The "santa" Featured On ABC13 Was A Scammer

VicMan

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5850247

Remember the ABC 13 news story about the man who had the presents stolen? Well, people called the network saying that he had that story before and that he was a scammer. The "kids" on TV were the man's grandchildren, and the woman was his sister in law.

The presents given to him were returned. The donations were placed in proper charities. The money was returned.

Oh, and the name he gave, Roberto Luis, is an alias. He says his real name is Reuben Garibay.

LOL! Scumbag got busted by someone calling in that saw him on the news in 2004, PRICELESS ! The age of video has truly come upon us. So, was the girl that "saw" the three men, loading up the back of the truck with his stuff, in on it ? What a P.O.S., but that is his Karma he is messing up. The only way he'll be able to pull this scam off again is if he moves to another city, and then, MAYBE !

LOL! Scumbag got busted by someone calling in that saw him on the news in 2004, PRICELESS ! The age of video has truly come upon us. So, was the girl that "saw" the three men, loading up the back of the truck with his stuff, in on it ? What a P.O.S., but that is his Karma he is messing up. The only way he'll be able to pull this scam off again is if he moves to another city, and then, MAYBE !

In my opinion the TV station shares the blame, maybe not 50/50, but if it weren't for their "investigative reporting", then the crook would never have gotten all that loot.

CyKat

In my opinion the TV station shares the blame, maybe not 50/50, but if it weren't for their "investigative reporting", then the crook would never have gotten all that loot.

CyKat

I don't quite understand how the TV goofs are to blame ? They were apparently lied to by this guy, and the story sounded plausible, you had a possible witness, you got a guy that holds up his children.........excuse me, grandchildren, up in front of the camera, what kind of person would lie like that ? He figured it had worked before and nobody did an "investigation" on his background. He failed to realize that some people just don't forget faces though, and those people called in a tip that led to the "investigation". The station meant well, and of course they propped up this family to pull at our heartstrings during Christmas, because they need stories that will hopefully gain them MORE stories of how people are so giving during Christmas. This con artist is to blame 100%, I don't blame the TV goofs for trying to get a story, that is their job. The TV goofs made amends in my opinion by showing how they themselves were duped, and confronted the P.O.S. with cameras rolling. Perhaps you are right though, if the TV goofs weren't so overzealous for "filler" sometimes, this scenario perhaps would have never played out? I think it boils down to that the guy lied and the TV goofs didn't have the time to rundown a background on the guy, thus, you get bad reporting and eggnog on your face.

I don't quite understand how the TV goofs are to blame ? They were apparently lied to by this guy, and the story sounded plausible, you had a possible witness, you got a guy that holds up his children.........excuse me, grandchildren, up in front of the camera, what kind of person would lie like that ? He figured it had worked before and nobody did an "investigation" on his background. He failed to realize that some people just don't forget faces though, and those people called in a tip that led to the "investigation". The station meant well, and of course they propped up this family to pull at our heartstrings during Christmas, because they need stories that will hopefully gain them MORE stories of how people are so giving during Christmas. This con artist is to blame 100%, I don't blame the TV goofs for trying to get a story, that is their job. The TV goofs made amends in my opinion by showing how they themselves were duped, and confronted the P.O.S. with cameras rolling. Perhaps you are right though, if the TV goofs weren't so overzealous for "filler" sometimes, this scenario perhaps would have never played out? I think it boils down to that the guy lied and the TV goofs didn't have the time to rundown a background on the guy, thus, you get bad reporting and eggnog on your face.

Well, I see, and am glad, that after reading through your reply, you finally came to the conclusion that I was right. lol.

The world is full of cheats and liars, and the TV station made an @$$ of itself.

CyKat, who doesn't think too highly of reporters, most of the time.

• The title was changed to The "santa" Featured On ABC13 Was A Scammer

Archived