installing my own ac

So after recieving quotes of 5000.00 to install a 1300.oo ac, I have decided to do it myself.. everyone that quoted me said they had to pull a permit (city of Hton)..but as a homeowner can I do it myself?? I searched city site, but saw nothing. I mean you can install a window unit, so why would you need one for external (this is a package unit)? Any adivice or anyone know about the "permits", or is just something to do on the weekend and not tell anyone?

If you have enough knowledge in refrigeration, installing your own A/C is definitely something you can secretly do yourself. The hardest part will be getting the air handler, codensing unit, and refrigerant. I know you have to have an HVAC license to purchase refrigerant, and I think this also applies to purchasing the air handler and condensing unit.

well like I said this is a package unit..its all in one, so there is no charging and I know alot about electrical and a/c...the deal now is buy it out of state and its shipped from Houston to you...thats how you get around the license problem..I often bop into a/c stores for parts with work logo and shirt and get whatever I want.

So after recieving quotes of 5000.00 to install a 1300.oo ac, I have decided to do it myself.. everyone that quoted me said they had to pull a permit (city of Hton)..but as a homeowner can I do it myself?? I searched city site, but saw nothing. I mean you can install a window unit, so why would you need one for external (this is a package unit)? Any adivice or anyone know about the "permits", or is just something to do on the weekend and not tell anyone?

They'll want you to get a permit. I will PM you an a/c man who is reasonable, VERY experienced and is HONEST.

Archived