When people designed their own homes

The Times of London has an interesting article about a time when everyone was an architect.

Men were just expected to know how to design a building. Can you imagine if people did that today?

In France, as Harris points out, architectural drawing was a skill taught in academies. In England it seems to have been developed to an impressive extent by amateurs. How much they were self-taught or tutored by drawing masters is an intriguing question.

Interesting article. I've always felt that an introductory course on architecture (one that covers basic styles, famous architects, and hallmarks of good design) should be part of the core curriculum at the university level. If most lay people had a better basic understanding of architecture, the overall quality of buildings would probably improve.

that is an interesting article, but it is so true that many who design themselves create something crazy.

at u of h one of the requirements was to take such a course dan describes where we literally have to describe the type of arch. time period, architect, style, etc. but even w/ that ppl still did crazy designs in studio, lol.

i'll never forget one of my professors tell this one guy (who i think was always high, lol) that anyone can create, design a building that has curves everywhere, funky shapes, etc. but the simple stuff that has meaning to it is difficult to create and perfect, and i have found this philosophy to be true and effective.

• 3 weeks later...
The homes would appear like the varying tastes we see in the Art Car Parade. :wacko:

Well, houses are already more commodified than cars - with cars, at any rate, the expectation is not always that you are going to try to sell it for a profit - so I imagine that true customization would, if anything, make homes less transient within our lives, and more fitting, with an effect greater in its good than the damage of the one you fear.

Well, houses are already more commodified than cars - with cars, at any rate, the expectation is not always that you are going to try to sell it for a profit - so I imagine that true customization would, if anything, make homes less transient within our lives, and more fitting, with an effect greater in its good than the damage of the one you fear.

Well put. I hate the term "starter home," as it seems to perpetuate the innate material dissatisfaction that drives the new home market - "We'll live here for a few years; we don't really like it, but it will do untill we can afford something more impressive." I think many people would be happier with a comfortable house that expresses some unique characteristic about its occupants. This personal expression would give people more pride in their homes, and they would be more hesitant to move as often. Long-term residents who are proud of their homes are a key factor in creating stable neighborhoods.

Archived