second map is before 1947 & first one is even before that. Note that the church between Howard & Barkley isn't there in first map. Also, first map is missing a bunch of houses that I remember on Barkley & Howard. I had a friend that lived in 4th house from Radcliffe, south side, on 8200 block of Barkley. That house looked like a late '20s/early '30s brick house, unlike most of frame houses, it is there on both maps. If you have these maps for 8100 & 8000 blocks, we could further isolate the time, because I know "my" house, on Barkley, was built between 1938 & 1941 (I could probably be more specific, but I'd have do dig in boxes in attic for papers).

Ernie

The north side of Howard has always seemed to stay "nice" to me. The lots seem bigger. Why was the neighborhood, park & pool not named the same? Confusing...Glenbrook Park, Pool & Meadowcreek neighborhood. And Glenbrook being on the other side of the freeway. :wacko:

Some of the lots on Howard were double, maybe triple width & a many of houses were "nicer" than other areas. These were probably early construction, late '20s or early '30s. Last time I was there, 8 or 9 years ago, looked like Howard was mostly commercial. Don't know if it was rezoned or if Houston still doesn't pay much attention to zoning.

I don't know when the pool was built, but closest one when I was a kid was Pasadena.

Ernie

Don't know if it was rezoned or if Houston still doesn't pay much attention to zoning.

Houston still doesn't have zoning but I think Howard is still "protected" from commercial with deed restrictions.

In '99, The city tried to enforce them after the hoa complained... but then the businesses banded together and put out propaganda out about how deed restrictions limit your property rights and got a pro business slate elected to the home-owners association.

I think the city just didn't have the resources to make the businesses shut down if the new hoa didn't want it enforced.

They may have even got the deed restrictions changed or eliminated but i can't really remember.

There was some guy involved that makes it his job to get deed restrictions eliminated in neighborhoods by playing up the property rights angle. Seems like the "helped" Pine Valley or some other SE neighborhood do the same thing.

Some of the lots on Howard were double, maybe triple width & a many of houses were "nicer" than other areas. These were probably early construction, late '20s or early '30s. Last time I was there, 8 or 9 years ago, looked like Howard was mostly commercial. Don't know if it was rezoned or if Houston still doesn't pay much attention to zoning.

I don't know when the pool was built, but closest one when I was a kid was Pasadena.

Ernie

I want to guess the pool was built in the mid to late sixties. I have a vague memory of my dad driving down a dirt road at night to show us kids the new construction. I was very young. The architectural details seem to suggest the same time period. I remember orange & turquoise in the olympic rings on the bldg. entrance.

Houston still doesn't have zoning but I think Howard is still "protected" from commercial with deed restrictions.

We must be talking about different Howard Drives. I just "drove" through the Meadowbrook portion (using Google street scene), from Winkler to OGR & back. It may not have been over 50% commercial, but it was close - lots of houses with front yards paved & house converted to some commercial use & several actual commercial buildings. I can remember when it was ALL residential, except for the Baptist Church at Arizona & Smith's Grocery at Winkler.

Also, I can't really imagine any effective Homeowner's Association in Meadowbrook. There sure wasn't any such thing 35 years ago when my mother sold her house on Barkley.

Ernie

We must be talking about different Howard Drives. I just "drove" through the Meadowbrook portion (using Google street scene), from Winkler to OGR & back. It may not have been over 50% commercial, but it was close - lots of houses with front yards paved & house converted to some commercial use & several actual commercial buildings. I can remember when it was ALL residential, except for the Baptist Church at Arizona & Smith's Grocery at Winkler.

Also, I can't really imagine any effective Homeowner's Association in Meadowbrook. There sure wasn't any such thing 35 years ago when my mother sold her house on Barkley.

Ernie

nope..same howard.

oh yeah..i know there are businesses everywhere. This was back in '99 when values starting increasing in Meadowbrook, with new homeowners moving in, and people wanted to clean it up..but the businesses obviously didn't.

Check out this article from the chronicle archives:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1999_3132904

There have been businesses on Howard Dr. as long as I can remember...mostly houses turned into them. From lounges to chiropractors to a Utotem to daycare facilities, to photographers to furniture showrooms. From late 1960's, on. Nothing new, IMO.

BTW, two residences that always stood out to me (on Howard) are the house across from Utotem, east of it (used to be covered in bushes, for the longest, very mysterious) north of Howard, and the SaltBox? rectangle one, same area, south side of Howard. The second one always seemed so different to me.

I just looked at those houses on GoogleEarth. First one not so interesting now, you can actually see it. And the second one is a business...go figure, address: 8446.

nope..same howard.

Check out this article from the chronicle archives:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1999_3132904

According to the 10 year old article:

"The business owners say all they want is a reprieve, more than the 15 days given them, to examine whether there remains a possibility of changing the deed restrictions. Or at least they want more time to move."

Evidently the businesses got a lot more than a 15 day reprieve! I wonder what the result was with the City Attorney

The Meadowbrook Civic Club didn't amount to much when I was a kid, evidently still doesn't amount to much or have any real authority - and definitely shouldn't be confused with a Homeowner's Association. According to the article, 75 business owners & homeowners were at the meeting. This wouldn't even represent a quorum (10%) at a Homeowner's Association meeting.

Ernie

There have been businesses on Howard Dr. as long as I can remember...mostly houses turned into them. From lounges to chiropractors to a Utotem to daycare facilities, to photographers to furniture showrooms. From late 1960's, on. Nothing new, IMO.

BTW, two residences that always stood out to me (on Howard) are the house across from Utotem, east of it (used to be covered in bushes, for the longest, very mysterious) north of Howard, and the SaltBox? rectangle one, same area, south side of Howard. The second one always seemed so different to me.

I just looked at those houses on GoogleEarth. First one not so interesting now, you can actually see it. And the second one is a business...go figure, address: 8446.

I can't say exactly when, but I seem to remember when the Utoem was built. Seems like 2 or 3 houses were removed or demolished to make way for it.

Another one, maybe two, "interesting" houses on Howard were next to or very near the Baptist Church, but I can't see them now - maybe replaced by parking lot or commercial building. One house, still there, on Barkley that always seemed "out of place" is the large two story brick in the 8300 block. Maybe it was built at very beginning, when expectations for the neighborhood were higher than 900 sq. ft. frame houses.

Ernie

I can't say exactly when, but I seem to remember when the Utoem was built. Seems like 2 or 3 houses were removed or demolished to make way for it.

Another one, maybe two, "interesting" houses on Howard were next to or very near the Baptist Church, but I can't see them now - maybe replaced by parking lot or commercial building. One house, still there, on Barkley that always seemed "out of place" is the large two story brick in the 8300 block. Maybe it was built at very beginning, when expectations for the neighborhood were higher than 900 sq. ft. frame houses.

Ernie

I vaguely recall a house similar to the one you speak of...I think it was for sale on HAR, was a red brick two story, sat close to the road, had a peak, seems like over the door (English Tudor look to it). I recall a large red bricked one with a matching brick fenced-in yard. A recall a light bricked traditional one, with shudders & a large yard, two lots, very nice one, sat near the furniture store. I would have to see it, again. I think you are right about the expectations. I have always been intrigued with the mixture of styles.

Archived