MCM - Exterior Paint

Lowbrow

I'm getting ready to take the exterior of my MCM back to a very similar color to the original. Does anyone have a suggestion for the texture? I never even thought of it until asked by the painters. Anything more period than another... satin, gloss, etc?

good question. i've been recently thinking of painting my house and have been exploring colors. one thing that i have noticed is that when you have a sheen in it, the color appears to be slightly lighter than it would be if it were a flat color. i guess cause light is more reflective if there is a sheen. when i think MCM i think shiny metals, sleek lines, veneers, etc....so maybe not flat?

I'm going with a very dark brown, nearly black, paint... I think it is called scorched earth... or burnt earth... or something like that. I'm also guessing flat will be the period choice. While the metals were shiny, they liked their woods as natural as possible.

I just replaced the cedar on the garage side of my home today and it looks beautiful! Seems a shame to paint over it at all. But I just can't afford replacing all my cedar and solid staining the entire house. :(

From my experience with really dark paint, and I have lots of it in my place, with satin paint in dark colors it seems to fade in sunlight more rapidly than gloss.

If I remember correctly, Lowbrow, you bought that really cool house in Memorial Bend. If so, the color you chose will look really cool on that house. Great choice. In my opinion since that house has such a heavy texture to the brick, especially those columns around those narrow windows, a semi gloss might give a little depth and contrast that will soften the look of the house. I think that it also wouldn't take away from the period of the house.

• 1 month later...

That is correct. The fascade is mainly a split brick, as in it came as one big brick and they would split in on site to give it that rough edge. The brick size is pretty average in depth and height but the length is about twice as long as what is normally used today.

ps. I just switched to bigger images to see more detail (hopefully).

That is correct. The fascade is mainly a split brick, as in it came as one big brick and they would split in on site to give it that rough edge. The brick size is pretty average in depth and height but the length is about twice as long as what is normally used today.

ps. I just switched to bigger images to see more detail (hopefully).

thank you! i like it. i reminds me of my parents' neighbors. they have a lighter colored brick with a dark brown trim as well. works well together!

Lowbrow, the paint job looks spectacular! I love how the trim makes a statement instead of blending with the brick color. Very appropriate. And I think your landscaping has made a huge improvement to the front facade.

Now, what's next on your list?

Thanks for all the comments.

When we bought the place we couldnt believe that they were hiding their house behind all those bushes and the paint in the original pics of the house looked so much better than what I just painted over.

Next? Hmmm. We are either going to spend some time putting in a patio and resurface the driveway (currently looking at pea gravel or permiable pavers).. or... work on going to a split zone HVAC. Really we are still in the "design" phase.

Archived