Multi-family focused development companies

Well, I'm looking for a job.

Some of you may know that I have no experience in real estate development, but it's something I really like and want to get into. If or when I get into this field, my ultimate goal is to become a developer myself.

What I mostly like are multi-family mid-rise type developments and especially mixed use developments. What companies do you think are the best at doing this?

I was also wondering if any of you had some contacts that maybe I could call, have an informational interview with, or get contacts from.

I'm willing to do some sort of apprenticeship and learn the business from the ground up. I'm educated, have a lot of energy and I'm hungry to learn about the industry.

If anyone can help in any way, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

A good start would be to get your Texas Real Estate License if you don't already have one. I took classes to obtain my Broker's License at the University of Houston, Downtown and enjoyed every minute of it. The instructors really covered everything regarding the Houston area and the history of development of various tracts in the city and burbs. You will learn a lot in a very short period of time and then you will have a background that you can take to an employer to show that your interest is sincere.

A good start would be to get your Texas Real Estate License if you don't already have one. I took classes to obtain my Broker's License at the University of Houston, Downtown and enjoyed every minute of it. The instructors really covered everything regarding the Houston area and the history of development of various tracts in the city and burbs. You will learn a lot in a very short period of time and then you will have a background that you can take to an employer to show that your interest is sincere.

Yes and no. If you're trying to get into management or something like that, a real estate license might demonstrate eagerness. But...it also carries with it various legal/ethical obligations.

For education that dovetails nicely for a developer/builder, I'd suggest looking at the ULI development and finance programs.

Archived