Klein ISD Enforcing Attedance Aones

tcklme

We are a KISD homeowner and taxpayer. We chose to move specifically to the Klein Collins attendance zone when it came time for my children to begin high school.

This is our fourth year, and the body of students has continued to increase drastically! My kids are constantly complaining of not being able to get food at lunch (lines too long), school bus is way too crowded, and the crowding in-between classes.

Personally we are aware of numerous students that have lied and/or faked paperwork to get registered to attend KCHS. My question is: what are school districts doing to enforce, or investigate this problem? Do they really care if a student is attending their school illegally? I realize they don't have the manpower to check out every student, but some type of safeguard has got to be in place. I know of a student faking a utility bill -- all while living in the Klein Forest zone, or another student completed a lease document with their friend that lived in the KC zone -- all while living in Spring ISD.

I understand that they want to attend KCHS for all the same reasons that we moved here. It would've been better for our family to stay in the home we moved from (in Spring ISD, Westfield HS), but we did the right thing, and it's very disheartening and frustrating when others totally lie and cheat to be there. I ask, why have attendance zones, if they're not enforced?

Tckl: You should also suggest to KISD that it should create a magnet program at Klein Collins to allow some students from outside of the KC zone to attend KC. KC should hire an admissions counselor that will determine who gets to enter KC from outside of the attendance boundary.

The State of Texas permits transferring from one district to another. All one needs to do is sign an affidavit stating that you reside somewhere other than with your parents 24/7. The district receives the alloted state funds and the presumed school tax money from the house where the student now lives. Several years ago it was discussed at a board meeting. At that time I was aware of 3-5 hundred affidavit students at Forest from others districts. Dr. Cain stated that they did not check. The next morning, I called Cy Fair to inquire if they checked. I was told they indeed did as there was a big problem at Jersey Village H S. To my knowledge the only checking regarding residency was in relation to the elected at Kleb future Klein cheerleaders who were kicked off the squad because they lived in the Forest zone. One lived in Forest zone, the others mom lived in Forest, but the dad lived a few blocks form Klein.

"The demographic study of the Klein ISD includes three projection series representing the lowest feasible growth condition, the "most-likely" growth pattern, and the highest feasible growth pattern. The lowest projection assumes the district's total population growth will be a 3.50 percent for the next five years and 2.27 percent per year for the last half of the decade. The highest projection assumes the district's total population growth will be a 5.14 percent increase in students per year until 2011. The last half of the decade would show a 3.76 percent increase on average. The "most-likely" growth projection shows average annual increases at 4.31 percent for the first five years and 3.46 percent over the next five years.

This "most-likely' scenario represents a conservative use of the data gathered. The "most-likely" scenario indicates that the district's enrollment in 2016 will be 60,919 compared to the 2007 enrollment of 43,306.

Long-range planning for new facilities considers the capacity of each facility compared to the enrollment projections for that facility. According to the demographic data, the district will need to open ten elementary schools, three intermediate schools and two high schools within the next ten years."

Got this just now from Klein ISD.

If what crone is saying is true, then the PASA report's projections are based upon false data, and therefore, the potential growth pattern in the district may be something entirely different.

Crone, when you write that the State of Texas permits transferring from one district to another, what are the requirements that have to be met? I don't think it's really as easy as you say, because the folks living in Northgate would like to transfer into Klein from Spring and were not allowed to do so. I'm thinking there are more stringent requirements than just signing a paper. Plus, could 300-500 Klein Forest students really be at Cy-Fair schools claiming that that live somewhere else and no one in administration sees a red flag?

Each of the 4 High Schools in Klein ISD opened with atleast 3,000 students this year. Yes, Klein Collins has seen tremendous growth. It is actually kind of rediculous sometimes being in a school with almost 3,400 students. KCHS was projected to open with 3,246 but opened with way more than 3,300. This could be a rumor but there was speculation going around that there were about 1,000 freshman alone. The school has a total of 14 T-Buildings this year. Another thing that fustrated many students this year was lockers. There isn't enough lockers for everyone in the school, so there is a $6.00 charge for lockers this year. Not one student was issued a locker this year. Most students just carry backpacks from class to class, not to mention numerous books due to the lack of class sets. Lunch lines are most of the time crowded from bell to bell. Administration was supposed to add a 4th lunch this year, don't know what happened. It has gotten worst. Most kids don't even socialize in the halls anymore due to the over populated student body.

