Real Estate Agent question

celiene

Friend ( co-worker) has a home on the market---for five months now

It is a nice house---former model home ( I know, they are all nice--right?)

That just tells you it's got the bells and whistles--Gal keeps the home up very well---doesn't have any dogs, or children home at this time......( rough to keep a home showroom spotless when you have both LOL)

She listed with first agent for 3 and one half months---listing expired and she decided to try another local agency--one that is known for doing much more advertising---at the recommendation of her buyers agent--who also works for the agency ( but not at the satellite office in the suburbs--buyers agent works in the city)

The agent sent out to represent her as the listing agent was not who was recommmend via "headquarters" ( per the buyer agent request) but who the broker at the suburban agency thought was "better"--this did not get communicated to the seller before she decided to sign and list with this gentleman.........she just figured this was the "right agent"

Anyway--buyer's agent get's home from well deserved vacation---contacts client---and realizes this is not the agent she recommended

Well--no problem--it was only two weeks into the listing--and everything seemed to be going well.....................

At about the six week point ( half-way thru the contract) it is very apparent that this is not a "good match" for my friend--or her listing

Why?

Well, the listing agent decides to take her out to view some "comps" in the area ---well---he took her to only forclosures and short sales--which there are not many at all in her area (Woodlands) and suggested that she would have to lower her home by about 75K to get it sold

None of these comps were in her area---which has current sales supporting her price---also there are current homes in "her sub" which she could have been shown for more comprehensive comps ( than forclosures with water damage and wood-rot) some even with similiar floor-plans.............

We felt this was a poor way to try to get her to lower her price to sell quickly ( which she doesn't need to do at a loss) so there is a sale in his pocket..

And it just went downhill from there---seems after Mandi "didn't take the bait"--the realtor doesn't return calls, or e-mails---late at gettting feedback with showings ( none has been negative--other than not having a "pool") never got the pictures up on Realtor.com..........................never forwarded "said advertising"

So she contacts buyer's agent who gets involved---reads e-mails between the two ( easier for Mandi since her english is "broken" as they say--but her written word is better than most Americans) looks at comps in the area--doesn't agree with those comps in which Mandi was shown --even drives out to "take a look" at them ( sells some homes in the area)

Suggests that Mandi discontinue the listing with this agent and change to the listing agent who was originally referred by her--even goes as far as to call current listing agent and try to resolve things ( I have to say--this buyers agent went the extra mile---she's a "good egg") and suggests to the current listing agent that a change is in order......

Mandi meets with the originally referred agent this afternoon---doesn't know what to think-----she comes over and tells Mandi that this guy did nothing "wrong" ( while other agents at the downtown location point out "falsities" stated by first listing agent) which is , of course--a good way to "smooth things over"..........................

The second agent--Mandi can see---should have been the original listing agent---better ideas--more on top of things--but doesn't like how she protects her co-worker ( saying nothing would have been better)

But it is a small office--and it is well known that they are all "friends"--so she wonders if she will just get "listed" as a pain in the arse client with too high of expectations..........................

My opinion--interview other agents in the area---I don't know if it's a good idea to change to a different agent in the same office half-way thru the listing period

What do you guys think about this??

Opinions welcome!

Edited by celiene

I agree. Go with a different company.

The 2nd agent doesn't want to step on any toes in their own office. It sounds like it would be better for everyone if you went in a different direction.

There's too many good agents out there for you to have to deal with a lousy one.

Good luck!

Thanks for your responses

Next Question: the house is still listed with the current agency for now---they are going to change agencies---as everyone agrees with the posters above

Leave it as is--and interview new listing agents in the next few days--then cancel listing with current agency once new listing agent is decided upon?

OR

Just cancel listing now---take it off the market for a few days ( slow up there right now, anyway---lucky if they get one showing a week at best--although that might be another sign the lister may be be lacking in marketing ability--as price is right at the sq ft for the area---with more upgrades than other comps on the market currently) and then place it back on the market with the new listing agent

I'm just wondering---would any agents even want to speak with a homeowner that is only about halfway thru their current listing contract?

