Houston Community College Central Campus At 1300 Holman St.

Blake

Howdy all,

This is my second post here, been lurking for a while. So, if this is a double post please forgive, I searched a bit but nothing turned up :ph34r:

Houston Community College Central is constructing a few new buildings in the midtown area, and performing a much-needed renovation of the San Jacinto Memorial Building among others on the campus. 1300 Holman Street.

The renovation seems to be throwing out parking space in exchange for a nice green space in front of SJAC. The most prominent new construction is the Learning Hub, which will house their technology and science classes.

http://learning.cc.hccs.edu/future/

http://learning.cc.hccs.edu/future/future.swf

In my opinion, the Learning Hub resembles an ice cube sitting on the historic SJAC building's front lawn. I have mixed feelings about it, and am questioning whether it fits in with the area.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the construction? Are our bonds going to good use?

• Like 1

welcome to the forum blake. i enjoyed perusing the links you provided. although the renderings are from november 2005, the update page let me know that things are moving along.

the new greenspace in front of SJMB will offer a "front" to HCC, something it severely lacks. for years, i've driven past HCC, through HCC, and never known where exactly HCC is.

• Like 1

welcome to the forum blake. i enjoyed perusing the links you provided. although the renderings are from november 2005, the update page let me know that things are moving along.

the new greenspace in front of SJMB will offer a "front" to HCC, something it severely lacks. for years, i've driven past HCC, through HCC, and never known where exactly HCC is.

if you were driving on caroline from downtown that lead you right to the front, the old SJHS. the area was surrounded by buildings. their renderings look like they want to open up that area more so they are demolishing the building that used to block the view to san jacinto street. maybe that'll allow at least a partial skyline view.

• 3 months later...

I was driving on 59 and noticed a crane! I was stunned, a couple of days later I happened to be in the area and it turns out that HCC had torn down a significant portion of it's campus and appears to be putting up a building, but I wasn't able to get an upclose look at the rendering.

This is a substantial looking crane and it appears as if it's going to be a substantial building. Anyone have any info on this?

• Like 1

There are two cranes; one across the street from the main buildings (next to the art building or whatever, the one with murals) and another crane in front of the main building, which was a parking lot until now.

They are building a ~4 story (trying to recall from rendering) new main building in front of the old main building and between its two 'eaves' on the former front parking lot. I don't know what the other building is.

Anyway, it's in my neighborhood, maybe I'll go take some pics.

• Like 1

They are building a ~4 story (trying to recall from rendering) new main building in front of the old main building and between its two 'eaves' on the former front parking lot. I don't know what the other building is.

For us story "whores" what does that mean as far as the previous building; taller, shorter or the same?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Last night HCC had a community forum about improvements that are going to be made in the near future. It was very informative, and there are some really cool things in the works.

Here are some of the highlights:

1. Star Plaza: HCC is going to turn that parking lot in front (and tear down the building at Hollman and San Jacinto) into a park type setting called Star Plaza. You can see renderings here: http://www.theldnet.com/details.php?project=HCC%20Central They are also going to be adding various types of gardens, trees, etc. around the campus. Demo should begin around Winter so they don't disturb classes.

2. The building on the corner of Hollman and San Jacinto (on the other side of Hollman) will be renovated into a Barnes and Noble and coffee shop soon! The Barnes and Noble will be open during student hours at first (public can still come), but the coffee shop will be open later for anyone in the community to come get coffee. The really exciting thing that they said is that the ultimate goal (although they aren't promising it, but it is "in planning" and is still a couple years off) is to build an 8-10 story building on this lot and put a Super Barnes and Noble and Starbucks on the ground floor.

3. Austin Street (that cuts between the campus and is cut off right now) is going to be opened up for bikes and walking through. They are going to make it similar to the wide dirt road @ Discovery Green where all the trees overhang it (between the restaurant and sports field).

4. Midtown is going to do street improvements on Caroline from Hollman to Elgin that will look like Elgin's (and now McGowen's) renovations. In a couple years, Midtown is going to continue renovations on Caroline all the way to Pierce elevated. Midtown is also going start the same types of street improvements on Alabama from Main to Chenevert.

The HCC staff talked about how HCC is the largest land holder in Midtown, and that they plan on making the campus one of the larger college landmarks in Houston and want the Midtown campus to be their flagship. Needless to say, I left very impressed and excited knowing that HCC really cares about Midtown and wants to start developing the area more.

Edited by brian0123
  • Like 2

yeah i actually got wind of this from 002|houston magazine of all places... very, very exciting for that part of town. creating a very urbane campus will greatly increase pedestrian traffic and should help spur a lot of pedestrian-friendly development. the street improvements will only help solidify that.

great news.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I saw that they have fenced off the Staff parking under the Business building on campus. I heard that they fenced it off because they were going to be working on moving the police office and book store under the business building. It looks like this summer could be a busy one for construction and demo.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Nice to see this completed. They were planning it years back when I lived nearby. The one thing that still hasn't happened that they talked about then was a 10 story structure across the street. Apparently they were trying to get a Barnes and Nobles type anchor signed on before moving forward. Would love to know if that's still in the works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Houston Community College Rebids Culinary Arts Center Project

ouston (Harris Co.) - The Houston Community College effort to relocate the Culinary Arts Center to the Central Campus has hit a few bumps along the way, but the project was rebid for subcontractors and still moving forward.

The Culinary Arts program outgrew its space at the 3100 Main Street campus some time ago and there have been plans to build a new facility for years. In February 2015, the HCC district announced that a new building was in the works and construction might begin as early as the summer of 2015. The district set aside $5.8 million to make that happen.

This is Project ID 2016-9101 at VBX and bids are due Feb. 7 at 2 p.m. The estimated project cost is $10.7 million. This is a 12-month construction schedule.

At the time, the district envisioned a 38,000-square-foot, two-story building with 50 parking spaces. Those numbers have changed, but the project site remain and it is bounded by Alabama Street, La Branch Street, Winbern Street and Austin Street.

The final designs refer to a slightly smaller structure at 32,121 square feet. The parking lot was reduced to 15 spaces.

In addition to the standard aesthetics landscaping, Clark Condon Associates has incorporated an herb garden so the cooks will have on-site fresh ingredients.

Stantec Architecture & Interior Design produced the architectural documents in association with NATEX Architects.

The site address is 1401 Alabama St. The block has served as a surface parking lot for the campus. The pavement was demolished in 2016 to make way for cast-in-place concrete foundation and floors.

This building will involve finish out of three of five culinary art laboratories. Two will be left as shell space to be finished later.

Spaces include a cooking/baking lab, a dining room/bar, a dish room, storage/receiving, computer labs, classrooms, a student lounge, locer rooms, faculty offices, conference rooms, a reception area.

The exterior will have face brick, decorative CMU and standard CMU. The bones of the superstructure will be of structural steel with steel joists, a steel floor and roof decking.

files.php?file=HCCculinary_TopperPreferr

files.php?file=HCculinaryTopper_26206232

files.php?file=HCCculinary_map_180569571

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...