Gus Wortham Park Golf Course At 7000 Capitol St.

Although I do not live in the East End I have worked in the area for many years. I work very close to the Golf Course and it is something I look forward to seeing each day. The history of Gus Wortham G.C. in itself should declare it a landmark. It is, imo a treasure of the city. Unfortuately, the city has not kept it up very well and a movement in the East End has begun to save it. Below is a wonderful editorial by attorney Walter Boyd. A committee is being formed called Friends of Gus Wortham that will do whatever it needs to to raise funds, clean it and hopefully perserve the entire course for future generations.

If you know of anyone in the East End who would like to help please pm me and please read the outstanding editorial Walter wrote. I know he has gotten much feedback on it.

( a friend of mine whose dad is a WWll veteran was a caddie at that golf course when he was a teenager, lots of wonderful memories there)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editor...ok/4561944.html

• Like 1

Although I do not live in the East End I have worked in the area for many years. I work very close to the Golf Course and it is something I look forward to seeing each day. The history of Gus Wortham G.C. in itself should declare it a landmark. It is, imo a treasure of the city. Unfortuately, the city has not kept it up very well and a movement in the East End has begun to save it. Below is a wonderful editorial by attorney Walter Boyd. A committee is being formed called Friends of Gus Wortham that will do whatever it needs to to raise funds, clean it and hopefully perserve the entire course for future generations.

If you know of anyone in the East End who would like to help please pm me and please read the outstanding editorial Walter wrote. I know he has gotten much feedback on it.

( a friend of mine whose dad is a WWll veteran was a caddie at that golf course when he was a teenager, lots of wonderful memories there)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editor...ok/4561944.html

I recieved word-on-the-street that another location outside East End may be in consideration for the soccer complex. I'm going to hold off until I know the info's legitimate, but I think the whole city would like it...

• Like 1

I recieved word-on-the-street that another location outside East End may be in consideration for the soccer complex. I'm going to hold off until I know the info's legitimate, but I think the whole city would like it...

the mayor said that a few days ago on the news.

The mayor did back off because so many objected to the demise of the course including council people. I did hear another site for the soccer field is in talks, maybe Milby Park-not for sure.

Now it was stated maybe saving 9 holes for the course. These people must be thinking in terms of putt-putt. The entire course needs to remain.

There are not many sites anywhere in this city that has such a fabulous history like Gus Wortham. The course also gives disadvantaged kids an opportunity to get themselves introduced to the game. People will be at City Hall this week to make their feelings known.

It took one day to get a 1000 names on a petition to keep the course up. Not much more needs to be said.

Will keep you informed.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but trying to justify retaining Gus Wortham as a golf course by saying that it "gives disadvantaged kids an opportunity to get themselves introduced to the game" is such a stretch. Give me a break.. :wacko: If the disadvantaged are really the issue here, don't you think they might prefer soccer?

Why does the whole course need to be saved? Want is wrong with a 9-hole compromise?

I'm sorry, but trying to justify retaining Gus Wortham as a golf course by saying that it "gives disadvantaged kids an opportunity to get themselves introduced to the game" is such a stretch. Give me a break.. :wacko: If the disadvantaged are really the issue here, don't you think they might prefer soccer?

Why does the whole course need to be saved? Want is wrong with a 9-hole compromise?

I agree. Soccer, basketball, or baseball would give more disadvantaged kids an opportunity. An entire soccer or basketball game can be played with a one time cost of $15 for a ball; not so for golf. I want the course to stay because I live nearby and don't want crime and traffic to increase or my property value to drop. However, I have friends in the area who want the soccer facility because they claim there is much interest but not enough facilities to support it in our area.

9-hole golf is not like 18 hole golf. It is like asking to reduce a baseball field from 4 bases to two. It becomes a totally different thing.

I was at the Eastwood/East Lawndale Super Neighborhood meeting a few weeks ago when the members voted unanimously against the soccer fields and the reasons were traffic concerns, increased noise and loss of greenspace/old trees and the historic angle was mentioned but, since there's no actual historic structures left anyway, that reason seemed more like icing on the cake.

One woman there mentioned that Oliver Luck had said that their practices usually drew 8000 visitors (?) and so the traffic and noise would be large negatives.

If the course continues to be a financial loser, I would like to see it converted into simply a park.

You have taken my words and "strecthed" them into your own interpretation. :wacko:

If you want to play putt-putt there are probably several places you can go. This course is historic and should be maintained as an 18 hole course.

Why don't you go to City Hall and voice your objections on keeping it as an 18 hole course. :blink:

As far as the kids, there are quite a few afterschool programs involving soccer. Don't know of any involving golf in that area.

The course is open to these kids to learn the game and what is wrong with that? Or is it the word "disadvantaged" that you object to?

The best that could happen to that golf course is bringing in all the young kids in the surrounding area and turning them on to the sport of golf. Could very well save their lives.

