Memorial Area Schools

wordgirl

Because when a school with a strong reputation has some open enrollment slots, there will be more applicants than slots. What I meant was that Memorial HS would have an attendance zone, but it would also have a few slots open to out-of-zone people. What would inevitably happen is that more out of zone people would vie for slots than there are slots. In other words, some of the people will have to be turned away. This would mean that there would still be a demand for those cheap apartment complexes. I doubt that property taxes would fall (unless there was a major riot and all of the parents pulled their kids out of SBISD) so long as the individual school's academics remain on par; Bellaire HS (even if it has social issues) has higher property tax values than Westbury HS.

"No one in SBISD wants there kids going to school with the Westchase Apartment District "students.""

In this arrangement, SBISD people could expect their kids to go to school with some Westchase Apartment District students, but they will not encounter Westchase Apartment District "students."

What I mean is that I said that the school would choose to accept or reject whoever it wants for the out-of-district slots (this is the same policy as SBISD's magnet policy). An apartment "student" who gets straight F's, has a record for shoplifting, and has no desire to improve himself would have no chance of getting into, say, Memorial High School. Then again, such a kid would have no interest in applying to MHS (unless his mom somehow makes him, but then he probably would not have had such a rap sheet if his mother had control) and go to his Alief zoned/home school.

SBISD's current, actual policy for Stratford (from what I can tell from the enrollment page) is like this. SBISD chooses who may go out-of-district, and it threatens to expel a student not performing in school.

"Vic, I doubt they will ever let the districts totally merge and/or an application process occur for the basic reason it would KILL property values in SBISD. People move there and pay more to live there for the schools. If anyone could go to a SBISD school from anywhere in there area, what would be the point of moving there? Taxable values would plummit as would educational funding. No one in SBISD wants there kids going to school with the Westchase Apartment District "students."

Edited by VicMan

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Rummel Creek Elem, Memorial MS and then Spring Forest MS after we moved, and finally Stratford. I had many friends whose mothers were SBISD teachers and begged to be transferred to Stratford from Memorial. That school was toxic, in terms of the pressures that the kids and their parents put on each other to keep up with the Joneses. I loved Stratford; it was a microcosm of the real world from top to bottom. I received an excellent education and went on to a very good university, had the opportunity to play in a nationally-recognized symphony orchestra and -- perhaps most importantly -- was exposed to people from all walks of life.

Stratford hasn't changed all that much in the 10 years since I was there, and the few changes have been for the better. I'd recommend it to anyone shopping around for high schools.

Perhaps this is off topic and if so please move, but with the ongoing revitalization of the Inner Loop and reversal of population decline (I'm guessing at that so please correct if I am mistaken), are Inner Loop schools likely to redraw their catchment areas in order to avoid overcrowding and if so by how much? Would it be a case of simply reducing or phasing out magnet programs? Would length of residence in the catchment area become a consideration? Or would new schools be built to accommodate the increased population? Or, are the numbers we're talking about so insignificant as to be unlikely to warrant such measures....?

Thanks to anyone who knows more the inner workings of HISD than me. We bought several years ago to be zoned for Lanier and Lamar.

Perhaps this is off topic and if so please move, but with the ongoing revitalization of the Inner Loop and reversal of population decline (I'm guessing at that so please correct if I am mistaken), are Inner Loop schools likely to redraw their catchment areas in order to avoid overcrowding and if so by how much? Would it be a case of simply reducing or phasing out magnet programs? Would length of residence in the catchment area become a consideration? Or would new schools be built to accommodate the increased population? Or, are the numbers we're talking about so insignificant as to be unlikely to warrant such measures....? Thanks to anyone who knows more the inner workings of HISD than me. We bought several years ago to be zoned for Lanier and Lamar.

HISD doesn't have attendance zones anymore. It uses an open enrollment policy that lets parents send their children to any school that has room for them. You don't have to live inside the loop to send your kids to Lanier and Lamar, but I guess it helps if you want them to ride a school bus or walk to school.

