William Floyd(?) house for sale

lgg

My friend Catherine McIntosh, one of the Chron's photo editors, is selling her house. (See her e-mail below.) I haven't seen the house, but I can vouch that she's got great mid-century taste. (Her dad, Harrison McIntosh, has been a big deal in the Southern California pottery scene since the '40s. Has lots of stuff in museums.)

I told her that I'd post her note on this board, and have asked her for photos.

She's also looking for help figuring out whether it's really a Floyd. Anybody know off-hand? Or know how to find out?

From: Catherine McIntosh [mailto:cath.mcintosh@earthlink.net]

Sent: Wed 11/12/2008 9:53 PM

To: Gray, Lisa

Subject: our modern home is for sale

Lisa,

With your interests in architectural preservation, I thought you might know someone interested in buying a 1961 modern home in west Memorial. As you may know, I took the buyout and plan to move back to California in January.

Given the looming recession, my husband thinks we should sell quickly to a builder. I hate to see a nice modern torn down and we are considering signing with a realtor. But first we are fishing for interested buyers and trying to decide how to procede.

Our home is at 426 E. Gaywood, off Memorial between Beltway 8 and Wilcrest in Rustling Pines. It has GREAT public schools, close to Town&County shopping center, one block from the Audubon Nature Sanctuary and a short walk to Terry Hershey park's 6-mile trail. The house is 2,595 sq. ft. with 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths and a detached garage. The lot is 11,905 sq ft.. We have lived here since 1989. It does need a new roof, but otherwise has only minor defects. We are asking $375,000. If we put it on the market with a realtor, it will list for $400,000.

It was probably designed by William Norman Floyd, the architect who designed many homes in Memorial Bend and the surrounding neighborhoods, such as Rustling Pines to the west. I has a low-pitch roof, open flowing living spaces, simple clean built-ins and fixtures and lots of floor-to-ceiling windows. See attached photos.

Please feel free to pass this on and have anyone contact me or my husband Charley Tuggle at 713 973-2413.

Thanks, Catherine