Overrated Neighborhoods In Missouri City

hbcu

I grew up right outside Mo. City, went to FBISD schools, parents still live out there, etc....I've watched former pastures become neighborhoods so I'm pretty qualified to speak on the area

I returned home last week and decided to cruise down Highway 6 to see what's out there now and compiled a list of overrated neighborhoods I would never boter to spend money in

SIENNA PLANTATION

--------------------------

If I'm not going to build an estate on some acerage in this old cotton field it's not worth it....hardly any access into the neighborhood and the sections that contain tract housing aren't any different from what I saw in Teal Run. The same homes in Teal Run go for $130K but jump to $180K in Sienna....I went to an area in the back (Deer Landing?) and every home looks the same and I got lost.....you hardly get any square footage for the house...very overrated..

RIVERSTONE

--------------------

Not impressed.....why pay damn near a million bucks for a house where you have no space and everything? The new section in the back will contain spanish style patio homes that will cost nearly $500K...highway robbery...I followed a FBISD bus into the area and it doesn't even go into the gated neighborhoods....some kind of bang for your buck

TEAL RUN

------------

Didn't like it when they developed in the 80s, don't like like it now...Cookie cutter homes and hardly any access out the neighborhood...looks like the neighborhood I grew up in except the houses are overpriced....and what was so funny I saw the same streets I grew up near ready to be extended into the area.....might as well stay in the old neighborhood

WINNFIELD LAKES

--------------------

Located behind Teal Run..the developer is laughing all the way to the bank as they built alot of "row houses" with one car garages that remind me of a housing project.....that area will pretty much flip over and turn for the worst in a few years as your caught between a rock and a hard place...the only "lake" I saw is a detention pond with a pump and they've pushed the development all the way to "old" Fresno so your neighbor in a year will be someone in an unincorporated area with no kind of regards to your neighborhood...

QUAIL VALLEY/MEADOWCREEK

-------------------------------------

That area sure has changed isn't it?

Lastly...I've never seen so many homes up for sale or lease in my life..I know the real estate bust has hurt but most of these homes are already in the hands of mom and pop real estate agents whose sole job is to move people in for the almighty dollar

So your opinion is that Lakes of Olympia is dollar for dollar the best bet in Mo. City? I pretty much like the relative designs of Riverstone but would agree that I didn't see much that could reasonably command consistent $500K and up prices, especially given the lot sizes.

Sienna Plantation IS indeed convoluted in how it takes a while to actually get to the development from HWY 6.

No real opinion on the others.

Part of Lake Olympia is tract housing....I would not buy unless I can get into the gated area in my opinion.....

As funny as it sound, I prefer Glen Lakes as the older homes hold up well and worth the price and certain streets near Mo. City park in Quail Valley Thunderbird North...I had a neighbor move out there and renovated a huge house they basically got for free as HUD had it up for sale at one time...

that house sits on a corner lot but has a huge yard, three-car garage and the way he designed it added tons of value to it....I would buy that any day before I plump cash into newer areas where you don't know how will it turn out after 10 years

SIENNA PLANTATION

--------------------------

If I'm not going to build an estate on some acerage in this old cotton field it's not worth it....hardly any access into the neighborhood and the sections that contain tract housing aren't any different from what I saw in Teal Run. The same homes in Teal Run go for $130K but jump to $180K in Sienna....I went to an area in the back (Deer Landing?) and every home looks the same and I got lost.....you hardly get any square footage for the house...very overrated..

After extensive research, I moved into Sienna Plantation in 2004. While I did not build an 'estate', I did spend about $300,000 of my (and my wife's) hard earned money. Sure, we could have purchased in some of the other less expensive developments - but let me explain some of my reasoning for making my decision.

1st, I liked the fact that Sienna was wooded, and makes an effort to keep as many natural trees as possible. There may have been some sections that were originally cotton fields - but a majority of Sienna Plantation was not (unless they somehow managed to farm cotten in the thick woods).

2nd, I work downtown - and Sienna was one of the few neighborhoods with close access to the Fort Bend Tollway. Eventually the Tollway will extend south of Highway 6, and cross directly through Sienna. Regarding your comment on 'hardly any access into the neighborhood - there are several ways in and out. If you are coming from the south on Hwy6, you can get into Sienna from McKeever, Watts Plantation or Trammel Fresno - all before the main entrance. If you are coming from the north on 6, they are almost finished with the new entrance at Oyster Creek. Also, sometime in the next year or so, there will be an additional entrance from the south at Hwy521.

3rd, I am the proud father of two young kids. The extra amenities that Sienna offer really sealed the deal for me. Sienna has three neighborhood pools (one is the largest private waterpark in the south) with a fourth resort-style pool coming soon, a VERY nice fitness center, a brand new sports complex (baseball, socer fields, etc) that is just a short bike ride from my house - not to mention a world class golf course and country club. Our daughther attends the brand new Scanlin Oaks elementary, and will go to the brand new Baines middle school when she's older. Take a look at the Sienna website for pictures (http://www.siennaplantation.com).

And finally, you may have noticed the brand new H.E.B. they are building at the entrance of Sienna - and also the brand new Kroger just down the street at Hwy6 and the Tollway. That, in addition to other development in the area, indicates to me that is is a desirable place to live.

Bottom line - everyone is entitled to their opinion - and while I respect yours - I just wanted to offer my point of view as a resident. I'm very happy with my decision to live in Sienna Plantation.

Bottom line - everyone is entitled to their opinion - and while I respect yours - I just wanted to offer my point of view as a resident. I'm very happy with my decision to live in Sienna Plantation.