Open enrollment has its upside and downside. Despite its obvious advantages, it's not universally popular. Check out this article in the Houston Chronicle several years ago.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_3900502

Magnet schools are here to stay because they were created in the 70s as part of the district's effort to satisfy federal court desegregation orders. The goal of the magnets was to give parents an incentive to send their children to a particular school regardless of what part of town it's in.

Here's info about magnet schools from an article in the Wikipedia:

"HISD's magnet (Performing Arts, Science, Health Professions, Law Enforcement, etc) high schools are considered a model for other urban school districts as a way to provide a high quality education and keep top performing students in the inner city from fleeing to private schools or exurban school districts. Magnet schools are popular with parents and students that wish to escape low-performing schools and school violence.

There are 55 elementary magnet schools, 30 magnet middle schools, and 27 magnet high schools. Some magnet schools are mixed comprehensive and magnet programs, while others are solidly magnet and do not admit any "neighborhood" students."

Magnets were the precursors of districtwide open enrollment. The thinking behind magnets and open enrollment is that allowing students to attend the school of their choice removes the need for forced busing to achieve racial balance. Generally it has worked well because the federal courts haven't intervened since then, as far as I know. While it is true that many schools are predominantly one race or another, their students are free to go to any other school they choose.

Edited by FilioScotia

Actually HISD still has attendance zones, but it ALSO has a choice system in place.

HISD doesn't have attendance zones anymore. It uses an open enrollment policy that lets parents send their children to any school that has room for them. You don't have to live inside the loop to send your kids to Lanier and Lamar, but I guess it helps if you want them to ride a school bus or walk to school.

Open enrollment has its upside and downside. Despite its obvious advantages, it's not universally popular. Check out this article in the Houston Chronicle several years ago.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_3900502

Magnet schools are here to stay because they were created in the 70s as part of the district's effort to satisfy federal court desegregation orders. The goal of the magnets was to give parents an incentive to send their children to a particular school regardless of what part of town it's in.

Here's info about magnet schools from an article in the Wikipedia:

"HISD's magnet (Performing Arts, Science, Health Professions, Law Enforcement, etc) high schools are considered a model for other urban school districts as a way to provide a high quality education and keep top performing students in the inner city from fleeing to private schools or exurban school districts. Magnet schools are popular with parents and students that wish to escape low-performing schools and school violence.

There are 55 elementary magnet schools, 30 magnet middle schools, and 27 magnet high schools. Some magnet schools are mixed comprehensive and magnet programs, while others are solidly magnet and do not admit any "neighborhood" students."

Magnets were the precursors of districtwide open enrollment. The thinking behind magnets and open enrollment is that allowing students to attend the school of their choice removes the need for forced busing to achieve racial balance. Generally it has worked well because the federal courts haven't intervened since then, as far as I know. While it is true that many schools are predominantly one race or another, their students are free to go to any other school they choose.

yes, zones are still in place. from the hisd website:

What School Should My Child Attend?

Student Transfer: 713-556-6734

School Attendance Zones

Most schools have specifically defined attendance zones that include residential areas that each school serves. On the basis of a student's home address, HISD assigns each student to a "feeder pattern" composed of a specific elementary, middle, and high school.

To determine which schools serve your residence, use the online "School Zone Search Tool" or call the Student Transfer Department at 713-556-6734 or the HISD Information Center at 713-556-6005.

School Boundary Maps

To view individual school boundary maps, go to the School Information tool. Type in part of the name of the school in the "Search by Name" field and click "Submit." All schools have an "Attendance Boundary Map" link. If you need more help searching for schools, click on the "?" in the School Locator.

Transfers

Parents may also apply to a school other than the "zoned" campus for other types of transfers, such as Magnet/Vanguard, special transfers for courses or programs, impassable geographic barriers, majority-to-minority, space-available, out-of-district, violent-crime victim, unsafe school, adequate yearly progress, and public education grant. Out-of-district transfers may be available on a "space available" and tuition basis for students residing outside HISD. All out-of-district transfers, including Vanguard and HISD charter-school and contract programs, require the approval of the principal and superintendent of schools.

