Any way to find out architect or history

My house is a very different style than all the others in my neighborhood. Just wondering if there's a way to find out the story behind it - some sort of records database with the original plans?. It was built the same time as all the others - late 50s, early 60s.

My house is a very different style than all the others in my neighborhood. Just wondering if there's a way to find out the story behind it - some sort of records database with the original plans?. It was built the same time as all the others - late 50s, early 60s.

Only suggestion I could give you without knowing what subdivision it is in, etc, would be talk to the neighbors, and see what's in the records at HCAD, also if you can figure out exactly when it was built you might be able to find something in the newspaper about it if/when it was listed for sale originally.

What subdivision is it in?

If you know what year it was built, (don't go by HCAD records, they are notorious for being wrong), you can go through the microfilms down at the library for the Sunday real estate sections. They often times have ads, write-ups, etc., that might mention the architect's name, or information on the original owners, etc.

Information is easier to obtain if it was a parade of homes participant. Since there is usually more info in the paper on those houses.

This isn't my house, but it is very similar to this (I found it on HAR). I'll try to get a good picture of mine and post it.

hr1948415-4.jpg

Like this one, mine is flat roofed and flat across the front. However, my house is even more plain than this one - no front windows, the garage door is on the side so it's not visible like these two?, and the front door is only accessible from inside a gated atrium - which is the only interruption in the brick wall front. The gate\opening is about 6 feet wide. There is one other about a mile away that is much more like mine.

This isn't my house, but it is very similar to this (I found it on HAR). I'll try to get a good picture of mine and post it.

hr1948415-4.jpg

Like this one, mine is flat roofed and flat accross the front. However, my house is even more plain than this one - no front windows, the garage door is on the side so it's not visible like these two?, and the front door is only accesible from inside a gated atrium - which is the only interuption in the brick wall front. The gate\opening is about 6 feet wide. There is one other about a mile away that is much more like mine.

Westbury is the subdivision. It was built in 1960.

The house in the picture I know. That one was part of the Parade of Homes in 1959 and was the "Prize home" for the parade program. From there west to the end of Warm Springs were all the parade houses. If it is on that block, then it would be a whole lot easier to find out the history.

Archived