It depends on what you define as "illegal". We live in Spring ISD and know a few families who rent apartments or houses in Klein ISD so that they'll have a legal address to reigster their kids under to go to school in that district. I don't think they're doing anything really wrong; the law says anyone can attend a public school in a district where they own or rent some kind of real estate, and that's precisely what those people are doing. There was nothig stopping your family from doing the same if moving was such a hassle for you. What does bother me is the people who use a relative/friend's address in another district to go to school there. Because then they aren't even contributing anything to the district in terms of property taxes, utility district taxes, etc.

Creek: In New York City the school defines the zoned schools by the child's primary residence.

http://insideschools.org/st/ST_start.php

"If a parent and child live with another family or relative and do not have a lease in their own name, they may request that the leaseholder write a letter stating that they live in that apartment. The school officials may check to see if the child actually lives at the given address – and may make a home visit to see if the child has clothes and toys at that address.

A child who is not residing with the custodial parent may be excluded from the school zoned for the area where she does live. If, for example, a student lives with her grandmother, but her father (who lives at another address) is still her parent -- meaning he is responsible for his daughter's welfare -- then his daughter does not have a right to attend the school in her grandmother's zone. Only if her father had abandoned her or was for some reason incapable of taking care of his daughter, would the grandmother's residence be the girl's residence and the place that determined her school zone. This policy was largely devised as a way to make sure that families were not letting their children move in with relatives as a way to take advantage of better schools in that zone."

Edited by VicMan

Many of us take Section 25 of the Texas Education code seriously. We are also law abiding, ethical people. Some of us are not. See tcklme's 1st entry. Some districts check, some don't. One would need to follow every kid, every day. You could live in one attendence zone and work in another and give the school your office address. One could live in Spring buy a very cheap lot in Oak attendance zone. Tell the district that you are building. You are a property owner in the district. It's cheaper than tuition at Northland. Will the KISD person who counts cars in driveways ever verify a house is built?I wonder why we even have attendance zones and shool districts, given the court ruling in Robertson County a few years ago. If district B can send busses to pick up kids in district A what's the point of having a school district?NYC has open enrollment for HS kids.

"The demographic study of the Klein ISD includes three projection series representing the lowest feasible growth condition, the "most-likely" growth pattern, and the highest feasible growth pattern. The lowest projection assumes the district's total population growth will be a 3.50 percent for the next five years and 2.27 percent per year for the last half of the decade. The highest projection assumes the district's total population growth will be a 5.14 percent increase in students per year until 2011. The last half of the decade would show a 3.76 percent increase on average. The "most-likely" growth projection shows average annual increases at 4.31 percent for the first five years and 3.46 percent over the next five years.This "most-likely' scenario represents a conservative use of the data gathered. The "most-likely" scenario indicates that the district's enrollment in 2016 will be 60,919 compared to the 2007 enrollment of 43,306.Long-range planning for new facilities considers the capacity of each facility compared to the enrollment projections for that facility. According to the demographic data, the district will need to open ten elementary schools, three intermediate schools and two high schools within the next ten years."Got this just now from Klein ISD.If what crone is saying is true, then the PASA report's projections are based upon false data, and therefore, the potential growth pattern in the district may be something entirely different. Crone, when you write that the State of Texas permits transferring from one district to another, what are the requirements that have to be met? I don't think it's really as easy as you say, because the folks living in Northgate would like to transfer into Klein from Spring and were not allowed to do so. I'm thinking there are more stringent requirements than just signing a paper. Plus, could 300-500 Klein Forest students really be at Cy-Fair schools claiming that that live somewhere else and no one in administration sees a red flag?

Good points, all. I'm going to be at the next board meeting and will ask about this issue. I do wonder what the ramifications will be, if any, to the district's projections based upon the PASA report findings. Would this change anything, in the boardmember's minds?

Also, regarding high school number five:

Didn't someone on the board here mention that land had been bought and paid for this project? Has there been any clearing/any progress on this project? I heard contradictory statements from someone in administration who said that the land had not been bought and that no site had been picked out and that building was still five years away.

