Kirby At Richmond Center At 3600 Kirby Dr.

• 10 months later...

Any idea what's going on at this intersection? There's currently an abandoned plaza, and I drive by fairly often wondering what's going to happen to it. Recently I saw a sign talking about some sort of new development but I was unable to read it. Does anybody know?

Any idea what's going on at this intersection? There's currently an abandoned plaza, and I drive by fairly often wondering what's going to happen to it. Recently I saw a sign talking about some sort of new development but I was unable to read it. Does anybody know?

The renovation of the shopping center that used to have El Ruchi's?

It's going to be a redesigned strip center. Basicly the same as before except with less skanky tenants.

Weird. When I moved here in the summer I noticed it was sort of abandoned and I haven't seen any changes. Are they going to tear down what's there or just renovate the existing buildings.

And what was El Ruchi's? I'm kinda new here so I guess I'm missing out...

That's good news. That strip center is kind of scuzzy. As for Jamaica Jamaica, I had heard from a policeman that it was a major source of crime and a hangout for a pretty nasty crowd.

When I was in college in Boston, our men's and women's track teams would come to Houston every year during spring break and spend a week training at Rice. A couple of girls on the team ALWAYS wanted to go to Jamaica Jamaica but never did... then one night during our senior year we were given a night off to go out and these girls wanted to go to JJ on their last chance to do so - so we even told our coaches that's where we were going to be later that night if they wanted to join us out.

Subsequently, some of the Rice athletes warned us away from there and we didn't go - but it was too late for our coaches - they showed up that night and went inside and had a drink and waited around for awhile before they decided they couldn't stand it anymore and quit waiting on us. Funny story, that's what I will always think of when I think of Jamaica Jamaica.

• 1 year later...

Well... It looks like the "renovation" is "complete". The fence has come down and now there are For Lease signs in each and every window. I assume that means they don't have a single tenant lined up.

There's nothing like undertaking a muti-year renovation of a consistently 100% occupied property only to end up with a property that looks nearly identical, yet has 0% occupancy. Now that they are "done", they get to enjoy a few years of rail construction that will forever ruin Richmond for vehicle (read: customer) traffic.

Somebody really dropped the ball on this deal.

bpe3

I wonder why it took them so long to make something that was exactly the same as what they started with. What was wrong with the original strip center (aside form the fact that it is a strip center)?

It took them about 2 years to renovate this place!

Well... It looks like the "renovation" is "complete". The fence has come down and now there are For Lease signs in each and every window. I assume that means they don't have a single tenant lined up.

There's nothing like undertaking a muti-year renovation of a consistently 100% occupied property only to end up with a property that looks nearly identical, yet has 0% occupancy. Now that they are "done", they get to enjoy a few years of rail construction that will forever ruin Richmond for vehicle (read: customer) traffic.

Somebody really dropped the ball on this deal.

bpe3

While I wouldn't exactly say it looks exactly identitical, I do agree with the overall point, which is that they took a long time to rehab the old center and that there will be other elements in play that could very well affect the leasability of the added parcels.

I would've thought that they'd have tenants in place by now (of course, I also thought they would've been done with the rehab at least six months ago as well).

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Kirby @ Richmond Center At 3600 Kirby Dr.
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Kirby At Richmond Center At 3600 Kirby Dr.