Conway Twitty

Kool and the Gang

Don Williams

Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers

Mel Tillis

Dottie West

Edited by MidtownCoog
  • Like 1

^^^^^ Love that picture of Moe and Joe ! ROFL!

Anne Murray

Eddy Arnold

Merle Haggard

The Oak Ridge Boys

Charley Pride

Mac Davis

The Statler Brothers

Moe Bandy

Joe Stampley

Conway Twitty

Kool and the Gang

Don Williams

Mel Tillis

Dottie West

Dude, that was like 1981, I think I have actually seen every single one of those folks at the Rodeo even Kool and the Gang ! No B.S. ! :lol::lol:

Edited by TJones

• 1 month later...

Here's the 2006 lineup:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story...nt/3574643.html

Now here's 2005:

http://www.houstontravelguide.com/hlsr/

and here's 2004:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...o.14c8b8b7.html

I'm kinda baffled. I actually thought the 2004 lineup was the best ever because it was so diverse, and it STILL had the best in country music out there. There's no hip-hop or R&B whatsoever in the lineup(Alicia Keys, Bow Wow, B2K, Beyonce, Earth Wind & Fire). No one from outside North America (Enrique Iglesias, Keith Urban, etc.). It's almost completely country-themed (with the exception of the traditional black and tejano heritage days, Hilary Duff, Sheryl Crow and Maroon 5.) And I think at LEAST 17 performers on the 2006 lineup were there already in the past :(

Is RodeoHouston going backwards? I thought they were becoming diverse and trying to reach out to a worldwide audience. What's so spectacular about the performers this year from years past? Where's the diversity? What is RodeoHouston thinking? :huh:

Here's the 2006 lineup:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story...nt/3574643.html

Now here's 2005:

http://www.houstontravelguide.com/hlsr/

and here's 2004:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...o.14c8b8b7.html

I'm kinda baffled. I actually thought the 2004 lineup was the best ever because it was so diverse, and it STILL had the best in country music out there. There's no hip-hop or R&B whatsoever in the lineup(Alicia Keys, Bow Wow, B2K, Beyonce, Earth Wind & Fire). No one from outside North America (Enrique Iglesias, Keith Urban, etc.). It's almost completely country-themed (with the exception of the traditional black and tejano heritage days, Hilary Duff, Sheryl Crow and Maroon 5.) And I think at LEAST 17 performers on the 2006 lineup were there already in the past :(

Is RodeoHouston going backwards? I thought they were becoming diverse and trying to reach out to a worldwide audience. What's so spectacular about the performers this year from years past? Where's the diversity? What is RodeoHouston thinking? :huh:

I agree, this year's lineup does leave something to be desired. They have the same "theme" days but the acts aren't nearly as big as usual. I but they won't have as many sellouts as in the past. It looks like they're counting on Spring Break though. The don't usually cross Spring Break.

Since "Brokeback Mountain" is doing so well, you would've at least thought they'd bring in The Village People or something.

The Village People are for the heteros. My people wouldn't mind seeing some Justin Timberlake, BEP, Gwen, Madonna, or Judy Garland "Brokeback Mountain" line up. :D

The Village People are for the heteros. My people wouldn't mind seeing some Justin Timberlake, BEP, Gwen, Madonna, or Judy Garland "Brokeback Mountain" line up. :D

The day the Livestock Show & Rodeo introduces a "Brokeback Mountain" lineup, is the day I return to church, confess my sins, and start preparing for Armageddon. :P

Judy Garland ? I don't want to see some 40 yr. old CORPSE up on stage belting out "over the rainbow !" That is just disgusting ! Kirby, you are a sick puppy. ;):lol:

DJ, they traditionally only have one Tejano day and one Black Heritage day. I don't see any difference in the line-up from 2004 to 2006, they are using the same formula.

Here's an example of how different the lineups are. Excluding Black and Tejano day, let's see how many performers are minorities, or are from another country, making the lineup diverse:

2004: Bow Wow, B2K, Enrique Iglesias, Beyonce

2005: Alicia Keys, Keith Urban (from Australia),

2006: not one

I just liked it better when we had a variety like before. Or at least someone that we haven't seen at the Rodeo before. The only person that stands out as someone different to look forward to for me is Larry the Cable Guy.