Also, I'm hearing rumors that Klein ISD is shopping for land for a new stadium complex. I had been told that the land directly adjacent to Krimmel was slated to become the next new stadium, but since the Grand Parkway wanted to build their route there, that Klein was going to sell them that land and shop elsewhere for land.

I don't understand why Klein ISD doesn't just start building their stadium on that land and force the Grand Parkway to go elsewhere. Last I heard, there still is no funding mechanism in place to build out Segment F-2 of the Grand Parkway anyway.

Creek: In New York City the school defines the zoned schools by the child's primary residence.

http://insideschools.org/st/ST_start.php

"If a parent and child live with another family or relative and do not have a lease in their own name, they may request that the leaseholder write a letter stating that they live in that apartment. The school officials may check to see if the child actually lives at the given address

so you are against this practice but see nothing wrong for busing children across town to attend a school not in their zoned school area?

i believe deer park allows any child to attend a school in their district as long as they have their own transportation.

No, I just pointed out that New York does things differently. I don't mind if a parent rents an apartment in another zone to send his or her child to the school in that zone.

Edited by VicMan

"All Klein ISD parents are invited to a dinner with the superintendent on October 11 at Wunderlich Intermediate School.

The free pizza and salad dinner will begin at 6:30 p.m.

Following dinner, Dr. Jim Cain, the superintendent of the Klein ISD, will provide a district informational up-date and conduct a question and answer session. No childcare is provided.

Parents will enjoy musical selections by the Klein Forest Jazz Combo and a presentation by the Klein Oak Reader's Theater. Both of these groups reflect the high quality of the KISD fine arts program.

To reserve your seat, call 832-249-4173 by October 4."

(This would be an excellent event to attend if you'd like to question Dr. Cain about attendance zones or anything else. These events are typically poorly attended and even then, mainly by administrative personnel. See you there?)

Good points, all. I'm going to be at the next board meeting and will ask about this issue. I do wonder what the ramifications will be, if any, to the district's projections based upon the PASA report findings. Would this change anything, in the boardmember's minds?

Also, regarding high school number five:

Didn't someone on the board here mention that land had been bought and paid for this project? Has there been any clearing/any progress on this project? I heard contradictory statements from someone in administration who said that the land had not been bought and that no site had been picked out and that building was still five years away.

Also, I'm hearing rumors that Klein ISD is shopping for land for a new stadium complex. I had been told that the land directly adjacent to Krimmel was slated to become the next new stadium, but since the Grand Parkway wanted to build their route there, that Klein was going to sell them that land and shop elsewhere for land.

I don't understand why Klein ISD doesn't just start building their stadium on that land and force the Grand Parkway to go elsewhere. Last I heard, there still is no funding mechanism in place to build out Segment F-2 of the Grand Parkway anyway.

High School #5 will be located on Spring Cypress Road east of SH249. Klein ISD purchased this land nearly a year ago or more. It was the 124 acres for a High School and Intermediate School. Also the Board of Trustees aprroved the process of hiring a district architect and planning company in the August or September Meetings. The architectural renderings and design for HS #5 are being drawn up as I speak. The land next to Krimmel is owned by a Church that is projected to go up.

Chris, how should I submit a suggestion for the name of HS #5?

I would prefer one of the following:

* Klein Kohrville, after the community "Kohrville"

* Klein Kohrmann or Klein Paul Kohrmann, after the German postmaster

Edited by VicMan

• 1 month later...

I'd like to follow-up to my original post. A letter was created and sent to KCHS Principal, Randy Kirk; KCHS Registrar; and to the KISD Superintendent's office. I sent these letters anonymously, which probably took all creditability away, but I mentioned student's names and all particulars of how they lied to get enrolled at KCHS.

As of last week, the one student is still attending, and absolutely nothing has changed.

So, again I ask, do school districts even care if a student is attending their school illegally? And the answer seems to be ... No, not at all.

I guess there are different rules for different people.

I'd like to follow-up to my original post. A letter was created and sent to KCHS Principal, Randy Kirk; KCHS Registrar; and to the KISD Superintendent's office. I sent these letters anonymously, which probably took all creditability away, but I mentioned student's names and all particulars of how they lied to get enrolled at KCHS.

As of last week, the one student is still attending, and absolutely nothing has changed.

So, again I ask, do school districts even care if a student is attending their school illegally? And the answer seems to be ... No, not at all.

I guess there are different rules for different people.