Only way that could happen is by community banning together and doing group lessons, etc. However in reality, I imagine video games/hip hop are more priority. So the cycle continues. Wonder if we will ever see the day when an olympic pool or ice skating rink is placed around there? The kids in The Woodlands/Kingwood have such positive influences at their doorstep. We could have tomorrows Nancy Kerrigan's learning right here.

Why not around Gus Wortham area? Politics, $ ? Pandora's box is now open...now I'll hush. :blush:

Ooops! Mea culpa just read the article...please no stones!

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Now that we know this golf course will stay intact, has anyone heard of when they will start constructing the discussed new pavilion?

I recall a rendering of some sort on this forum somewhere by someone? It seemed really modern and spacious.

Recently, I ate inside the Taco Bell across the street facing the park as the sun was setting from behind the building and the golf course looked just like a painting. The sun highlighted the perfectly manicured light green lawn and there was a light breeze passing through the old oak trees with the Spanish moss hanging.

I almost thought I wasn't in Houston. The air conditioning inside helped of course but the park looked like something you might see in San Diego or Pismo Beach. No joke. That place has sooooo much potential.

Just wondered if anyone has seen any articles, etc. :)

• Like 1

Now that we know this golf course will stay intact, has anyone heard of when they will start constructing the discussed new pavilion?

I recall a rendering of some sort on this forum somewhere by someone?

there was a meeting on this last week that i had planned to attend, but forgot about due to a long day at work. there is no approved plan at this point but the city has repeatedly announced that the neighborhood would have some input. it seems that private meetings were being held without the area residents. the renderings being developed had a total redesign with the club house being at the corner of s wayside and lawndale. i've been told that residents aren't happy about what is going on.

it seems that private meetings were being held without the area residents.

(This doesnt surprise me)

the renderings being developed had a total redesign with the club house being at the corner of s wayside and lawndale. i've been told that residents aren't happy about what is going on.

(That will be very interesting to see, I mean as far as where the new entrances will be. Wayside is way to congested as is.)

A Lawndale entrance/exit may work, except when funeral processions at Forest Park pass, could be dangerous.

IMO I think that location would be a fantastic view that is if this pavilion thing is over 2-3 stories high. They may as well provide a great view of the golfcourse landscape and downtown skyline. I hope the mayor and dignitaries have fancy soiree's there. I know I would. Close proximity to DT and airport. Hell yes! It could be the resurgence of the area. I can see 45 Frwy at Wayside to Lawndale all new top notch venues.

I know... standing too close to the catnip again.

there was a meeting on this last week that i had planned to attend, but forgot about due to a long day at work. there is no approved plan at this point but the city has repeatedly announced that the neighborhood would have some input. it seems that private meetings were being held without the area residents. the renderings being developed had a total redesign with the club house being at the corner of s wayside and lawndale. i've been told that residents aren't happy about what is going on.

At last night's Eastwood Civic Association meeting, there was a brief announcement about plans for the redevelopment of the Gus Wortham Golf Course. A golf course designer/consultant has been hired and plans are underway for the new clubhouse and other amenities. Committees for various aspects of this project are being formed, so interested local residents might still be able to get involved. My suggestion: call Carol Alvarado's office, Parks and Recreation Dep't., etc. for more information.

As a sidebar, it was mentioned that "an area" near the downtown sports venues is being seriously considered at this time for the new soccer stadium - no specifics given.

• 5 months later...

Any idea if the new clubhouse has been started? Eager to see the design.

Crossing fingers its going to have great DT city views as well as the grounds?

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Unless I missed any updates? Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if this new Clubhouse facility was just talk or will it ever come into fruition?

2. Has anyone played gold here lately?

I sure would love create a contest for whomever can design the neatest (most practical) Club House on this golf course?

Would you design in Spanish Hacienda style or Italian Renaissance, or whatever. You get the gist of it. :P

I made a donation to GWGC and still nothing...come on' now. What's the hold up?

You mean there was an announcement asking for $ to build it up? :mellow:

I wonder if there is a paid staff or does city do upkeep?

We discussed and described the original clubhouse in great detail with pics too. It was awesome.

I personally would build one at least 4 - 5 levels high. Best views all around and swankiest events booked for years! :rolleyes:

• The title was changed to Gus Wortham Park Golf Course

Historic Gus Wortham Park Golf Course begins second phase of renovations

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/03/22/gus-whortham-park-golf-course-second-phase.html

Gus Wortham Park Golf Course, a historic golf course in the East End, recently commenced its second phase of renovations.

Phase two will consist of the construction of a new 7,500-square-foot clubhouse and grill as well as infrastructure to support updated parking, road improvements, and the addition of a short game practice area.

Phase two is expected to be complete by late summer or early fall.

