Houston Methodist Outpatient Center At 6445 Main St.

frid

Here's a better version of that previous photo that I took yesterday (2 weeks later) with better light and clouds. I have no idea why this is not in the section "going up"...

2528335442_f2f205f58c_b.jpg

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My colleagues and I were dumbfounded when TMH leadership decided to keep the old Diagnostic Hospital Building standing while the Outpatient Center was constructed. It would have been so simple to bring it down with the other Diagnostic Clinic and Proffesional buildings. The old Diagnostic Hospital, West Tower as TMH refers to it, is a dump, with Select Specialty, a physical therapy and biomedical engineering departments scattered throughout the empty floors. It looks so out of place in the WHR rendering.

• Like 1

2640509608_01348c0625_b.jpg

Here's the current construction status.

I'll ask again: Any admins want to move this to "Going Up"??? I don't see why Med Center projects don't belong in the Going Up group too...

• Like 1

Here's the current construction status.

I'll ask again: Any admins want to move this to "Going Up"??? I don't see why Med Center projects don't belong in the Going Up group too...

Done. If you want topics moved, closed etc. it is better to report it or send a PM since we can't read every post.

Thanks

sub.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's not quite as tall as I thought it would be, unless it's going to have a crown or something. I expected it to be only slightly shorter than the Memorial Hermann tower.

EDIT: I wrote taller but I meant to write shorter than the Hermann Tower.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Yeah it definitely takes up a large volume of space, and its nice to see continuous buildings on both sides of Fannin, but it didn't look that much taller than the existing Methoist building next door. I'm not sure if they changed the plans at the last minute or I just misread them. I thought it was supposed to be a few stories shorter than the Hermann Tower. It's supposed to be 23 stories.

Here are some of the renderings again:

methodist_001.jpg

methodist_002.jpg

Are we sure that it has topped out?

If so, it's going to look absolutely nothing like any of those renderings--not even close.

Is this not just the bottom base, upon which the triangular element will be built? It's hard for me to get perspective based upon these pictures.

Edited by uhlaw09

Are we sure that it has topped out?

If so, it's going to look absolutely nothing like any of those renderings--not even close.

Is this not just the bottom base, upon which the triangular element will be built? It's hard for me to get perspective based upon these pictures.

There's a ceremonial tree to signify "topping out" of the primary structure on the western corner of the current highest point. However, that's not to say more won't be added to the top of the building.

For example, Cemex's building around Memorial City was designed with a unique top, and had a tree raised to the top of the structure back in August. Over several months time, they did work on outfitting the inside and outside of the building and didn't start on completing the wavy rooftop until the end of December. They're still not finished with that, and that's a much smaller building.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

Yeah, I saw the tree too and that's why I thought it was topped out. Somebody should get a good photo of it where we can tell if they have built the angled top part or not. Somehow I think I remember seeing that part already built but don't quote me on that.

Here's a webcam view from Rice that's a bit out of date (I guess since the construction finished at Autry Court they haven't updated it) but you can see the Methodist building from the front, at least how it looked a month ago.

autry-webcam.jpg

Thanks Jax and Channel2 for these pictures. They are much more telling than the previous ones.

Based upon these pictures, I think we're getting the same building as in the renderings (which would be great). Everything matches up with the renderings when looking at the images from the Rice point-of-view. My guess is that they have "topped-out" and will be adding the angled top in addition to what is currently standing. When you look at what gives the rendering its angled effect, it appears to only be equivalent of roughly 2 floors. It seems reasonable that they could construct that after officially "topping-out."

I know nothing about construction, but I would guess that this will undergo a process similar to 2727 Kirby--top out the plain, flat floors and then slowly add on the design features on top as the building is being built-out.