Lack of ability to address issues..... This is the main reason I yanked my kid out of KISD and put her in private school.

Most of the kids in my family go to KISD schools, and they have no issues, for the most part. However, I have found that many times, when a problem comes up (with staff, administration, etc.) they just lack the ability to face it and find a solution. When we had a serious issue with a teacher a few years ago, the problem took 3 months to be taken care of, and this was only after I contacted the superintendent and threatened legal action if he didn't respond.

My niece attends KOHS. She was there around the time of the Collins opening, and told me how nice it was to have a school that was not overcrowded. It was also funny because they were 4A and played all of the "country" schools, as she called them. Now in just a few years, KOHS is also overcrowded. She complains often of long lunch lines, busy halls, and other general issues.

With all of the land being developed (or about to be developed) for residential use, KISD really needs to get with the program and build that other high school FAST! The stadium seems like a secondary issue, but after attending a few Thursday night or Saturday afternoon football games this year, they need to figure that situation out quick too! Otherwise, they'll be playing games on Wednesday or Sunday once the new school opens.

Like I said before, I've pulled my child out of KISD and placed her in private school. I know this opens up an entirely different debate (public vs. private), but frankly, I know I can sit down with her principal any time I need to.

Thanks for that, Chris.

And, yeah, I knew about the church going up next to Krimmel, but I heard that Klein ISD owned land directly behind Krimmel that would have been the site of the new stadium.

You will be sad to know that the land behind Krimmel is owned by Klein but 8-15 acres of the NW corner of the Klein land is being taken by the Grnad Parkway for their glorius road. Not to mention the neighborhood next door to Krimmel is selling homes to non suspecting buyers. Those homes are going to be taken and torn down if the road goes through. If you call their sales office they deny it and will tell you the GP is only propsed and nothing is certian.

You will be sad to know that the land behind Krimmel is owned by Klein but 8-15 acres of the NW corner of the Klein land is being taken by the Grnad Parkway for their glorius road. Not to mention the neighborhood next door to Krimmel is selling homes to non suspecting buyers. Those homes are going to be taken and torn down if the road goes through. If you call their sales office they deny it and will tell you the GP is only propsed and nothing is certian.

That is a terrible thing to imagine. What a shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sent by Klein ISD this morning:

"Currently the Bond Steering Committee is considering the needs for a new high school in the future (#5).

In addition, concerns for needed renovations at Klein High School, the oldest high school built in 1963 has been a topic of discussion at the first meetings.

The committee of 110 community members, staff and business representatives were offered the opportunity to tour Klein High School for the purpose of observing the current facilities on November 6. The multiple building complex was built in various stages but according to outside experts, is in need of major rebuild.

On Monday, November 12, Klein ISD will host a Pass and Review Ceremony at Klein Memorial Stadium to honor our veterans and servicemen and women. The event will begin at 9:00 a.m. and last until 10:30 a.m.

If you would like to tour Klein High School at 10:30 a.m. while at the site, please meet in the cafeteria. Ms. Kathy Brown, an assistant principal, will provide the 30 minute tour.

There will be other opportunities to tour the building and learn more about the committee's considerations. The bond proposal will be finalized in February and presented to the Board of Trustees as committee work progresses. A final plan will be presented to the Board of Trustees in March for their consideration as an agenda item.

Just sent by Klein ISD this morning:

"Currently the Bond Steering Committee is considering the needs for a new high school in the future (#5).

In addition, concerns for needed renovations at Klein High School, the oldest high school built in 1963 has been a topic of discussion at the first meetings.

The committee of 110 community members, staff and business representatives were offered the opportunity to tour Klein High School for the purpose of observing the current facilities on November 6. The multiple building complex was built in various stages but according to outside experts, is in need of major rebuild.

On Monday, November 12, Klein ISD will host a Pass and Review Ceremony at Klein Memorial Stadium to honor our veterans and servicemen and women. The event will begin at 9:00 a.m. and last until 10:30 a.m.

If you would like to tour Klein High School at 10:30 a.m. while at the site, please meet in the cafeteria. Ms. Kathy Brown, an assistant principal, will provide the 30 minute tour.

There will be other opportunities to tour the building and learn more about the committee's considerations. The bond proposal will be finalized in February and presented to the Board of Trustees as committee work progresses. A final plan will be presented to the Board of Trustees in March for their consideration as an agenda item.

