Visionary Folk Art Environments In Houston

jazzooo

Hi there!

I'm doing some research into various folk art 'environments' here in Houston, including (but not limited to) the Orange Show, the Beer Can House, Bob Harper's Third World, Sylvester Williams' Eagle's Nest, Harold Porter's OK Corral, and various others. I'm very eager to talk to anyone who visited these places while they were still under construction (or in some cases, still existent) and who knew their creators fairly well. I've got a lot of the basics already, but I would love to hear from anyone who might have detailed first hand knowledge about these places.

Thanks in advance!

pete gershon

editor@signaltonoisemagazine.org

I don't personally know of anyone who could help you, but you may be interested to know that a new 'folk art park' is going up next to the Orange Show.

It's called Smither Park. Information can be found on-line at http://smitherpark.org.

It may be of interest to you to contact people involved in putting this together now.

Good luck!

I don't personally know of anyone who could help you, but you may be interested to know that a new 'folk art park' is going up next to the Orange Show.

It's called Smither Park. Information can be found on-line at http://smitherpark.org.

It may be of interest to you to contact people involved in putting this together now.

Good luck!

Much appreciated, Simbha. I'm working on this project with the aid of Orange Show staff and directors, and I do have access to their own archives and contacts, but I have got to assume there are people out there around Houston who knew the creators of these environments but who've never been interviewed or even asked about what they know. For sure, there will be a place for Smither Park in this book as sort of the culmination of three decades of the Orange Show Foundation's efforts. Again, many thanks!

post-10193-0-13798700-1313018534_thumb.j

• The title was changed to Visionary Folk Art Environments In Houston