Maybe the lineup just has to do with timing. It seems the non country acts in the past were already on tour when they came to Houston, or had a new album to promote. Maybe this year there just weren't as many artists out the there the Rodeo could get, not an effort by the Rodeo to go backwards. For instance, Beyonce is busy making a movie right now. Anyways, that's just my theory, I don't actually know what went into the Rodeo picking process. But Houston native Hilary Duff is returning this year, but hopefully someone else can outsell her, it just doesn't seem right for Hilary Duff to have the Rodeo attendance record.

Here's an example of how different the lineups are. Excluding Black and Tejano day, let's see how many performers are minorities, or are from another country, making the lineup diverse:

2004: Bow Wow, B2K, Enrique Iglesias, Beyonce

2005: Alicia Keys, Keith Urban (from Australia),

2006: not one

I just liked it better when we had a variety like before. Or at least someone that we haven't seen at the Rodeo before. The only person that stands out as someone different to look forward to for me is Larry the Cable Guy.

DJ, did you even read those links ?

2004: What day are Bow Wow and B2K on ? Black Heritage Day

2005: What day is Alicia Keys on ? Black Heritage Day

2006: What day is Maze on ? Black heritage Day

So, we exclude Black Heritage Day, right. Now all you got is Beyonce, Enrique, and Urban left

Nothing diverse about Keith Urban, he sings country,and had a hit record at the time, he's not singing old aboriginal folk songs from the homeland.

You pull Enrique Iglesias out of your arse ? Might as well have asked him back and saved Maroon 5 the trip from LA. Without doing a google search, I dare you to name ONE of Enrique's songs. :lol:

That leaves us with Beyonce', yes, she is black, I will concede that. But that is not why she was at the show. Now, you got Hillary Duff, who sings the same "bubblegum" radio music as Beyonce'. :blink:

SO, I'll ask you, where is the LACK of diversity ? I can't seem to find the "affirmative action clause" that the Rodeo has to abide by. If you don't like what they have to offer, you can make a bigger statement and NOT give them your hard earned dollars. I myself, will be toasting you however, at the Wild Game Cook-Off !

Don't try to make The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo something it is not. Trying to make them out to be racists ? That is ridiculous, go call Rev. Al, I'm sure he has overlooked this year's goings on down at the Rodeo, call Hank Aaron too while your at it, he may be "concerned" over this also.

Your findings are unfounded and ludicrous, please don't be like JASON and try to make another great event in and around Houston out to be some form of deep seeded "White Power" issue ? I could be wrong about you though. I guess you'll be equally upset at the lack of "white" performers at this year's NBA All-Star game. RIGHT ? <_<

Edited by TJones

So, we exclude Black Heritage Day, right. Now all you got is Beyonce, Enrique, and Urban left

Nothing diverse about Keith Urban, he sings country,and had a hit record at the time, he's not singing old aboriginal folk songs from the homeland.

You pull Enrique Iglesias out of your arse ? Might as well have asked him back and saved Maroon 5 the trip from LA. Without doing a google search, I dare you to name ONE of Enrique's songs. :lol:

That leaves us with Beyonce', yes, she is black, I will concede that. But that is not why she was at the show. Now, you got Hillary Duff, who sings the same "bubblegum" radio music as Beyonce'. :blink:

SO, I'll ask you, where is the LACK of diversity ? I can't seem to find the "affirmative action clause" that the Rodeo has to abide by. If you don't like what they have to offer, you can make a bigger statement and NOT give them your hard earned dollars. I myself, will be toasting you however, at the Wild Game Cook-Off !

Don't try to make The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo something it is not. Trying to make them out to be racists ? That is ridiculous, go call Rev. Al, I'm sure he has overlooked this year's goings on down at the Rodeo, call Hank Aaron too while your at it, he may be "concerned" over this also.

Your findings are unfounded and ludicrous, please don't be like JASON and try to make another great event in and around Houston out to be some form of deep seeded "White Power" issue ? I could be wrong about you though. I guess you'll be equally upset at the lack of "white" performers at this year's NBA All-Star game. RIGHT ? <_<

You've TOTALLY misquoted me, dude.

When I mean diverse, I don't mean black and white. I mean diverse in music and international artists.