Great retort. I appreciate being able to read both sides.

like I said if I had the right amount of cash to build in Sienna...maybe...but unless your going to shell out $300K to get into the "decent" areas half the community isn't worth the hype....Raising kids have alot to do with an area but kids now are a different breed...I've seen kids grow up with too much in First Colony, etc. only to squander opportunities...it's what you expose them to.....

I see the apartments are coming up in the area also...that was a big fight by the developer and Mo. City to get them in as the city didn't want them but the developer kept saying its high end...and that was in 2001

Maybe since I'm black...I was never sold on the "Plantation" name also...lol......the cottom doesn't help..lol

like I said if I had the right amount of cash to build in Sienna...maybe...but unless your going to shell out $300K to get into the "decent" areas half the community isn't worth the hype....Raising kids have alot to do with an area but kids now are a different breed...I've seen kids grow up with too much in First Colony, etc. only to squander opportunities...it's what you expose them to.....

I see the apartments are coming up in the area also...that was a big fight by the developer and Mo. City to get them in as the city didn't want them but the developer kept saying its high end...and that was in 2001

Maybe since I'm black...I was never sold on the "Plantation" name also...lol......the cottom doesn't help..lol

So, it's only 'overrated' if you are spending less than $300,000? I'm not trying to argue, I just want to understand your logic. Did you know that ALL homes purchased in Sienna Plantation have access to the same amenities? Yes, even those that purchase homes for less than $300,000 have the same access to the pools, fitness center, parks, club house, recreation facillities, etc. IMHO, it is the extra amenities, and the quality of the development as a whole that allows them to charge a premium. Yes, a house that might cost only $130,000 in Teal Run will run close to $180,000 in Sienna Plantation. But guess what - people are buying it - so it's not 'overrated' to them - it's market factors (the neighborhood and schools) that are driving the price.

If you want - check out this old thread (http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/index.php?showtopic=10009) where we discuss some of the Master Planned Communities in the Sugar Land area. I posted a few pics - and also discussed the 'race' issue (FYI - Sienna Plantation enjoys a wide diversity of residents from all races).

And finally, you mention one of the main reasons I choose Sienna - my kids. Yes, I will agree that some kids who are raised in affluent neighborhods take too many things for granted - however - I'm not one of those. I feel very fortunate that my family could afford a nice home in a nice neighborhood when I was growing up (NW Houston, 1960 area). I'm happy to have enjoyed the 'Beaver Cleaver' type childhood, and feel fortunate that my family was able to provide that for me. I can only hope to provide as much to my kids, and so far, I've been more than pleased with all that Sienna has to offer.

I grew up in a decent area near Mo. City and got way more then what what you get for a new home now.....for some reason, the area began to change as alot of folks began to move further out but just open your history book to see why...

I guess if a developer can build two homes across the highway from each other but slap a fancy name in front of one and get 30K more...more power to them...but who says for what your paying in Sienna is worth the price longterm?

History suggests Sienna will go down like ever other area from 610 south and beyond so what happens next? We're already living right on the prison land so how far can we go?

as for Vicksburg.....have they built it out? Doesn't look developed enough for me and Sienna killed whatever momentum or themse it had...

I grew up in a decent area near Mo. City and got way more then what what you get for a new home now.....for some reason, the area began to change as alot of folks began to move further out but just open your history book to see why...
But that's anywhere you go. Before the early 70's most homes were individually built, and built to last.
History suggests Sienna will go down like ever other area from 610 south and beyond so what happens next?
I disagree and will take bets on this one.

look at Quail Valley for example......Sienna is nothing but an updated version with a few more bells and whistles but the concept is the same.....fancier homes closer to 1092, cheaper homes in the back....

drive through Quail Valley now and the area is nothing what it used to be....the tennis club is gone, Cartwright Road is dead as the strip centers are 80% vacant, the golf course is under some type of litigation, etc., etc.....people put big homes they'll never get their cash back so they are fighting to save the golf course among other things

I don't have anything to say about them :lol: , just wondered why they are never talked about when people speak of neighborhoods in Missouri City?!

LOL

And HBCU does have a point regarding large, highly regarded new development in the 'burbs. There are many of their ilk that are now considered "relics" by some. While the Champions area is a good example of a 70s era premium 'burb that has stood the test of time, there are others that have faded quite a bit.

I would argue that the Woodlands has stood the test of time. I would also say Kingwood and Champions as well, though these developments are fighting some issues, they are still very affluent with beautiful well kept homes. I do not know enough about Quail Valley specifically, but there ARE master planned communities that have held value through the years.

Vicksburg looks vacant to me at times....why wasn't it built out to 6?

This is the only area where I saw a Wal-Greens didn't make it

If feels vacant! I guess that's why I want people to talk about it, so they'll move out here. I feel like I'm the only one who lives in this neighborhood at times.

Probably not built out to 6 since there is a walmart allegedly that is going to go in near 6.

There is a walgreen off Rayford Road near imperial oaks just sitting empty also b/c a CVS opened across the street.

Teal Run and the surrounding develops became more of affordable option than Vicksburg at the time and then Sienna came on line and killed whatever momentum Vicksburg could develop..I knew a few folks who left my area move to Vicksburg but now it's all about Sienna for whatever reason...

• 4 years later...

Some times reading old post such as this makes you think about whats going on in these neighborhoods today. In Quail Valley I have several friends who have purchased beautiful homes on the Golf Course. The old country club is now owned by the city of Mo City and is opened to everyone and is thriving. A new Golf and Community center is going up and the links have been renovated, the old private tennis court center is now a newly renovated municipal tennis center with new surfaced courts. Home prices have shoot up as workers from the Med Center snap up homes. You can see renovation going on everywhere as the older homes are updated.Nearly every school zoned for Quail Valley has excellent ratings and the homeowner associations are active in maintaining deed restrictions

• The title was changed to Overrated Neighborhoods In Missouri City

Archived