Columbus, Texas Photos

Boris

Stopped by and ate some great pizza in DT Columbus. Here are some photos I took while I walked around the courthouse and some side streets:

Austin7-07143.jpg

Austin7-07144.jpg

Austin7-07146.jpg

Courthouse:

Austin7-07150.jpg

Austin7-07147.jpg

Austin7-07149.jpg

Austin7-07148.jpg

Austin7-07152.jpg

Austin7-07153.jpg

Was told by an oldtimer that this tree in the middle of the road was the first "courthouse tree" before they built the courthouse:

Austin7-07154.jpg

Austin7-07155.jpg

Austin7-07156.jpg

Austin7-07157.jpg

Austin7-07158.jpg

Austin7-07159.jpg

Austin7-07160.jpg

Austin7-07161.jpg

Austin7-07163.jpg

Austin7-07164.jpg

Same oldtimer told me that this was a firestation built by some confederate soldiers after the war and it is now a confederate war museum:

Austin7-07165.jpg

Excellent photos! Columbus is an underrated little jewel, isn't it. And it's far enough away from Houston that it will probably stay that way, for the most part, though it will probably get more touristy. Towns closer to Houston out that way though, such as Bellville and Sealy, are in danger of being swallowed up!

Excellent photos! Columbus is an underrated little jewel, isn't it. And it's far enough away from Houston that it will probably stay that way, for the most part, though it will probably get more touristy. Towns closer to Houston out that way though, such as Bellville and Sealy, are in danger of being swallowed up!

As a property owner in Belleville i can tell you that it's allready been "swallowed up". It's still a marvelous town, but the working cattle ranches have just about dissapeared.

Sorry to hijack the thread Boris... Great shots of one of my favorite texas towns.

Boris, looks like you've been running up old Highway 90! Thanks for the photos, they are excellent.

Have you (any of you) taken that old portion of the original highway just outside Columbus off I-10 that cuts off the feeder road and then rejoins near the old bridge over the river? If not, you should.

Boris, looks like you've been running up old Highway 90! Thanks for the photos, they are excellent.

Have you (any of you) taken that old portion of the original highway just outside Columbus off I-10 that cuts off the feeder road and then rejoins near the old bridge over the river? If not, you should.

I have, and not only is it one of the landmarks along I-10 near the city, but on the bridge is an electronic sign which gives you the river's levels. It's a nice old road which leads into downtown right off the square. Pretty cool to check out on a weekday when everyone's around.

• 4 weeks later...
I love Columbus. My grandmother lived there. It is such a gem and so close to Houston. We love eating at Schoebel's when we go out that way.

i ate at Schoebel's. i dated a guy from columbus. I think his family owns a muffler shop. Its a great little town!

Archived