Other Options

In the interest of ensuring the widest possible range of choices in education, HISD also offers parents the option of sending their child to a school other than the "home" or "zoned" campus, provided that the school of choice has sufficient space available to accept additional students. When the school of choice accepts a student from outside its attendance zone, HISD requires that the parents agree to keep the student at the chosen school for the entire school year, and parents must assume responsibility for the student's transportation.

For information about available space, the application process, and eligibility for transfers, call the school in which you are interested or the Student Transfer Department at 713-556-6734.

• 1 month later...

My children went to Valley Oaks, SBMS and Memorial. We live on the north side of the freeway in a neighborhood that adjoins Spring Valley, it is in the city of Houston. I have a freshman at LSU, a freshman at memorial and a 7th grader at SBMS. We don't make a lot of money and the kids were never treated differently and they got a great education. There is some snobbiness there as there is in any school. For the most part it wasn't/isn't an issue. The kids mostly hang out with the kids in the activities that they do, my son played football he hung out with the football kids, the girls are in orchestra and they hang out with the band/orchestra kids.

The only issue at Memorial for us was with the top 10% rule. My son grauduated with a 6.5 GPA and was in the second quarter of his class.

My children went to Valley Oaks, SBMS and Memorial. We live on the north side of the freeway in a neighborhood that adjoins Spring Valley, it is in the city of Houston. I have a freshman at LSU, a freshman at memorial and a 7th grader at SBMS. We don't make a lot of money and the kids were never treated differently and they got a great education. There is some snobbiness there as there is in any school. For the most part it wasn't/isn't an issue. The kids mostly hang out with the kids in the activities that they do, my son played football he hung out with the football kids, the girls are in orchestra and they hang out with the band/orchestra kids.

The only issue at Memorial for us was with the top 10% rule. My son grauduated with a 6.5 GPA and was in the second quarter of his class.

I agree this is the issue in the Memorial area schools. You have kids from very smart and successful families, that are very into helping and being available to their kids. Most of the mom's are stay at home. The end result is a lot of kids making great grades and have good extracurricular activities. Getting that top 10% for UT is difficult. But who says you have to go to UT? With the education you are getting there one can go anywhere in the country. I hope my guys want to go to UVA or Duke and even Clemson. I think getting a little more broad experience will be good for them, because I know they will always be Texans and most likely Houstonians. We may join the public system when HS comes around. It just depends where they are in life.

I don't think the schools are snobby, but they are proud of what they have created, and many are proud of the sacrifices they make to get into the district. But if you really want to look at that as snobby, so be it and then its not for you.

Edited by KatieDidIt

How does SBISD let HISD kids attend?

Its really quite easy to understand. SBISD sends a TON of money away do to Robin Hood. If a school has space available then students in-district can transfer there first. If there is still space available, (like at Stratford) then they consider out-of-district students, hence HISD students. However, they have to meet admission criteria, and if there is any academic or attendance issues, the transfer is revoked pretty swiftly. Anyway, through this method, SBISD can keep more of its tax dollars and send less away to other districts via Robin Hood.

Some other schools in SBISD are open to this-but of course the really good ones are closed to in-district and out-of-district transfers.

I agree this is the issue in the Memorial area schools. You have kids from very smart and successful families, that are very into helping and being available to their kids. Most of the mom's are stay at home. The end result is a lot of kids making great grades and have good extracurricular activities. Getting that top 10% for UT is difficult. But who says you have to go to UT? With the education you are getting there one can go anywhere in the country. I hope my guys want to go to UVA or Duke and even Clemson. I think getting a little more broad experience will be good for them, because I know they will always be Texans and most likely Houstonians. We may join the public system when HS comes around. It just depends where they are in life.

I don't think the schools are snobby, but they are proud of what they have created, and many are proud of the sacrifices they make to get into the district. But if you really want to look at that as snobby, so be it and then its not for you.

I wentr to Memorial back in the Ice Age. I didn't graduate in the top 10%, but nonetheless got into Rice. At the time UT didn't have a top 10% rule, so I'm certain I could have gotten in there easily at that time, if I had so chosen.

