Katy Tigers!

Trae

SAN ANTONIO — The Katy Tigers got tested on Saturday, and they passed.

In fact they got an A-plus.

Katy struggled early against San Antonio Madison, but the Tigers found their way and went on to beat the Mavericks 66-21 to advance to the 5A Division II state title game.

"That was the best defense we have seen all year," Katy quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell said. "They really gave it to us in the first half, but we have the kind of coaches who can make adjustments. We made them and got the job done."

The Tigers will make the return trip to the Alamodome next Saturday at 7 p.m. to play Pflugerville, a 20-14 overtime winner over Abilene, in the 5A Division II state championship.

After Katy went up 7-0 early in the first, the Madison defense struck. Defensive back Andrew Green picked off a Katy pass and returned it 82 yards for a touchdown.

Katy scored again on a 26-yard catch by Terrence Avie, but Madison came right back, tying the game again, when Brendan Skipworth caught a 22-yard pass from Bryan Ehrlich.

In that first quarter, the Tigers went three-and-out on three straight drives.

"After I threw that interception, it was obvious they had momentum and were fired up and we struggled getting our offense going," Mitchell said.

A big part of that was the fact that the Tigers' running game was pretty much non-existent. Aundre Dean had just 19 yards midway through the second quarter and if Katy's defense hadn't been solid from the start, the score might have been much different.

"I wasn't really frustrated," Dean said. "Our defense was great and (Mitchell) had made some good plays. I knew eventually the holes would open up."

With just under four minutes left until halftime, they certainly did. Avie had another stellar catch, for 30 yards, on a fourth-and-5, to put Katy on the Madison five yard line.

On the ensuing play, Dean took the ball in five yards for the score to put Katy up 21-14.

The Tigers never looked back. They took the momentum with them into halftime since Mitchell found Joey Fuda for 54 yards and a touchdown with 11 seconds left until the break. At the half, Katy led 28-14

---

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/hssp...on_vs_katy.html

it's Pflugerville...and unfortunately my dad's going to be stuck at the game not knowing who to cheer for, we live in katy, but his fiance's daughter goes to PHS :P I'm sure he'll be rooting for Pflugerville if he knows what's best!

Congratulations to the State champion Katy Tigers..... What an awesome game.....

It's a party in SA. The Katy Tigers destroyed Pflugerville 28-7. Bo ad a crazy ass pass to end the half. Tossed it into the endzone, Joey (Fuda) then tipped it back into Brian's hands. That tied it 7-7 and Katy never looked back.

It's a party in SA. The Katy Tigers destroyed Pflugerville 28-7. Bo ad a crazy ass pass to end the half. Tossed it into the endzone, Joey (Fuda) then tipped it back into Brian's hands. That tied it 7-7 and Katy never looked back.

Yeah, a nice lucky play, but they were the better team, so props to them.

• 3 months later...

Archived