Can that sort of thing get messy? There is a "out for any reason clause" in the contract

I would "NOT" have those worries in the Houston city proper---but real estate can be sorta "clubby" out here ( Woodlands)---small town bit and all

Thanks for your responses

Next Question: the house is still listed with the current agency for now---they are going to change agencies---as everyone agrees with the posters above

Leave it as is--and interview new listing agents in the next few days--then cancel listing with current agency once new listing agent is decided upon?

OR

Just cancel listing now---take it off the market for a few days ( slow up there right now, anyway---lucky if they get one showing a week at best--although that might be another sign the lister may be be lacking in marketing ability--as price is right at the sq ft for the area---with more upgrades than other comps on the market currently) and then place it back on the market with the new listing agent

I'm just wondering---would any agents even want to speak with a homeowner that is only about halfway thru their current listing contract?

Can that sort of thing get messy? There is a "out for any reason clause" in the contract

I would "NOT" have those worries in the Houston city proper---but real estate can be sorta "clubby" out here ( Woodlands)---small town bit and all

The safest thing to do (in my opinion as a former realtor, is to take it off the market and INTERVIEW SEVERAL REALTORS to see which agency,as well as which agent appeals to the homeowner the most.

And, yes, you can get out of it for any time for any reason.

I don't care how "clubby" they are in the Woodlands, a sale is a sale,and I can't imagine anyone turning down showing a property just because there was a "messy" listing at first.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the ( personal, and professional) advice, Papillion!

My experince involving realtors in the area when I sold ( last April) was interesting....

I interviewed several agents(4) who were recommended to me via business contacts, friends, what have you....

Finally went with one of those "listing Kings" in the area---although I was not so sure about it.............that I had picked the right one.....

Worked out fine---since the office there is sooo large that there were alot of agents to show my home ( and they did)

What I did notice, though, was that nobody from the other two large agencies that I had interviewed ever showed my house ( other friends and neighbors notice this when they list their homes, too---so it's not just "me")

The fourth person was a small broker/agency--and he did come by and show it once, or twice.....

Of course---not all agents have clients all the time in your price range---yet alone clients who may like your home.......

It took close to 70 showings to sell my house ( I sometimes had 3-4 a day- sometimes more-it was like grand central---but it was located on Lake Woodlands---no, not one of those Monster homes---one of the small ones by the canals) and keep in mind--it sold in about a month.............

Real Estate can be very "different" depending on where you live--most listing agents never show their own listings out there ( of course--stats are that most listing agents only sell about 1-5% of their own listings anyway)

Other places that I have lived ( MI, CO, NYC,Houston)--the listing agent showed my home--out of 8 houses, 5 were sold by the listing agent---with no problems ( just lucky??)

It all gets confusing--doesn't it

Anyway--she took the house off the market today---and is calling area realtors to interview and re-list--hope it all goes well

Thanks for the ( personal, and professional) advice, Papillion!

My experince involving realtors in the area when I sold ( last April) was interesting....

I interviewed several agents(4) who were recommended to me via business contacts, friends, what have you....

Finally went with one of those "listing Kings" in the area---although I was not so sure about it.............that I had picked the right one.....

Worked out fine---since the office there is sooo large that there were alot of agents to show my home ( and they did)

What I did notice, though, was that nobody from the other two large agencies that I had interviewed ever showed my house ( other friends and neighbors notice this when they list their homes, too---so it's not just "me")

The fourth person was a small broker/agency--and he did come by and show it once, or twice.....

Of course---not all agents have clients all the time in your price range---yet alone clients who may like your home.......

It took close to 70 showings to sell my house ( I sometimes had 3-4 a day- sometimes more-it was like grand central---but it was located on Lake Woodlands---no, not one of those Monster homes---one of the small ones by the canals) and keep in mind--it sold in about a month.............

Real Estate can be very "different" depending on where you live--most listing agents never show their own listings out there ( of course--stats are that most listing agents only sell about 1-5% of their own listings anyway)

Other places that I have lived ( MI, CO, NYC,Houston)--the listing agent showed my home--out of 8 houses, 5 were sold by the listing agent---with no problems ( just lucky??)

It all gets confusing--doesn't it

Anyway--she took the house off the market today---and is calling area realtors to interview and re-list--hope it all goes well

I wish her the best. Please keep us posted.