MidtownCoog

You know I was tempted the other day to just go into their open house. Whoever is running it appears to be kind of stupid, since they have put signs up everywhere saying the web site is kirbyloftsonmain.com and all that brings up is something saying the domain name has been bought. I noticed the place one day when I was at lunch at Stallone's and it looks like they are putting a Wolfgang Puck Express in the ground floor level as well. Is it a for lease building or a condo building?

• Like 1

You know I was tempted the other day to just go into their open house. Whoever is running it appears to be kind of stupid, since they have put signs up everywhere saying the web site is kirbyloftsonmain.com and all that brings up is something saying the domain name has been bought. I noticed the place one day when I was at lunch at Stallone's and it looks like they are putting a Wolfgang Puck Express in the ground floor level as well. Is it a for lease building or a condo building?

That is Tracy Suttles' building....It is currently a rental although i have heard numerous rumors that it may go condo...

Yea, looks nice. My youger sister is looking for a loft lease downtown. I walk by there every day on my way to work.

One odd thing, some balconies face into the 1001 McKinney Garage.

I may go check them out tomorrow during lunch.

Love to get your thoughts on the building. When you go, ask about parking. I have heard numerous rumors on valet parking, etc.

Thanks in advance.

TNJ

I kinda like the glass.

You want ugly close by? New West Building, baby! New West!

Uhh, what is the deal with that building anyway? I love the sign of "new building coming soon!" I hate seeing that building and pretty much that whole strip there. Its pretty disgusting on the whole, same story on the other side of Main too. Its amazing what one or two blocks of difference make. And the rubble lot close to Topz burgers is another thing that just amazes me in terms of the lack of any progress at all.

Coog, I thought you were going to check the building out? I saw a young couple today walking around with a folder brochure from Kirby Lofts, almost asked them what they thought of the place.

• 1 year later...
umm....

Links anyone?

I am lazy lol.

Let me see if I can find it. Was searching for a friend one day for stuff to rent in downtown, and came across it. I will post when I find.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Ho...ts-on-Main.html

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/tx...n-main10827.htm

Edited by Daniepwils

It's really weird. With both links, the negative comments cover a three week span and then absolutely nothing for ten or so months. Then the last three comments are positve.

Very weird.

Seems like the residents (however many) really had a problem with the management at the end of 2005 and beginning of 2006. I wonder if it's the same management company today.

• 2 weeks later...

ApartmentRatings.net is nothing but a website for those who are pissed off for whatever reason at their landlord to vent. Look at almost any property on that site and you'll see that the negative opinions far outweight the positives. The site is far from balanced, and IMO should not be given much credit in making a decision about where to live. At many of those properties the majority of residents are very satisfied and don't feel the need to go online and vent. Those who are upset over something will go out and post as much as they can that's negative in order to get it out of their system.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, here's another school zoning post...

Kirby Lofts on Main (917 Main) is in Houston ISD, like all places in central Houston:

* Gregory-Lincoln (zoned for K-5 only) (Gregory-Lincoln is a K-8 school)

* E.O. Smith (zoned for 6-8 only) (E.O. Smith is a 1-8 school)

* Davis HS

The odd aspect is that people who wish to attend Gregory-Lincoln for middle school must get a transfer. Then again, I suspect people who move into the apartments who have kids would rather send them to other HISD magnet schools or to private schools anyway.

Kirby Lofts on Main does NOT have a website.

Edited by VicMan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I noticed they are now selling these units and some are listed on har.com. I wonder if these would be a good investment with the new park, Houston Pavilians, and the new building replacing the New West Building.

$195K for 1100 sq. feet doesn't seem too bad for downtown; I just wonder what the maintenance fee is?

Edited by ToolMan

I noticed they are now selling these units and some are listed on har.com. I wonder if these would be a good investment with the new park, Houston Pavilians, and the new building replacing the New West Building.

$195K for 1100 sq. feet doesn't seem too bad for downtown; I just wonder what the maintenance fee is?

The listing agent said the maintenance fee is 44 cents/sq. ft. The listing states that some units face Main. It is probably like the other lofts in that the lower priced units face a back alley. I do agree that the price seems reasonable depending on what the maintenance covers.

Anyone have the scoop on Kirby Lofts?

They look neat.

There are on Main next to CVS/1001 McKinney.

I just spoke with the listing agent. One bedrooms overlooking Main Street are priced at $204,900 on the third, seventh and eighth floors. Not a bad deal. 1,191 sq. ft.

I just spoke with the listing agent. One bedrooms overlooking Main Street are priced at $204,900 on the third, seventh and eighth floors. Not a bad deal. 1,191 sq. ft.

Reiterating what Baker said above, no parking. That is what i have always understood to be the problem here.

No parking. Buy a unit, lease a parking space. Maybe acceptable to you, but re-sale will be a nightmare b/c you will never be able to guarantee long term parking to anyone.

My two cents.

Anyone know who the real owner is? Tracy no longer has it, it was for sale, but I don't know who really owns it.

Important in buying: who is the owner of the property, parking. Probably 8 units occupied (leased) right now, if that many.

They are for sale now! I looked at two today. They are alright. They just went on the market. I think there are about 4 people living there. I am giving them an offer today, lets see if they bite!

Main. Fees seem a bit much for that place though.