Katy Water Quality, Do I Need Water Softer/Filter System?

Hello,

I have got great advice from HAIF before. Thanks to all the members.

We are going to move to a new construction home in Seven Meadows (Katy) in 6 to 8 weeks. We are very excited to move into this great neighborhood.

I have been hearing about water softner (filter) for entire home with Reverse Osmosis filter for drinking water.

Sure, it sounds great, the sales guy at our design center said, it would cost around $3500 for both.

I was wondering does any one have any knowledge about Katy water hardness, experience about water softner / reverse osmosis system, and how much that usually cost, any info about other vendors that would install the same quality system for cheap?

Thanks in advance for all your valuable suggestions.

Thanks.

I have a reverse osmosis system in my home. I am on my private well water, I also have a water softener system, I feel money well spent. $3500 is not a bad price if it's a decent system. I have a GE system.

r13786v-1.jpg

GE 13786 Reverse Osmosis

r13775v-1-1.jpg

GE 13775 Water Softener

Good Luck.

I'm from the N.O. area where water is hard and got along 40+ years without a softener, so I opted out of the softener when I had my home built. 6 months later I added a softener. Several co-workers also originally from hard-water areas ended up adding softeners also. I just couldn't take how dry my skin felt after a shower. A plumber friend of mine advised against a water softener though (a week AFTER I had the system installed), because sodium is corrosive to metal. I have noticed that my shower faucet handle is looking a little discolored - I faithfully squeegee the glass but sometimes forget to wipe down any metal surfaces. :-(

I have a whole house softener that runs the city water through activated charcoal, a red garnet sand bed and then potassium chloride softening (less corrosive than sodium chloride, i.e., salt). No need for a separate drinking water system (although our refrigerator does have a built in filter for the ice/water in the door system). I can fill a glass with tap water and leave it on the nightstand for two days and it doesn't smell like I'd dipped it out of the pool at the Y. Could not do that when we first moved in. Katy water is quite clean although it is slightly hard and does have a chlorine smell.

System is seven years old and cost around $3,000.

Hello,

I have got great advice from HAIF before. Thanks to all the members.

We are going to move to a new construction home in Seven Meadows (Katy) in 6 to 8 weeks. We are very excited to move into this great neighborhood.

I have been hearing about water softner (filter) for entire home with Reverse Osmosis filter for drinking water.

Sure, it sounds great, the sales guy at our design center said, it would cost around $3500 for both.

I was wondering does any one have any knowledge about Katy water hardness, experience about water softner / reverse osmosis system, and how much that usually cost, any info about other vendors that would install the same quality system for cheap?

Thanks in advance for all your valuable suggestions.

Thanks

go to belsomeh2oinstallers.com

• 5 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Sienna Plantation is the only place with water hard enough to justify a water softener. Other than that, you should be fine without one. The water in katy isnt going to ruin your appliances or anything, and hard water is generally better tasting and whatnot anyway, but if you personally prefer soft, get a softener. IMHO I personally wouldn't.

• The title was changed to Katy Water Quality, Do I Need Water Softer/Filter System?

Archived