This issue will make or break the bond for Klein. The opinion of the district is that they will build HS #5 and open it with the name Klein HS and have all the kids in Klein attend this school while they are building the new Klein HS at roughly $100,000,000. All the while the neighborhoods like Gleannloch and Memorial Springs which are across the street form HS #5 will still be going to KO which is on the other side of the District. Great for Klein High people, but for the rest of those who are waiting to go to a new HS will just have to wait so KISD can take care of it's baby. After the 2 or 3 years it takes to build the new KHS then these neighborhoods can attend the new HS#5. This is not a well thought out plan imo.

Wow, is that really the plan of the school board? Maybe Jerry Courtney stepped off just in time!

What "consulting experts" came up with this idea? PASA, again? Unbelievable!

I'm glad my kids go to Northampton, Hildebrandt and Klein Oak even more now. All our schools are within the Northampton neighborhood, and although they might be getting old too, they're still within walking distance.

I'll see some of the board members at the big play-off game Saturday at Moorhead Stadium in Conroe, when the Klein Oak Panthers (9-1) take on the College Park Cavaliers (9-1). Are you going to be there as well, ENGcons?

Wow, is that really the plan of the school board? Maybe Jerry Courtney stepped off just in time!

What "consulting experts" came up with this idea? PASA, again? Unbelievable!

I'm glad my kids go to Northampton, Hildebrandt and Klein Oak even more now. All our schools are within the Northampton neighborhood, and although they might be getting old too, they're still within walking distance.

I'll see some of the board members at the big play-off game Saturday at Moorhead Stadium in Conroe, when the Klein Oak Panthers (9-1) take on the College Park Cavaliers (9-1). Are you going to be there as well, ENGcons?

I agree 100%. Why build a brand new high school for a new group of students who don't get to use it until it's 2 years old because another group of students is using it. If Klein ISD want's to rebuild Klein High School, then they need to do like they always do to solve a problem and just put 150-300 T-Buildings out behind Klein High School near the Annex for Klein High School students. I don't think it is fair for them to take advantage of someone elses new school. Plus, Klein ISD really needs this High Schooo #5. If Klein Collins recieves another 100-150 kids next year, it will not be good. I just have 2 questions.

1. I also want to know who's idea this was because it's not a good one.

2. When the bond passes, When wiill construction begin on HS #5?

I remember hearing Dr. Jim Cain, the Klein ISD Superintendent, say that when construction started on High School #5, that construction would start simultaneously on Stadium #2, as the current stadium would be woefully inadequate to service the needs of five high schools.

I remember hearing Dr. Jim Cain, the Klein ISD Superintendent, say that when construction started on High School #5, that construction would start simultaneously on Stadium #2, as the current stadium would be woefully inadequate to service the needs of five high schools.

According to the 2008 Findings and Directions plan, When HS #6 is built, a new stadium will be built on that same property adjacent to the school. The location for HS #6 is at the intersection of Huffsmith Korhville and FM 2920.

I will be there. And as my favorite saying of the week goes.... OAK 'EM! It's hilarious yelling that at a game. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We are a KISD homeowner and taxpayer. We chose to move specifically to the Klein Collins attendance zone when it came time for my children to begin high school.

This is our fourth year, and the body of students has continued to increase drastically! My kids are constantly complaining of not being able to get food at lunch (lines too long), school bus is way too crowded, and the crowding in-between classes.

Personally we are aware of numerous students that have lied and/or faked paperwork to get registered to attend KCHS. My question is: what are school districts doing to enforce, or investigate this problem? Do they really care if a student is attending their school illegally? I realize they don't have the manpower to check out every student, but some type of safeguard has got to be in place. I know of a student faking a utility bill -- all while living in the Klein Forest zone, or another student completed a lease document with their friend that lived in the KC zone -- all while living in Spring ISD.

I understand that they want to attend KCHS for all the same reasons that we moved here. It would've been better for our family to stay in the home we moved from (in Spring ISD, Westfield HS), but we did the right thing, and it's very disheartening and frustrating when others totally lie and cheat to be there. I ask, why have attendance zones, if they're not enforced?

We have the same problem at Klein High

• The title was changed to Klein ISD Enforcing Attedance Aones