Memorial in my antidiluvian day was quite snobbish and strongly aware of its standing in the class structure. Perhaps that has changed in the years since a greater number of "north of the fvreeway" students now attend. It's harder to look down on people when you sit beside them in class.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

This post is probably going to be quiet different than others in this area, in the aspect that I was born and raised in Houston. My wife and I have been searching for a home for the past 6-8 months on HAR in Memorial High School zoning north of I-10. The problem is we are not finding anything that we can afford (below $300K), so I am hoping someone here could possiblely lend a hand. I have looked at the zoning line maps on SBISD, but sometimes these maps don't include all areas. My question for y'all is if you know any pockets in this area? Maybe a place where the zoning line is through a neighborhood or where one side of the street is Memorial and the other is a different school. If you know of anytthing or have any advice, please let me know. If you dont want to post it here, I understand, please email me or PM me.

Thank you in advance,

Blake

rbwamsley@gmail.com

Edited by rbwamsley

Hello everyone,

This post is probably going to be quiet different than others in this area, in the aspect that I was born and raised in Houston. My wife and I have been searching for a home for the past 6-8 months on HAR in Memorial High School zoning north of I-10. The problem is we are not finding anything that we can afford (below $300K), so I am hoping someone here could possiblely lend a hand. I have looked at the zoning line maps on SBISD, but sometimes these maps don't include all areas. My question for y'all is if you know any pockets in this area? Maybe a place where the zoning line is through a neighborhood or where one side of the street is Memorial and the other is a different school. If you know of anytthing or have any advice, please let me know. If you dont want to post it here, I understand, please email me or PM me.

Thank you in advance,

Blake

rbwamsley@gmail.com

The problem is everyone wants to go to that school. It's even hard to find houses under 300k,that are liveable, that go to Stratford. You could find a townhouse for that price range. North of the freeway is cheaper, but not that cheap if it's zoned to MHS. I know it's frustrating, but there's no trick to how to get in. There are no "grey" streets, no transfers. Heck, most of the those streets north of I-10, that are zoned to MHS, weren't a few years back. There was a major uproar about it, and some are still not happy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ok, I just looked at HAR.COM. Does this not work for you? http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;Address=1522 Glourie

It's small, but you can't be too picky in that price range if you want that school. Some builder will buy it and build a million dollar house soon enough

Edited by KatieDidIt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just did a HAR search for "all types" of homes in the 77024 and 77055 zipcodes under $300K, and both had pages of stuff. Mostly townhouses in the 024 south of I10, a mix of stuff on the north side in 055. Not every property in either of those zips is zoned to Memorial High School, but most of them are. If schools were my priority, I'd probably opt for one of the Ethan's Glen or Woodstone townhomes as mentioned above, or one of the smaller single family homes north of I10. I don't see the property values of either dropping in the future.

• 8 years later...

On paperwork, I see a lot of River Oaks Elementary School, The Kinkaid School, and The Awty International School. Seems to be some of the schools wealthy people send their kids to. 

Lamar High School should be more appealing in a year. That is HISD though, so not as inclusive like Memorial/River Oaks private schools. 

• 4 months later...

It seems unconscionable to me that the more we learn about CTE and it’s effects later in life, the more doctors are starting to see structural changes in the brain in younger and younger players, that there are still parents who enthusiastically sign their elementary age boys up for tackle football. Yet “Tully Bowl mania” seems even stronger this year. Memorial Drive from Gessner to Eldridge is littered with bandit signs supporting this or that team modeled after either an NFL or Division 1 college team. (And we had just gotten rid of all the political campaign signs).  Parents have been driving around for over a week now with their SUVs bedecked with team flags and messages scribbled on their rear windows. When I did youth sports in elementary school I don’t remember the parents taking it so seriously or encouraging us to take it so seriously. Of course us Gen Xers weren’t raised by helicopter parents, and I wasn’t raised in the Memorial area, where even a high school homecoming dance is treated like a prom in importance and expense, and a prom is treated like a wedding. I wonder what will be worse for these young football players, the long term cerebral effects of tackling at a young age, or the effects on their egos of having their pee wee games given the importance of an Olympiad by their parents. 

• The title was changed to Memorial High School Zoning
  • The title was changed to Memorial Area Schools