Kenneth Schnitzer Mansion At 314 East Friar Tuck Ln.

Jersey01

This house is on Friar Tuck in Sherwood Forest, very close to the famous mini French Palace. Anyone know anything about this house? It looks like a good, clean, simple design, probably 1960s.

_DSC2689.jpg

Supposedly Wilson Morris Crain & Anderson, but I've got no evidence.

• 1 month later...

If this is next to the French chateau, years ago a friend was renting out the servant's quarters while she was finishing grad school. Occasionally when the owners were out of town we would go inside the house to hang out. I remember very little of the interior, other than thinking that it wasn't as luxurious as I had expected. The servant's quarters were dire - she had to cook on a little hot plate.

If this is next to the French chateau, years ago a friend was renting out the servant's quarters while she was finishing grad school. Occasionally when the owners were out of town we would go inside the house to hang out. I remember very little of the interior, other than thinking that it wasn't as luxurious as I had expected. The servant's quarters were dire - she had to cook on a little hot plate.

Heh, hence the term "servant's quarters".

• 3 months later...
Neat find. Is it normal for houses that modernist outside to be outfitted oppositely, without streamlining, inside?

some of the furniture looks like it predates the house. probably pricey family furniture or something similar

Edited by musicman

I really love his house, the back reminds me of 50's Beverly Hills houses in Trousdale Estates. Looks sort of Hal Levitt to me.

And good point about Dominique de Menil being very influential in the aspect of eclectic antiques in modernist homes. Houston's higher end mods tend to have this distinct look.

Edited by Jersey01

• 2 months later...

Some builder is building vanilla colored, patterned concrete walls on their constructions on Friar Tuck and Memorial. There are two of them and they look HORRIBLE, like shiney plastic. They look like the plastic walls you get in the bag of mini,plastic army men. Sad.

Also, if some one goes crashing into that ( not like anyone slides off Memorial into a wall ever....every month... :wacko: ), it one huge piece that has to be reformed rather than patched.

Edited by KatieDidIt

The listing agent certainly didn't go overboard on the photos! MLS allows 16...she only has 6. Perhaps it's just a teaser to lure wealthy potential buyers in for an accompanied tour of the home.

(Useless Trivia: The owner has the same name as the former owner of Yellow Cab here in Houston, although I can't be certain that it's the same person.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Kenneth Schnitzer Mansion At 314 East Friar Tuck Ln.