Apartment Recommendations/Safety Of Midtown Area

npn

Hi all,

New to this forum and relocating to Houston soon to work downtown. Midtown area sounds interesting and would be relatively easy commute. Looking to spend about $1200-1300 a month/1 bedroom is fine. Wondering if people familiar with the area have any recommendations based on this for a male in upper 20's. Ventana, Post Midtown, Calais, something else? Also, what are opinions regarding overall safety of the area? Would something a little further west such as Bayou on the Bend be a lot safer? Are car break-ins the primary concern or is there more serious crime?

Thanks for any input!

Hi all,

New to this forum and relocating to Houston soon to work downtown. Midtown area sounds interesting and would be relatively easy commute. Looking to spend about $1200-1300 a month/1 bedroom is fine. Wondering if people familiar with the area have any recommendations based on this for a male in upper 20's. Ventana, Post Midtown, Calais, something else? Also, what are opinions regarding overall safety of the area? Would something a little further west such as Bayou on the Bend be a lot safer? Are car break-ins the primary concern or is there more serious crime?

Thanks for any input!

I've lived in midtown for about 4.5 years after relocating here. I lived in the Camden for 3 years and absolutely no problems (i.e. breakins, etc.) CSOM gal had problems with 2 car break-ins in Uptown Dallas during the same time I lived in the Camden, FWIW... I now own on the east side of midtown and I still haven't had any problems.

There are some minor crime problems I hear about in the neighborhoods to cars, homes, apts, but no more than any other major city I've been in. You will read about crime on some streets in the center of midtown, but there's no residential there, and no real reason to be out walking through those areas.

I don't see that price range being a problem, so good luck!

PM me if you want anymore detail.

I've lived in midtown for about 4.5 years after relocating here. I lived in the Camden for 3 years and absolutely no problems (i.e. breakins, etc.) CSOM gal had problems with 2 car break-ins in Uptown Dallas during the same time I lived in the Camden, FWIW... I now own on the east side of midtown and I still haven't had any problems.

Not to try to turn this in to something, but why was it necessary to bring up crimes in Dallas when recommending a place in Houston?

I think the Camden is very nice (some friends have lived there). Although, I have lived in the Uptown Dallas area for several years without incident but I have friends who have been robbed in inner-loop Houston - that does not make my place any safer or more dangerous,

All of that aside, the Camden is a good recommendation

Not to try to turn this in to something, but why was it necessary to bring up crimes in Dallas when recommending a place in Houston?

I think the Camden is very nice (some friends have lived there). Although, I have lived in the Uptown Dallas area for several years without incident but I have friends who have been robbed in inner-loop Houston - that does not make my place any safer or more dangerous,

All of that aside, the Camden is a good recommendation

He asked about break-ins and other crime in the area... I was using it as a comparison. I can throw out the fact that my apartment complex in South Minneapolis had warnings weekly because of another break-in, but it's not the same type of neighborhood. I was simply stating what our reality had been in these types of areas, which is to say there is some minor crime, you may be a victim, you may not... move along.

The neighborhood around Ventana seems a bit suboptimal, and a friend of mine who lived at Calais said there had been numerous problems. If you want to live in Midtown you might be better off in one of the large complexes around Gray and Bagby. I don't know your budget, but another option to consider is the Bel Air on Allen Parkway. It looks nice and it is a great location.

I'm at 2222 Smith and it's a good place. We had issues with car break-ins about a year and a half ago, it's been fine since then. Probably the best location for walking to places in Midtown.

Thanks for the recommendations...I'll definitely take a look at Camden Midtown and 2222 Smith when I get down there.

• The title was changed to Apartment Recommendations/Safety Of Midtown Area

Archived