Previously, plans included a 12,000-square-foot clubhouse with a conference center, but the Houston Golf Association told the Houston Business Journal in an email plans for the space now call for a clubhouse and grill

jZ6pjYb.jpg

• Like 4

I don't believe there were ever plans to make GW a public park, I know they wanted to do the botanical garden there, but that would keep the status quo as far as it not being accessible as a public park.

either way, the buffalo bayou east master plan has got some potential relief for Mason park,

education can go a long way to helping relieve some of the stress on Mason park, MacGregor park and Gragg park are both very underutilized, and also pretty close to the area. I can be at Mason and it's packed, then go to MacGregor park on the same day and it's no where near as many people, but still enough where you don't feel it's completely empty. I never see anyone at Gragg park, although I don't make it by there nearly as often. 

regarding being near MacGregor park and Mason park on the same day frequently, I ride my bike from UH out to Mason park and back again on weekends for exercise (well, not since they have been working on the bridges over Lawndale and Telephone), so I am able to compare their use frequently and on the same day.

I do absolutely agree that Mason park is a highly used park, it's probably got as many people per square foot as Memorial or Hermann park. it's popular. MacGregor not so much?

I am unsure how full Milby park is, but it's pretty close too.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Muni Saved: Revitalizing the Historic Gus Wortham Park Golf Course

The splashiest golfing destination in town

By Gwendolyn Knapp  4/27/2021 at 6:00am  Published in the Spring 2021 issue of Houstonia

HoustonCountryClubCirca1918_publicdomain

Houston Country Club, circa 1918

Built on the banks of Brays Bayou in Houston’s East End in 1908, it was the first 18-hole course in the city, and Howard Hughes reportedly was on the course so regularly that, rumor has it, he used a secret tunnel to take him from his nearby home straight onto the green.

Despite its storied history, this municipal gem, one of the city’s most walkable courses (though you can rent a cart to traverse the rolling hills), had fallen into disrepair over the years. However, it is in the process of being restored to its former greatness as the splashiest golfing destination in town as the end of a multimillion-dollar, five-year revitalization comes into sight. 

When it first opened in the early days of the last century as the members-only Houston Country Club—after moving from the original 45-acre site near Glenwood Cemetery—the 151-acre property, designed by club member A.W. Pollard, attracted local bigwigs Jesse Jones and Gus Wortham, who rubbed elbows with the likes of Bobby Jones and Hughes over a four-decade-long heyday. When the club relocated to posh Tanglewood (naturally) in 1957, Wortham himself purchased the East End course, renaming it the Houston Executive Club. When he sold it to the city for a cool $3.6 million in 1973, the municipal course was renamed in his honor.

By the 2000s, however, the muni was losing money and becoming outdated—it needed capital investment if it hoped to catch up to the world of modern play. The city didn’t have resources to invest and was considering making it the future home of the Dynamos or part of the Houston Botanic Garden instead—both ideas fought vigorously by neighborhood groups and the nonprofit, Friends of Wortham, made up of people who love the course.

In 2015, realizing the Gus Wortham’s historic and cultural significance, the nonprofit Houston Golf Association, which ran the Shell Houston Open for decades, interceded and took over operations through a 30-year contract with the city.

“There were golf legends that played expositions here,” the association’s president, Steve Timms, says. “Bob Jones, Francis Oimet. A lot of the legends of the game had a footprint here.”

With a new master plan in hand, in 2017 the Gus Wortham was shut down for nearly two years as it began an $11 million phased facelift.

The first and most important revitalization was the course itself, which debuted in October 2018 with a new TifEagle Bermuda grass surface, an irrigation lake, a modern feel, and better movement thanks to course architects Finger Dye Spann. It now meets USGA standards, and has a proper 300-yard driving range (the old one was oddly short). The second phase of revitalization, slated to debut this fall, will include a new clubhouse and pro shop, a grill area with restrooms, and a new short game area.

But there’s more to come. Wanting to give back to the community, the HGA has expanded its junior golf program, The First Tee of Greater Houston, in hopes of enticing more neighborhood children to learn the game and life skills. A third phase of renovations, now in the works, with fundraising starting soon, will include a new educational space and more multi-purpose facilities.

In the end, Timms hopes the revitalization will stimulate East End economic activity while paying homage to the course’s history. It already appears to be working. The public played well over 40,000 rounds of golf here in 2019, and 2020 numbers were even higher. The course has hosted two city amateur men’s championships and a high school tournament, and the HGA now operates two munis in Houston with an eye toward revitalization.

Even folks who don’t golf will find reason enough to go—a new two-plus-mile hike-and-bike trail around the course links up to the Brays Bayou Greenway—but for golf lovers, says Timms, “We have topography, elevation changes, and we’ve got beautiful views of the downtown skyline from several of the holes.”

And if that doesn’t get you, near the 12th hole you’ll find “Howard’s Hole,” a brick manhole that might be where Hughes emerged like the gopher in Caddyshack to play his rounds. Now that’s the type of landmark we can get behind.

From: https://www.houstoniamag.com/travel-and-outdoors/2021/04/gus-wortham-park-golf-course-restoration-legacy?utm_content=164021527&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-1115166620

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Gus Wortham Park Golf Course At 7000 Capitol St.