Keith Urban is a perfect example of diversity in country music. He and Olivia Newton John both wom CMAs in country music, yet neither are American. They're Australian, and displayed how international country music has become. You don't have to be black like me to open doors in music <_<

Enrique Iglesias (without google search by the way, smartass), Rhythm Devine, Balamos, Take away my Love. That's just three. I can name more if you like. Could you? Mind you, I'm a dj. How would I not know? <_<

Beyonce. She sings pop R&B. I've NEVER heard Hilary Duff on 97.9 The Box. Hilary Duff: an actress singing on the side. Beyonce: a singer that acts on the side. Hilary Duff: music most played on the Disney Channel. Beyonce: Mostly played in the clubs. Do you only see them similar because you consider both "bubblegum?" How old are you?

Whatever the NBA decides to do is the NBA's business. I'm not even sure why you mentioned Hank Aaron or Al Sharpton, or why you think I'm calling HLS&R racists. Stop assuming that I'm trying to make this a color issue. And no, I'm not buying tickets this year.

MY complaint is that to me, HLS&R is the biggest annual event hosted by the city of Houston. I personally feel that it has the potential of an internationally recognized event. The events are the same every year, but what seems to be the headline each year are the musical acts. I don't understand how by eliminating hip-hop, r&b, having only one day of tejano music, and having very few newcomers makes this rodeo any more recognizable than it was last year. And it shames me, because I feel the Houston rodeo DESERVES to be recognized more than it is (especially for the riders and participants). I want to see HLS&R take it to the next level year after year.

TJones, do you think HLS&R has taken it to the next level? And are you done branding me as a race-card waving dude?

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Let me start by saying you won't see me at the Rodeo, regardless of the talent. Last time I went was to see Bob Dylan, of all people! I got over my "Urban Cowboy" phase 25 years ago.

That being said, I must come to the defense of the Fatstock show. While I understand and applaud the Rodeo's acknowledgement and promotion of the contributions of African-Americans and Hispanics to the herding of cattle, that does not extend to putting performers completely unrelated to the craft on the bill. It is bad enough that the Rodeo must put Cheryl Crow and John Fogerty on the list to boost attendance, but DJ is demanding that they put "international" talent on stage to make it an international event.

DJ, I gotta tell you. I don't go to Rio expecting to see Usher or Smashing Pumpkins. I don't go to Pamplona looking for Beyonce or George Strait. The Houston LS&R IS international. It is the largest rodeo and the third largest fair or festival of any kind in North America, drawing close to 2 million visitors a year. While I like the fact that Houston has largely shed its image as a redneck town, I do still love to see the city show off its cowboy roots for 3 weeks in the spring each year.

Why should the Rodeo further dilute it's cowboy heritage by bringing in non-western acts? This will do NOTHING to enhance its western and rodeo status, only water down its message. Aside from being a horrible saying, that should be banned from the lexicon, "taking it to the next level" can be interpreted differently by different people. Your take seems to be by taking the Rodeo further away from its mission of promoting livestock and Houston's western heritage. Thankfully, the organizers of the Rodeo disagree.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is definitely one of the premier events held every year in Houston, and we always look forward to it. The music line-up is always interesting to hear about, but there are so many other parts to the show. The parade down Memorial, the trailriders arriving from all over the place, the animals exhibited at the show, the art contests for schoolchildren, the quilt contest, the educational programs put on during the show, the myriad of vendors, all the countless volunteers who love to help out, the chili cook-off, the bull riding contests, meeting people from all over the state, the animal auctions that help fund the scholarships for college, etc. There's so many different parts to love about the rodeo, the music is just one. If I had the chance to determine the line-up, I would pick all Texas artists, with Shake Russell and Dana Cooper as the rodeo opener singing "The Eyes of Texas" :wub:

Edited by pineda

I seriously don't think DJ was bringing us this point to be "racist" or even "PC." He was simply offering up an opinion that the rodeo "typically" has a better lineup. The performers just aren't as big this year. I believe it was TJones who is bringing up Rev. Al and affirmative action. This thread was not about skin color or ethnicity.

I've attended the rodeo for probably 23 of the last 25 years. I typically go see a pop or non-country artist just because that is my taste. Maybe that's why I agree with DJ, the non country acts this year are sub par (e.g., Maze is no Alicia Keys). The rodeo usually does a better job of providing options for those who love the rodeo but not country music.

Long live HLSR and the pig races!